9 Old-Time Cures Doctors Swear By (and 3 to Skip)

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
175444988.jpg

Classic treatments we grew up with are making a comeback, thanks to fresh research confirming their powers. Here's why you should reach (again) for the Pepto, prunes, and other throwback cures
:eusa_angel:

Doncha love it when modern scientists confirm what our grandmothers already knew? The salt water gargle has always worked for me. Prunes? I like the taste but Metamucil has always worked better. Read more @ 9 Old-Time Cures Doctors Swear By (and 3 to Skip) | TIME.com

Would take exception to the first one, Ben-Gay. Topical aspirin carries greater risks of accidental overdoses than ingested forms. Was a story a few years ago about highschool athletes dying from overdoses of topic aspirins like Ben-Gay.

Teen Dies From Muscle Cream Overdose | Fox News

Topical Pain Medications – Sports Creams and Gels

One athlete. Sorry, but the cure for being to dumb to read instructions hasn't been found yet.

I always thought the steak on a black eye was just a old joke

175444988.jpg

Classic treatments we grew up with are making a comeback, thanks to fresh research confirming their powers. Here's why you should reach (again) for the Pepto, prunes, and other throwback cures
:eusa_angel:

Doncha love it when modern scientists confirm what our grandmothers already knew? The salt water gargle has always worked for me. Prunes? I like the taste but Metamucil has always worked better. Read more @ 9 Old-Time Cures Doctors Swear By (and 3 to Skip) | TIME.com

how do rabbit turds help

Would take exception to the first one, Ben-Gay. Topical aspirin carries greater risks of accidental overdoses than ingested forms. Was a story a few years ago about highschool athletes dying from overdoses of topic aspirins like Ben-Gay.

Teen Dies From Muscle Cream Overdose | Fox News

Topical Pain Medications – Sports Creams and Gels

One athlete. Sorry, but the cure for being to dumb to read instructions hasn't been found yet.

I always thought the steak on a black eye was just a old joke

Been more than one. As to the steak thing, it actually works, some reaction with the meat's protein and our skin like, but as the thing says the bacteria in uncooked meat creates an extra unwarranted risk.

Worth mentioning topical aspirins like Ben-Gay don't work according to large studies. Aspirin works if ingested, but not applied onto the skin. Reason being, I would think having looked into other things we put on our skin is the surface layer of our skin dies as we shed it and that's what's absorbing the aspirin creams. So just as sunscreen and scents aren't absorbed in large quanitites into our bloodstreams through our skin, neither is aspirin.

When athletes have died from these things it's because they greatly exceeded the dosage instructions. So while very little per dose made it into their blood, because they used too much the effect was cumulative.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back