29 years ago today we witnessed the birth of Black Privilege

Black privilege in school admissions and jobs hiring.
We have the highest unemployment rate and lowest college admissions, but you right wing fools try to tell us we are privileged.
I agree that the justice system does not favor POOR black folks, but anyone that is rich will have a big advantage in court regardless of their skin color.
Well we know that's false as well. We can just look at blacks from Sammy Davis Jr to Lauryn Hill.

In a hundred years Racists will still whine about the OJ trial. It’s amazing.

Obviously you didn’t see the defense challenge every single piece of evidence. They utterly discredited the lead Detective. Catching him in a lie on the stand. Every day the press report was something along the lines of “the prosecution suffered another setback today” as the trial went on.

The trial didn’t show Black Privilege. It showed what can happen when you can afford to hire every great Defense attorney in the nation.

But for Racists. It is just not fair.
Murder it seems will always be around. What we fail to see is what kind of murder it was. It was not quick with a gun of some type. He nearly decapitated two people with a knife. That means a man in rage and not for a couple of seconds. Not a nice way to die. If there are any.

Murder it seems will always be around. What we fail to see is what kind of murder it was. It was not quick with a gun of some type. He nearly decapitated two people with a knife. That means a man in rage and not for a couple of seconds. Not a nice way to die. If there are any.

That doesn’t have anything to do with the trial.

Look. Let’s be honest. Marcia Clark thought it was a slam dunk case. Until her first witness was cross examined. Detective Furhman. It was then that Clark realized that she was facing the best, most determined Defense Attorneys in the nation.

Furhman was caught in a lie. He ended up taking the Fifth Amendment on the stand. He was utterly discredited. A key piece of evidence was in doubt.

Clark overcompensated. She went overboard and proceeded to bore the jury to tears with scientific explanations of the new science of DNA identification. Coupled with errors admitted by the police in collection of some of the samples, the science was viewed as witchcraft by the time the Defense was done.

The case showed what happens when the best Defense Attorneys in the nation are given a huge budget to work with. It wasn’t about the race of the Defendant. It was all about the skill of the Defense Attorneys and the mistakes made by the Prosecution.

That doesn’t have anything to do with the trial.

Look. Let’s be honest. Marcia Clark thought it was a slam dunk case. Until her first witness was cross examined. Detective Furhman. It was then that Clark realized that she was facing the best, most determined Defense Attorneys in the nation.

Furhman was caught in a lie. He ended up taking the Fifth Amendment on the stand. He was utterly discredited. A key piece of evidence was in doubt.

Clark overcompensated. She went overboard and proceeded to bore the jury to tears with scientific explanations of the new science of DNA identification. Coupled with errors admitted by the police in collection of some of the samples, the science was viewed as witchcraft by the time the Defense was done.

The case showed what happens when the best Defense Attorneys in the nation are given a huge budget to work with. It wasn’t about the race of the Defendant. It was all about the skill of the Defense Attorneys and the mistakes made by the Prosecution.

And a jury dominated by individuals who were determined to find OJ innocent.

And a jury dominated by individuals who were determined to find OJ innocent.

No. Not really. What happened is the Defense filed a motion to get a jury who didn’t read newspapers. So when that motion was granted you ended up with a jury pool that was simply put, happy being ignorant. They were not curious about the world, and were apathetic about that lack of curiosity.

Your assertion would indicate a level of interest that was actually weeded out of the jurors. They were not activists. They were apathetic. More reason the complicated DNA evidence was mistrusted. Picture a farmer from the Dust Bowl getting talked to about the future of Rockets. His only question would be this matters to me how?

Without a foundation of knowledge any scientific advancement, especially a new one, is doubted, mistrusted. Look at the hysterics over the Covid shot as proof. The doubters are not going to listen to the Medical Experts. People with the knowledge. They would rather go with something familiar, comfortable.

As I have maintained for years now. The OJ verdict was not a race statement. It wasn’t an endorsement of Black crime. It was a brilliant performance by the Defense Attorneys. People who were practically legends before the trial.

