6.0 Quake hits Bay Area

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
The report says it's 6.0, although that could change.

Magnitude 6.0 earthquake reported in Napa County - SFGate

08-24) 03:49 PDT AMERICAN CANYON-- A magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck 3 miles northwest of American Canyon (Napa County) at 3:20 a.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was felt widely throughout Northern California and had a depth of 6.7 miles, officials said.

In Benicia, several miles from the epicenter, the quake was strong enough to knocked pictures off mantles.

08-24) 03:49 PDT AMERICAN CANYON-- A magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck 3 miles northwest of American Canyon (Napa County) at 3:20 a.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was felt widely throughout Northern California and had a depth of 6.7 miles, officials said.

In Benicia, several miles from the epicenter, the quake was strong enough to knocked pictures off mantles.

Just got a message from a friend who was woke up by the quake near SF

Nothing new for Cali.

I went through three when I lived there back in the 90's. One I was working at a Nuclear plant. shook the ground a little and the lights in the building was swaying back and forth. this is just something most people there shrug off

Anything over a 5.2 or so is a pretty good freakin' jolt. A 6.0 is ten times more powerful than a 5.0.

I was there for the 7.1 Loma Prieta. Not cool. I don't wanna do THAT again.

When the Hayward fault goes, they're gonna have a real problem, the whole Bay Area.

I lived in Benecia. And Dublin for the 7.1 in '89. 6 will get your attention. Depth is very shallow as quakes go, good thing it didn't happen at sea. While 6 isn't big enough to cause a Pacific-effect tsunami, it could cause a local one that'd flood the immediate coastal vicinity.

During the 7.1 I was on the 2nd floor of a duplex in bed. My initial thought was a semi had crashed into the house. Bedroom walls were swaying visibly which was anew and disconcerting experience. Was out of bed, down the stairs, and outside in about 5 seconds. :)

I lived in Benecia. And Dublin for the 7.1 in '89. 6 will get your attention. Depth is very shallow as quakes go, good thing it didn't happen at sea. While 6 isn't big enough to cause a Pacific-effect tsunami, it could cause a local one that'd flood the immediate coastal vicinity.

During the 7.1 I was on the 2nd floor of a duplex in bed. My initial thought was a semi had crashed into the house. Bedroom walls were swaying visibly which was anew and disconcerting experience. Was out of bed, down the stairs, and outside in about 5 seconds. :)

Yeah, that was a sumbitch. We lost a bunch of glasses and I got thrown up against a wall.

We lived in a townhouse complex, and we all wandered out to the middle area. A few minutes later our next door neighbor -- he had just moved to California about two weeks prior -- came out with a large bottle of Jack Daniels and a glass. He looked around and said:

"Does this happen very often?"

:laugh:

Magnitude 6.0 earthquake hits Napa Valley region

I mentioned in another thread I went through a 7.9 -8.0 in Alaska when I lived there
talk a about a JOLT
Luckily Alaska is so sparse the damage it caused was spread out. not like in Cali when it hits places like San Francisco

Anything over a 5.2 or so is a pretty good freakin' jolt. A 6.0 is ten times more powerful than a 5.0.

I was there for the 7.1 Loma Prieta. Not cool. I don't wanna do THAT again.

When the Hayward fault goes, they're gonna have a real problem, the whole Bay Area.
No joke. I lived on the Hayward fault in the 1970s. If it had happened then, it would have been really bad. I can't imagine how much worse today with the growth that has happened in the Bay Area.

This quake couldn't have been too bad in Sacramento though. I haven't received a call from either of My sons or from My brother or sister. They all probably slept through it. lol

Yeah, that was a sumbitch. We lost a bunch of glasses and I got thrown up against a wall.

We lived in a townhouse complex, and we all wandered out to the middle area. A few minutes later our next door neighbor -- he had just moved to California about two weeks prior -- came out with a large bottle of Jack Daniels and a glass. He looked around and said:

"Does this happen very often?"

:laugh:

Asked similar when I moved here about tornados. "Get many tornados here?" - "None." She totally lied. Have had em in town almost every year. Just little ones F0 or short-lived F1 like but still. One was close enough I went outside to check it out (being the sort of moron to rushes to the coast to see the tsunami hehe) and I could see the debris cloud swirling around. Had 2x4 type debris raining down in our parking lot. Interesting change from quakes. :)

Forum List

Back