4 Y.O. Child Denied Access To School Because They Don't Like His Hair

why were these nasty hair styles acceptable?View attachment 152407 View attachment 152407 bad hair.jpg

Attachments

• bad hair 2.jpg
    bad hair 2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 44
His weirdo looks disrupt the entire class.

Then so should all the girls with long hair as well. I can't tell you all the crazy looks and things various people had when I went to high school in the 70's and non of them disrupted me. We could even smoke in class. I guess people were a lot tougher, more understanding and tolerant then.

A lot of judgmental people on here. I grew up in the 60s and 70s, when long hair was the norm. It was looked down on by the establishment then, but you would think people wouldn't be so narrow minded today.

Children all across this great country are being refused access to public schools they pay for with their taxes for the most trivial of reasons.

Mom Is Devastated After 4-Year-Old Was Kicked Out of School for Having Long Hair

A 4 year-old is attending Pre-K..

Exactly! What difference could it make the length of a child's hair? In this age of non-discrimination and diversity, how odd that they would allow a girl long hair but not a boy. Just what is the problem here really. The "school" cares not one watt the psychological harm they might do this child. No, their asinine, fascist "rules" matter more to them than the children they serve.

What about the psychological harm caused by his not being accepted by his fellow students?

As for the school, well, I've long said that schools should stay out of hair and fashion related matters. So long as students show up clean and clothed, what they look like with their hair dos and hair don'ts and fashion faux pas really isn't the school's business.

Exactly. The school's job is to educate the child, not socially engineer them. One kid was held back 40 days? Would they hold the kid back forever? Have to move to a different state? Kid's educations and futures are being played with over totally trivial matters. Who are these sanctimonious asses that think their rules must be so absolute? They could have hair length merely as a "suggested guideline!" What does this say for the kind of country we are becoming? Frankly, I don't know why parents don't organize and boycott these schools are charge the school boards with charges------ but, Oh, I forgot---- the school board has ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY. They sit high up looking down on the lowly taxpayer who is under THEIR THUMB.

As goes grooming, particularly hairstyles/hair length, I find it odd that in the wake of all the controversy some years back about black kids being permitted (or not) to wear braids and dreds, and other Afrocentric hairstyles. It seems reasonable to me that white kids would wear their hair long like folks from Old Europe to 18the and 19th century America may well have done.

And let's be honest, that boy and his look great and the style is age appropriate. Plus, very cute boys like the Ms. Oates boy look all that much cuter with long locks. (That doesn't really stop being so when one ages. Women love hot guys with long hair.) So why the punish the kid for being cute and "workin' it?"

Why any school would give a damn about hairstyles and kindergarteners is beyond me. AFAIK/-can recall, there were no hair length or hair style proscriptions even at either of the high schools my kids attended. The parochial one had the more rigid dress code, but it's not exactly a hard one to follow and doesn't ask the kids to wear things they probably wouldn't otherwise wear to school anywhere.

Dress Code at the "stricter" of my kids' schools:
“Morning School Dress” refers to the dress code for the academic day, from 8 a.m. to 3:10 p.m., when dress should reflect the serious purpose of classroom study. For classes and most meals, boys must wear collared shirts and/or sweaters, and pants, such as khakis or corduroys. Girls must wear appropriate tops, pants, skirts, and dresses. T-shirts and jeans (blue or black) are not allowed for “Morning School Dress,” though they are acceptable during nonacademic hours.

For Sunday Chapel, boys wear suits or coats and ties with trousers and nonathletic shoes. Girls wear dresses or skirts or slacks with a blouse or sweater. Chapel dress should reflect the respectful attitude expected in a religious service.

Throughout the fall and spring terms, students and faculty gather for family-style “sit-down” dinners once a week. Morning school dress or Sunday Chapel dress is appropriate for “sit-down” meals.

New England weather is variable: students will want to have shorts and short-sleeved shirts for early fall and late spring, and pants, warm sweaters, a warm winter coat, snow boots, a hat, and a pair of gloves for the months in between, as well as dresses/skirts or coats and ties for Sunday Chapel and special events. All students are expected to participate in sports and therefore should bring athletic clothing and gear, if possible. Limited items are available for purchase at School.​

Dress code at the more lenient school:
The following dress code is required in classes, assemblies, when representing Exeter at other schools and colleges, and for occasions when “dress code” attire is specified. Because fashions change rapidly, members of the community should keep in mind that the purpose of the dress code is to reflect the discipline and seriousness of purpose we associate with academic pursuits and other occasions requiring dress code attire. This principle governs any question about an item of dress deemed inappropriate, but not specifically listed in the code.

This attire is defined as follows:
dress shirt*, sweater, turtleneck, dress, ethnic or religious attire.
* “Dress shirt” is defined as a blouse, polo or collared shirt.​

General Guidelines:
All hemlines must be at least fingertip length; all clothing must be clean and in good repair; no hats, athletic wear (e.g., leggings worn as pants, mesh shorts, sweatshirts, T-shirts), strapless tops or tops with straps less than two inches wide, or apparel that reveals the midriff, buttocks or chest.
And even at that, enforcing the dress code comes down not to whether one is strictly within the letter of it, but rather whether one simply looks presentable.​

Be that as it may, I'm not going to intimate that schools of all sorts don't at times have a provincial/mercurial way of handlings things. They do. That they do apparently isn't unique to any genre of school either.
I don't think that episode warranted either child being expelled unless one of them forced themselves on the other. But that's me and recalling my life at 15 years old, and what I recall is equal measures of, shall we say, enthusiasm between myself and the girls who fancied me. That said, I don't know what went on between those kids.

Children all across this great country are being refused access to public schools they pay for with their taxes for the most trivial of reasons.

Mom Is Devastated After 4-Year-Old Was Kicked Out of School for Having Long Hair

Exactly! What difference could it make the length of a child's hair? In this age of non-discrimination and diversity, how odd that they would allow a girl long hair but not a boy. Just what is the problem here really. The "school" cares not one watt the psychological harm they might do this child. No, their asinine, fascist "rules" matter more to them than the children they serve.

What about the psychological harm caused by his not being accepted by his fellow students?
shame on the parents for not teaching their kids about acceptance

shame on the parents for not teaching their kids about acceptance

True, but that is the world we live in.

A lot of judgmental people on here. I grew up in the 60s and 70s, when long hair was the norm. It was looked down on by the establishment then, but you would think people wouldn't be so narrow minded today.

Some people are really sick and tired of your people's shit.

Forum List

Back