Not according to the US Justice System he didn't. Funny how you want to label OJ a murderer, but Chauvin was a miscarriage of Justice. Smfh.

Actually the two cases are an excellent comparison. In the OJ trial the lawyers challenged every witness, every piece of evidence. If a witness said it was two o’clock they were challenged on it.

In the Chauvin Trial there was little of that. Most of the witnesses for the Prosecution got little more than how are you doing as cross examination. The experts put forth in rebuttal were destroyed in cross examination by the Prosecution. They did more harm to Chauvin than the prosecutions witnesses did.

There were a lot of reasons for that. The video and the fact that Chauvin was a cop who filed a full report on the incident. So Chauvin was trapped by his own previous statements.

There was no hammering of the prosecution witnesses. I mean they got Furhman to take the Fifth while testifying for the Prosecution. The press even discussed the possibility that Furhman might end up charged with Perjury for the testimony.

The two cases were different in every single way.

Actually the two cases are an excellent comparison. In the OJ trial the lawyers challenged every witness, every piece of evidence. If a witness said it was two o’clock they were challenged on it.

In the Chauvin Trial there was little of that. Most of the witnesses for the Prosecution got little more than how are you doing as cross examination. The experts put forth in rebuttal were destroyed in cross examination by the Prosecution. They did more harm to Chauvin than the prosecutions witnesses did.

There were a lot of reasons for that. The video and the fact that Chauvin was a cop who filed a full report on the incident. So Chauvin was trapped by his own previous statements.

There was no hammering of the prosecution witnesses. I mean they got Furhman to take the Fifth while testifying for the Prosecution. The press even discussed the possibility that Furhman might end up charged with Perjury for the testimony.

The two cases were different in every single way.
No the biggest difference was one was on video and the other one wasn't. I don't need to ask the time, because I can see the time on the video. I don't need to ask a bunch of specific questions for the simple fact I can see it on video. That's the difference.

No the biggest difference was one was on video and the other one wasn't. I don't need to ask the time, because I can see the time on the video. I don't need to ask a bunch of specific questions for the simple fact I can see it on video. That's the difference.

The beating of Rodney King was on Video. And the cops were acquitted for one simple reason. And it wasn’t racism. The expert on the use of force was cornered with a brilliant question. Which blow was excessive? Which of the many blow’s occurred after Rodney had stopped kicking and lashing out. The man couldn’t identify the excessive blows and that cut the legs out of the case.

That case was winnable by the Prosecution. But they went the wrong way. The cops knew what they were supposed to do. They wrote in the reports that they had done it. They didn’t do it in real life however. Instead of attacking it as corrupt cops who lied on their reports to cover up the excessive action, they went after the excessive action ignoring the lies on the reports.

Court cases are curious mixes of strategic and tactical thinking. The OJ defense had a great strategic plan, and exceptional tactical ability.

By far, the biggest "injustice" in our system is the number of times that clearly guilty, repeat offenders, offenders or ALL races, walk out of court with suspended sentence or charges withdrawn because a judge will buy their sob stories about having a hard life or undiagnosed mental issues.

I console myself by knowing with a certainty that they will soon get arrested again for another crime and, eventually, they will get locked up.

The beating of Rodney King was on Video. And the cops were acquitted for one simple reason. And it wasn’t racism. The expert on the use of force was cornered with a brilliant question. Which blow was excessive? Which of the many blow’s occurred after Rodney had stopped kicking and lashing out. The man couldn’t identify the excessive blows and that cut the legs out of the case.

That case was winnable by the Prosecution. But they went the wrong way. The cops knew what they were supposed to do. They wrote in the reports that they had done it. They didn’t do it in real life however. Instead of attacking it as corrupt cops who lied on their reports to cover up the excessive action, they went after the excessive action ignoring the lies on the reports.

Court cases are curious mixes of strategic and tactical thinking. The OJ defense had a great strategic plan, and exceptional tactical ability.
Anyone with eyes and common sense could see the Rodney King beating for what it was, black folks have seen plenty of Rodney Kings.

Anyone with eyes and common sense could see the Rodney King beating for what it was, black folks have seen plenty of Rodney Kings.

