300 Win Mag vs 300 WSM

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
Trying to decide on a next rifle. Probably a Winchester 70 Supergrade in either WinMag or WSM.
WinMag advantages:
-More standard cartridge. Can buy ammo anywhere
-Better resale value
-Bigger range of bullet loadings available

WSM advantages
-Short action = less weight
-Less recoil
-More accurate.

But I plan to load for it.
Anyone have experience with either cartridge?

Actually there is little, if anything, that either will do that can't be done as well with a .30-'06 or .308/7.62mm in a short action. A short light magnum adds more recoil and muzzle blast and that seems too big a price to pay for any actual increase in performance. I recently bought a Savage in 7mm-o8 that may well become my favorite short action round although the .308 is hard to beat.

If you like the 7mm-08 ,,, Check out the .284 win. It been causing a lot of stir in Mid range shooting...

Have long been a fan of the 7X57 and have found nothing wanting in it's performance on deer. My Son and grandson have rifles in .280 Rem. that they like very much for deer so I've always assumed the .284 would work well just never have found a rifle in that cal. I could afford when I had any money.

Have long been a fan of the 7X57 and have found nothing wanting in it's performance on deer. My Son and grandson have rifles in .280 Rem. that they like very much for deer so I've always assumed the .284 would work well just never have found a rifle in that cal. I could afford when I had any money.
I have two 7 X 57's now, and wouldn't part with them. I've had two more, but that was years ago and sold them like a fool. I'll buy another one if I can find a good deal on it. They have been my favorite since my first one back in 1975. I bought another one in 1993. I sold those two like an idiot. I have had 30-06, 30-30, used 308, and would pick a 7 X 57 over any that I've had or used. I also had a 338, but traded it for one of the 7 X 57's that I have now.

I have a .338 Lapua and it occupies the far right-back corner of the Gun Safe... I bet that gun has not been shot by anyone in the family for over ten years and their are 50 cases prepped and ready to load in a now blue box with the ammo...

I have two 7 X 57's now, and wouldn't part with them. I've had two more, but that was years ago and sold them like a fool. I'll buy another one if I can find a good deal on it. They have been my favorite since my first one back in 1975. I bought another one in 1993. I sold those two like an idiot. I have had 30-06, 30-30, used 308, and would pick a 7 X 57 over any that I've had or used. I also had a 338, but traded it for one of the 7 X 57's that I have now.
I love the 7x57.

A reloader's delight.

I love the 7x57.

A reloader's delight.
Do you reload? I have 107 that need reloading.

Trying to decide on a next rifle. Probably a Winchester 70 Supergrade in either WinMag or WSM.
WinMag advantages:
-Better resale value

WSM advantages
-Less recoil
-More accurate.

300 Win Mag lept out at me. Used to read a lot about ballistics, and the 300 Win Mag came in no. 1 for bullet drop at 500 meters. Only 35.3 inches if memory serves.

WinMag advantages:
-Better resale value

WSM advantages
-Less recoil
-More accurate.

300 Win Mag lept out at me. Used to read a lot about ballistics, and the 300 Win Mag came in no. 1 for bullet drop at 500 meters. Only 35.3 inches if memory serves.
The WSM will do about the same. Only advantage to WM is more bullet choice and more availability.

WinMag advantages:
-Better resale value

WSM advantages
-Less recoil
-More accurate.

The WSM will do about the same. Only advantage to WM is more bullet choice and more availability.

Would say if both would be enjoyed by you, as with cars, work out ammo (fuel) efficiency. If one offers a significant advantage and you're not shooting it as much as you would if the ammo weren't as expesnive, go for the cheaper ammo option.

I have a .338 Lapua and it occupies the far right-back corner of the Gun Safe... I bet that gun has not been shot by anyone in the family for over ten years and their are 50 cases prepped and ready to load in a now blue box with the ammo...

I had the "Pleasure?" of zeroing in a 338 winchester mag on the Mod 70 frame. It appears the Lupas is pretty much equal to the 338 Win Mag and that would not be a fun round to go plunking with.

WinMag advantages:
-Better resale value

WSM advantages
-Less recoil
-More accurate.

I believe, bullet weight being equal, the .300WM generates more ft. lbs of energy out to about 250 yards, then the 7mm Rem Mag begins to win out.

Where did you get THAT info?? The seven mm does have a little more speed but it NEVER passes the WM with ft.lbs.

At one time, I looked at the 444 marlin V 300 H&H Mag at 300 yds. Just looking at the ballistic charts, the 2400 fps of the 444 vs the excess of 3700 for the 300 says that the 444 marlin is a very bad choice. At 300 yds, the 444 drops below 2200 fps and the 300 is still over 3300. Both shooting 200 and 240 grain ammo. But there is another factor involved that makes the 444 marlin head and shoulders over the 300. It's cross bullet density which the .429 vs .30 means that at 300 yds the 444 smokes all 30 calibers hands down. It won't be until 500 yds before the 30 cal catches up. This is where the 444 starts to degrade severely and the 30 cal is still pretty constant. The 7.62 v 7, the 7 would have to markedly faster and swing a heavier slug to beat out almost any of the 30 cal magnums. But if you increase the bullet weight you also lose fps if you don't push it harder. At some point, the 7mm gets a kick that I don't care to experience. The 30 cal Mags are bad enough.

Where did you get THAT info?? The seven mm does have a little more speed but it NEVER passes the WM with ft.lbs.
I think way out there it does, due to superior ballistic coefficient.
But, there are tables and graphs for that.

Forum List

Back