11-year-old girl 'forced to marry her rapist' from church in Florida

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Sherry Johnson says she was raped four times by age 10

Emily Shugermln, New York
A woman from Florida has claimed she was forced to marry her rapist at age 11.

Sherry Johnson says she was raped four times by members of her family’s church congregation as a child. As a result, she became pregnant at age 10.

When investigators began looking into her case, she claims her family tried to protect her rapist by forcing her to marry him.

“My mom asked me if I wanted to get married, and I said, ‘I don’t know, what is marriage, how do I act like a wife?’” Ms Johnson told The New York Times. “She said, ‘Well, I guess you’re just going to get married.’”

Florida is one of 27 US states that permits children of any age to be married with their parents’ permission.

more
11-year-old girl from Florida 'forced to marry her rapist'

The USA is not a first world country.

The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close-in-age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.

This happened many many years ago. Efforts are being made to change these archaic laws but with the immigration of muslims, that's not going to happen.

Sherry Johnson says she was raped four times by members of her family’s church congregation as a child. As a result, she became pregnant at age 10.

When investigators began looking into her case, she claims her family tried to protect her rapist by forcing her to marry him.

“My mom asked me if I wanted to get married, and I said, ‘I don’t know, what is marriage, how do I act like a wife?’” Ms Johnson told The New York Times. “She said, ‘Well, I guess you’re just going to get married.’”

Florida is one of 27 US states that permits children of any age to be married with their parents’ permission.

more

Can you EVER post anything that is not completely fucked up?

Code Section

Minimum Legal Age With Parental Consent

Male: 16; Female: 16

Florida Marriage Age Requirements Laws - FindLaw

You didn't think that some of us might have lived in Florida and know the laws? Both of my older children were married in Florida.

The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close-in-age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.
The article says 27 States allow it. Never knew that.

The article is a lie. Fake news.

more

When did this incident occur?

Several articles repeat the words but none show when the incident happened.

This happened many many years ago. Efforts are being made to change these archaic laws but with the immigration of muslims, that's not going to happen.

What does the immigration of Muslims have to do with laws preventing child marriages? Chris Christie just vetoed a law which would make under 18 marriages illegal, saying it violated many traditional religious beliefs. So much for laws not being based on religion.

Sounds like Standard Operating Procedure in the good ol' Middle East. The only difference is the girl's Father would have gotten 5 or 6 sheep for her to make the marriage official.

What does the immigration of Muslims have to do with laws preventing child marriages? Chris Christie just vetoed a law which would make under 18 marriages illegal, saying it violated many traditional religious beliefs. So much for laws not being based on religion.

That is right, NOT BASED on religion. Means that IF it is unconstitutional to keep gays from marrying because of religion, it is the same for children. SO welcome to the expanding of your ideas and getting what you liberals want.

The article is probably true. It's a review of a book written by a woman forced into marriage at 11. She eventually had 9 children and wrote a book about her experience. Matthew posted this like it just happened. We have no idea when it happened. I didn't see any dates.

The traditional religious beliefs are muslim beliefs. Although, I do know of a hispanic family in the central valley that sold a 14 year old girl for a case of beer. That wasn't religious. That was cultural.

We are moving toward the barbaric. Girl children married off when no one quite knows what to do with them. I was married at 15. Just to be someone else's headache.

The traditional religious beliefs are muslim beliefs. Although, I do know of a hispanic family in the central valley that sold a 14 year old girl for a case of beer. That wasn't religious. That was cultural.

We are moving toward the barbaric. Girl children married off when no one quite knows what to do with them. I was married at 15. Just to be someone else's headache.
Before universal suffrage in the USA, the average age of consent in the US was 10.

In Florida both parties must be at least 18; however, either party who is not yet 18 but at least 16 can get married with written permission from the parents or guardian (a party can get married at 16 without parental consent if both parents are deceased). At the discretion of the judge, a male and female can be married at any age if the female is pregnant and both parties stipulate under oath that the male is the father of the child. Here are the relevant Statutes:

The 2016 Florida Statutes
Title XLIII - Chapter 741

741.0405.  When marriage license may be issued to persons under 18 years.—

(1) If either of the parties shall be under the age of 18 years but at least 16 years of age, the county court judge or clerk of the circuit court shall issue a license for the marriage of such party only if there is first presented and filed with him or her the written consent of the parents or guardian of such minor to such marriage, acknowledged before some officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments and administer oaths. However, the license shall be issued without parental consent when both parents of such minor are deceased at the time of making application or when such minor has been married previously.
(2) The county court judge of any county in the state may, in the exercise of his or her discretion, issue a license to marry to any male or female under the age of 18 years, upon application of both parties sworn under oath that they are the parents of a child.
(3) When the fact of pregnancy is verified by the written statement of a licensed physician, the county court judge of any county in the state may, in his or her discretion, issue a license to marry:
(a) To any male or female under the age of 18 years upon application of both parties sworn under oath that they are the expectant parents of a child; or
(b) To any female under the age of 18 years and male over the age of 18 years upon the female’s application sworn under oath that she is an expectant parent.
(4) No license to marry shall be granted to any person under the age of 16 years, with or without the consent of the parents, except as provided in subsections (2) and (3).
History.—s. 2, ch. 78-266; s. 1058, ch. 97-102.

(Note: The first link below will take you directly to the Florida Statute. The second link will show the laws of all 50 states.)

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

State-by-State Marriage

But the beer was really really good.

The article is probably true. It's a review of a book written by a woman forced into marriage at 11. She eventually had 9 children and wrote a book about her experience. Matthew posted this like it just happened. We have no idea when it happened. I didn't see any dates.

If it happened in 1804 or something back then, how is it relevant to anything? The lack of details and context means a great deal.

This is SO typical of the OP's contributions!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back