12-Year-Old Boy - Tried as an Adult?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by ErikViking, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Does anoyone here have any input regarding this? It seems obvious that a 12 year old is not an adult, but what is the purpose of having a trial as if he were? Are there flaws in the juvenile court system that makes it incapable of handling such violent crimes? Or is it about something else?

CBS News

12-Year-Old Boy Jordan Brown Should Be Tried as an Adult for Murder, Doctor Argues

A boy who was 11-years-old when he allegedly murdered his father's pregnant fiancee with a shotgun has a "very limited" likelihood of being rehabilitated through the juvenile court system, a psychiatrist hired by state prosecutors said.
    A judge will now weigh that in deciding whether Jordan Brown, now 12, will be tried as an adult or have his case moved to juvenile court.

2. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    The answer is in your link:

The lil' fucker allegedy killed a nearly full-term pregnant woman and the fetus.

If he is tried as a child his punishment is limited to nine years of incarceration.

If he's convicted I hope they fry the son-of-a bitch.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,978
    The quoted part says it all. The Juvenile system is not set up to handle people like him. He knowingly and with aforethought set out to murder a woman. He should not be put in with children as he did not act as one.

4. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    So I was wrong then? This is more about finding a suitable punishment for the boy rather than incapabilities of the juvenile court system or rehabilitation of juveniles? EDIT: No, I misunderstood. I guess that was what the quoted part said. Sorry!

Pretty harsh. I would rather be killed myself than letting anyone kill my child. I somehow feel responsible of their actions.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    What about your child about to be born? Does that kid not count just because he hadn't yet been born?

Or the woman? Did she not count for anything just because she was older than the 12 year old?

Personally, if a kid of mine could do something so reprehensible, I would have no problem with him spending his miserable life in prison..... and I'd probably feel I should be there with him.

I think it's pretty harsh that you seem unable to care about the actual victims and focus more on the little bastard that (allegedly) committed the crime. Are you European?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Extreme circumstance. Children, IN GENERAL, should not be tried in the adult system, but there are a rare few who need to be kept out of the general public forever. This kid is one. They should send him to kiddie jail til he's 18 and then put him in adult prison. But he should never be set free.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    and you are suppose to be a "liberal" mod? but that is off topic...

is it the kid's fault that our so called "rehabillation" fails (as does my spelling) note the person didnt say the kid couldnt be saved...but said couldnt be saved in our system...

you cant fry 12 yr olds....*deep sighing* what does it say of a society that kills its own kids .....**

** dont even start on abortion...lets deal with living beings

8. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Ok, fine. Wait til he's 18 then do it ...

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    sometimes this place makes me look forward to the damned doggie enema

you must think of the mind of a 12 yr old..they are just beginning to develop abstract thought....(let me know if this gets over your head luv) they also ....in that way..think they are the first to "think" this way....and why did the kid kill the woman? things are never as clear cut as they seem .. esp when dealing with an underdeveloped brain ...(resisting nasty shot @ you)

10. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Sorry, just how a feel ...

I'm very hesitant to buy that killing a pregnant woman like that (or anyone for that matter) is something that can be rehabilitated.