£1m artwork destroyed just as hammer comes down.

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Banksy auction prank leaves art world in shreds

Banksy has played what could be one of the most audacious pranks in art history, with one of his best-known works self-destructing after being sold at auction for just over £1m.

Girl With Balloon was the final item in an auction at Sotheby’s in London on Friday night and its sale price equalled the artist’s previous auction record of £1.04m.

However, shortly after the hammer came down on the item, the canvas suddenly passed through a shredder installed in the frame.

Banksy posted an image on Instagram of the shredded work dangling from the bottom of the frame with the title “Going, going, gone …”

Tidy. I love this sort of thing.

Banksy has played what could be one of the most audacious pranks in art history, with one of his best-known works self-destructing after being sold at auction for just over £1m.

Girl With Balloon was the final item in an auction at Sotheby’s in London on Friday night and its sale price equalled the artist’s previous auction record of £1.04m.

However, shortly after the hammer came down on the item, the canvas suddenly passed through a shredder installed in the frame.

Banksy posted an image on Instagram of the shredded work dangling from the bottom of the frame with the title “Going, going, gone …”

Nothing better than someone mocking the art world for being ridiculous.

Morning, Tommy

As mentioned in the article, the value of the piece has likely skyrocketed along with the prank's efficacy to stun the delicate palettes of them there enlightened few.

Morning, Tommy

As mentioned in the article, the value of the piece has likely skyrocketed along with the prank's efficacy to stun the delicate palettes of them there enlightened few.
I thought that might be the case. I suppose it is some sort of comment on misplaced values or something. Or maybe he just fancied havig a laugh.

Forum List

Back