$50K reward offered for return of $2M gold tabernacle stolen from Brooklyn church

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A $50,000 reward is being offered for the return of a centuries-old solid gold tabernacle worth an estimated $2 million ripped from the altar of the St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church in Brooklyn, New York, in May.

Robert Brennan, bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn, announced in a statement Tuesday that the insurance company that covers diocesan properties is offering the reward for information leading to the recovery of the multimillion-dollar relic in addition to a $3,500 reward offered by the New York Police Department.

"We continue to pray for the one-of-a-kind Tabernacle, made possible by the original parishioners of St. Augustine, to be returned and then restored, in all its glory, to the heart of this church. However, the theft of this historical item has not robbed the faith of the people of this parish," Brennan said in his statement.

Police suspect the theft of the 18-karat gold tabernacle occurred sometime between 6:30 p.m. Thursday and 4 p.m. on May 28, according to reports. Thieves likely used power tools to "forcefully cut open" the altar to get to the tabernacle, police say. They decapitated angels flanking the relic and scattered the Holy Eucharist at the altar.

Diocese officials said that the tabernacle, which dates back to when the church was built in the late 1800s, "is irreplaceable due to its historical and artistic value."

I bet it was melted down the next morning.

Looks to me the melt value alone could have helped a lot of people.

A $50,000 reward is being offered for the return of a centuries-old solid gold tabernacle worth an estimated $2 million ripped from the altar of the St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church in Brooklyn, New York, in May.

Robert Brennan, bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn, announced in a statement Tuesday that the insurance company that covers diocesan properties is offering the reward for information leading to the recovery of the multimillion-dollar relic in addition to a $3,500 reward offered by the New York Police Department.

"We continue to pray for the one-of-a-kind Tabernacle, made possible by the original parishioners of St. Augustine, to be returned and then restored, in all its glory, to the heart of this church. However, the theft of this historical item has not robbed the faith of the people of this parish," Brennan said in his statement.

Police suspect the theft of the 18-karat gold tabernacle occurred sometime between 6:30 p.m. Thursday and 4 p.m. on May 28, according to reports. Thieves likely used power tools to "forcefully cut open" the altar to get to the tabernacle, police say. They decapitated angels flanking the relic and scattered the Holy Eucharist at the altar.

Diocese officials said that the tabernacle, which dates back to when the church was built in the late 1800s, "is irreplaceable due to its historical and artistic value."

Shoot. Why not sell the Declaration of Independence? I'm sure the proceeds could help a lot of people as well.

Melted down, it probably wouldn't bring in any where close to $2 million.

To rob a Church....

That's the lowest of the low....

But then in these satanic, leftists times nothing surprises me. :(

Forum List

Back