This is going to take a little time. I pray you will indulge me. Before I joined the Army I worked as a Rent a Cop. I signed up for and got the training for the Baton, in those days it was the side handle, before the collapsible ASP they all carry now. The old nightsticks. The course was taught by a Trainer from the LAPD. It was just one day, and eight hour course. We covered the laws that governed the use of the nightstick. We covered the precedents which determined the application of the law, and how to employ it. At the end of it, I got a card mailed to me to show I was licensed to carry a Side Handle Baton in the State of California.

One bit of that training stuck with me. The cop who was teaching it told us that the public would be very upset if we beat on someone with a stick. However, to turn the public to your side, just tell the witnesses the suspect was a Child Molester. Everyone hates them, and even if the guy is never charged with it, we’ll still be viewed as the good guy because of the visceral hatred for Child Molesters. It changes the witness testimony from they were beating him for no reason, to the guard was doing everything he could but the bad guy was just fighting too hard.

I never forgot that. The idea that the police would train a bunch of rent a cops to lie in an effort to manipulate the witnesses. A routine lie. In the many years since that time, I’ve never forgotten those routine lies.

I wrote all that so you could understand the place I am coming from. In the police reports the officers all wrote that they had utilized the Swarm Technique to subdue Rodney King after a brief use of force. Obviously, that wasn’t what they had actually done. However, the Prosecutor didn’t want to take on the routine lies. He didn’t want to expose those routine lies to the public eye. So he approached the case from the other direction. He came at it for the Jury, as a simple case of excessive force. Assault with a deadly weapon, which the Baton was considered to be under California Law.

The entire case fell apart during the cross examination of the Use of Force expert. The Defense got the Expert to agree that a kick or swing by the Suspect would be considered resisting. And they played the video and demanded that the Expert identify the point where Rodney stopped resisting, and where the force became excessive. The case was lost.

Instead, the Prosecutor should have started the other way. With the written reports. Get the training and use of force experts up there to show the videos of training. Where the officers actually swarm the suspect. Three or four jump on him and wrestle him into cuffs. It is what they do in Prisons when they have to drag a guy out of the cell. The team chants which body party they are supposed to focus on. Right arm, Right leg. Etc. Each one grabs one limb and they get the guy into the shackles.

The simple case of excessive force fell apart in that one day. After that, focusing on the lies was useless. It was too late. The cops used routine lies, and it was too late to explain to the jury about these routine lies, which the Prosecutor didn’t want to bring up anyway. Too many of his cases would now be suspect if he had.

The Defense used the predisposition of people to believe it is a problem elsewhere. We see it here all the time. If you live in a city, police corruption, widespread police corruption is a big problem in those podunk towns. The entire department is corrupt. And has been since the formation of the first cops in that town. If you live in those towns. There isn’t a corruption problem here. It’s a city problem. Those corrupt cops in New York, and Chicago, and all of that is just the cops trying to fight back against liberal hurdles.

It’s always someone else’s problem. It’s not our problem. We don’t do that here.

The reason is the ability to deceive ourselves. It’s hard to look at your friends and neighbors, sons and fathers, and know they are using those routine lies to excuse misbehavior. And that is just the first phase of misconduct. The use of the routine lies.

From there it goes downhill. I honestly wish the cops in real life were like the ones in the Rookie, and the other shows. Scrupulously following the laws and policies. With superiors demanding absolute adherence to the laws, and utmost honor. With bad cops being the focus of the fury and disgust of the rest of the department. In real life, the superiors know about the routine lies and allow cops to rewrite their reports to more closely resemble the events on the tape. They get a do-over on the sworn statement.

I could go on and on for hours. But I hope you understand my point now. The Prosecution thought they had a simple and easy case to win. Publicity aside. They never considered the damning question, unless they intended to throw the prosecution. A possibility I don’t rule out but it isn’t my first choice.

There were probably millions of events like the beating of Rodney in that decade. Only one got recorded, and it was part of the catalyst to get cops wearing the body cameras, and using dash cameras later. Now, the Routine lies have evolved, but they’re still in use.

Forum List

Back