7 Books We Lost to History That Would Have Changed the World

☭proletarian☭;2078661 said:

I was familiar with Archimedes work. There's actually a lot of mathematics books that are lost to history that likely would have revolutionized science.

And the lost of the Museum and the House of Wisdom is sometimes cited by historians as one of the major set backs of the human race. If half the stuff that's claimed to have gone on at the Musuem is true, we'd have been colonizing the moon in the 1600's instead of the New World.

For a crazy Archimedes related story, you should look up the recovery of The Method. That book was lost as lost could be until a crazy set of circumstances led to the discovery of a surving copy.

One of the biggest atrocities the Romans ever committed was to burn the Great Library at Alexandria.

:(

And to hell with the Mongols!

Weirdly interesting. As I get older I sometimes think there is nothing new under the sun. Progress is gawd awful slow. Maybe the EU has finally figured out how to stop having wars with each other every thirty years, but the rest of the crazy world is still somewhere in the 17th or 18th century. Technology precedes quickly with all sorts of wonderful devices that do good things, but they also pollute the world and solve the touchy problem of shitting your scared pants as you kill the enemy - now done from a command center in middle America. Now when you kill you can go home and hug the dog. Pinker says violence has lessened but tell that to the nutcases hording guns and ammo, and flying planes into buildings. Of course for some, a bunch of hotties wait on the other side of the explosion. St Peter may tell them they entered the wrong door though.

I have been reading Manchester's 'the glory and the dream' and it may be the best history book I have read except it so parallels today it is astounding. Obama is FDR. Beck is Coughlin. etc etc - Read it for an eye opening.

Edge: A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE By Steven Pinker

Last edited:

Forum List

Back