12 Top Blunders of the Presidential Campaign

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
The Top 12 Blunders of the Presidential Campaign
By John Hawkins, Townhall
December 28, 2007

12) Mike Huckabee attacks Romney's religion: In an interview with the New York Times magazine, Mike Huckabee asked, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

Why Huckabee chose to give Romney's supporters a chance to bash him for being "anti-Mormon" just for asking the question is unknown, but the comment, which Huckabee later apologized for, helped enable his detractors to paint him as a man exploiting his faith to help win an election.

11) Mitt Romney "saw" his father march with Martin Luther King: This is a bit of a strange controversy because Romney's father certainly did participate in civil rights marches and there have also been people who have come forward and claimed to have seen George Romney march with Martin Luther King.

However, Romney certainly didn't see it, he certainly didn't march with MLK personally as he has previously claimed, and Mitt's response to this flap certainly makes visions of Bill Clinton's infamous response from his 1998 Grand Jury testimony dance through your head.

Here's Clinton: "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

Now, here's Mitt: "The reference of seeing my father lead in civil rights and seeing my father march with Martin Luther King is in the sense of this figurative awareness of and recognition of his leadership. I've tried to be as accurate as I can be. If you look at the literature or look at the dictionary, the term 'saw' includes being aware of -- in the sense I've described."

Oh yeah, he definitely has a little Clinton in him.

10) Obama's Flag Pin and National Anthem Flap: In his quest to win the Democratic primaries, Barack Obama tried to reach out to the patriotism-loathing netroots by making a big public show of not wearing a flag pin,

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says he doesn't wear an American flag lapel pin because it has become a substitute for "true patriotism" since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Obama then was photographed refusing to hold his hand over his heart during the national anthem.

His response to that, bizarrely, was that some people were falsely claiming he didn't hold his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance when really, it was the national anthem.

Of course, you still hold your hand over your heart during the national anthem, so the point was moot. Long story short, it looks like Obama's unpatriotic "true patriotism" didn't poll as well as he thought it would.

for full article:
http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/..._top_12_blunders_of_the_presidential_campaign

Forum List

Back