2012 Defense Budget

lvcabbie

MSgt, US Army, Retired
May 14, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Here are some links about the planned 2012 Defense Budget as approved by the House Armed Services Committee:

An article about the proposed Defense Budget for 2012:
House Begins to Cut Defense Budget - Technorati Politics

Committe announcement of 2012 Defense Act:
http://armedservices.house.gov/inde...helmingly-approves-defense-authorization-bill

Here's the bill if you want to wade through it::
H.R. 1540 Bill Text and Report - NDAA - National Defense Authorization Act - Armed Services Republicans

And here;s where to keep an eye on the committee's activity:
Armed Services Republicans

I'd like to know how you cut the Defense budget while adding a war.

Seems counter intuitive [-1sp]
Every department of the federal government has some degree of waste, fraud and inefficiency and there's such a thing as reprioritizing within an existing budget in order to meet new goals. The Libyan conflict isn't exactly a major financial committment as military adventures go, either.

we collect a little more than 1 trillion a year in income tax revenue, and our total defense/homeland security is spending nearly $800 BILLION a year of it.....surely they can cut 200-300 billion a year out of that 800 billion, and bring it down to 500 billion A YEAR..... the 2000 spending on defense was around 290 billion a year....

If you're serious about reducing spending, the Defence budget is one logical target.

If you're serious about reducing spending, the Defence budget is one logical target.

Yes, but the way of doing it usefully is something that neither side will ever agree to. That way is very simple.... Bring the Troops home. Not just the ones in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya either. The ones in Germany, Korea, and every other place on the planet that we shouldn't be to begin with. Turn the US Military back into a Defensive and Counter-Attack Force primarily.

Sort of like your high school girlfriend's hand.... You know the one that would appear seemingly out of nowhere to smack you silly the moment you reached for her thigh or breasts, and then disappear just as quickly, leaving you Gobsmacked and humiliated as you inched your way back down the vinyl diner seat away from her.

The only people that really suffer when the defense budget is cut are the poor enlisted folks with a family and an E2 paycheck. And they enlisted to serve their country. They should be given a raise - not a cut.

The only people that really suffer when the defense budget is cut are the poor enlisted folks with a family and an E2 paycheck. And they enlisted to serve their country. They should be given a raise - not a cut.

I thought govt spending did not create jobs?

we collect a little more than 1 trillion a year in income tax revenue, and our total defense/homeland security is spending nearly $800 BILLION a year of it.....surely they can cut 200-300 billion a year out of that 800 billion, and bring it down to 500 billion A YEAR..... the 2000 spending on defense was around 290 billion a year....

Care, cutting 40% of anyone’s budget is, well a non starter.

The DOD has trimmed cut and taken close to 400 billion from the next 4 years. AND IF we bring home the afghan expedition we will realize more.

There is also the problem of replacing expensive but very very old aircraft whose upkeep is costly and whose edge is diminishing.

we got to that 290 B via the 'peace dividend', that won't happen again.

Not just the ones in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya either. The ones in Germany, Korea, and every other place on the planet that we shouldn't be to begin with. Turn the US Military back into a Defensive and Counter-Attack Force primarily.

as long as you realize that cuts very heavily into our ability to project globally.

Freedom isn't free.

Well, we certainty aren’t getting our money’s worth.[/QUOTE]

How so?

I don't think anyone is suggesting cutting the pay for soldiers. At least I know that I'm not. I'm talking about bringing them home from overseas and stationing them HERE, inside the UNITED STATES to provide border security and to maintain their preparation to completely and utterly destroy anyone or any nation who makes the mistake of sticking their nose into America's business.

I don't think anyone is suggesting cutting the pay for soldiers. At least I know that I'm not. I'm talking about bringing them home from overseas and stationing them HERE, inside the UNITED STATES to provide border security and to maintain their preparation to completely and utterly destroy anyone or any nation who makes the mistake of sticking their nose into America's business.

The government never cuts servicemember's pay, they just fail to give a meaninful payraise, if any at all. I haven't looked at a military paychart in many years - let me check it out and post here what their earnings are. It's public record. Back in a sec...

as long as you realize that cuts very heavily into our ability to project globally.

Yes and No. My initial preference for MOST international interventions is the Thermo-Nuclear Warhead, of which we have plenty. I'd simply re-activate NORAD as the immediate reaction force to most world-wide incidents. Any plan that requires boots on the ground SHOULD take some time to put into action, lest it gets done hastily and improperly.

The government never cuts servicemember's pay, they just fail to give a meaninful payraise, if any at all. I haven't looked at a military paychart in many years - let me check it out and post here what their earnings are. It's public record. Back in a sec...

Warrior, I'd love to pay every E1 $65K a year. I truly would. I think we both know that's neither reasonable nor realistic. It's definitely not the sort of paycheck one can raise a family on without additional income. I would like to think that most who enter the armed forces do it for reasons of service and duty rather than the idea that they're going to get rich, but they should be able to support themselves and their family.

New guy (E1) - 2 years or less - less than $1500/month. Look bottom left. Not a hell of a lot of money while getting shot at. 2011 Military Pay Scale Chart - for Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines

the pay stinks bigtime! but cutting our defense budget does not mean cutting pay....at least not in my book!

it means ''stuff'', wasted stuff, nonaccountable stuff....and the Pentagon and the newly created homeland security is part of that defense budget as well....

Forum List

Back