2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2006_02_26-2006_03_04.shtml#1141082874

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Odd, I must have missed UltimoTroll David2004's rebuttal. :laugh:

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Damn, I posted the wrong entry! :laugh:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2006_02_26-2006_03_04.shtml#1141082874

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Many states do not allow convicted felons to own or otherwise posess firearms. Some I know used to not let them vote. Not sure how current that is.

W "say" once a convicted person has served his sentence he/she is forgiven, but I think more often than not the stigma stays with them for the rest of their lives.

Does a completed prison sentence sufficiently answer to being accountable for one's actions? I say it depends on the crime, but the politically correct will have NONE of that type of dsicriminatory review.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hell, I don't want them able to vote, much less have legal access to arms. :firing:

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    At some point, especially if convicted of a non-violent felony, one should be able to regain their rights to vote and to bear arms.

7. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Im suprised at you Kathy. When a person has served their debt to society, they should regain all their rights that they held before their conviction. They did the crime. They paid their punishment. They should be able to rejoin society.

One thing i thought about while the whole allowing felons to vote thing came during the election about was, why shouldnt they be able to vote? They are still citizens of this country. They have the right to decide who the leaders are. They pay taxes from prison so they should be able to vote.

It looks like a clever way for politicians back then to eliminate those that they didnt want voting by creating the "No felon can vote" law then passing numerous Felonies for not paying child support, drunk driving, etc. This way they could easily remove those people that they didnt want effecting the vote through petty felonies. Its scary how manipulative our government has been for at least a century when you think about it.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Sorry, I disagree. Those that are convicted of serious crimes, whether or not they serve time, have given up the priviledge of voting as well as gun ownership. It's all about choice. Just like being convicted of sexual crime can put quite a limit on where you live and where you work.

9. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    I disagree. To what point have they "paid there debt to society"? Just because a person is convicted and serves a set amount of time behind bars, doesn't mean that all should be swept away under the rug so to speak. There are many crimes in which it may not be prudent to keep someone behind bars their whole life (or at all), but it would be prudent to keep "an eye" on them for the rest of their lives. Who is to say someone has or has not finished paying his "debt" to society? We are. "We" as in those who have not broken the law and have the right to vote about such issues. Letting people out of jail and denying them certain rights is a perfectly good compromise. I do not define "paying a debt to society" by a set amount of time spend in a jail. In fact I don't even believe in the term "paying a debt to society". If somebody in my community is convicted of a crime, I don't need or want him to "pay" anything to society whether it be money, time or his life. I want that person WATCHED, whether it be 5 months probation or 25 years behind bars, to ensure he does not commit more crimes...until it can be reasonably assumed he will NOT commit such crimes again. Do you think child molesters should have a set amount of time in jail and then when they get out, all their rights are given back? Of course not, such people need to be watched for their entire lives...even after their jail time. And do you not see the danger in giving political power to convicts? Our politicans would be making promises to them(such as promising shorter sentences)! That would lead us to a very dark place...

10. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Kath be sure to post that Isreali border article in the other section its a good one ^^ :dance: