100 Greatest Singers of All Time

I didn't see any of the old school. Sinatra, Bennett, Garland, Holiday, Fitzgerald and so on.

And of course, where was Linda Ronstadt. They had Karen Carpenter.

It's Rolling Stone. What do you expect?
Their "100 Best" is always a sham.

exactly....remember Jan "the asshole' Wenner is the big jerk behind the so called Rock N Roll Hall of Fame...look at their recent inductees and all those who should be in there who get ignored every year.....its all political and PC....

if we're talking hard rock, these two guys have to make the list

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU]Alice In Chains - Man In The Box - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mYZswIU5M]Spoonman-Soundgarden - YouTube[/ame]

oh yeah... that lame-ass piece of shit really floats my fuckin' boat...

eta: sorry... I've been drinkin' and I'm in a pissy mood... :)

Whoever put the list together musta been on the next barstool

FRANK SINATRA failed to make the list????

I know!!!

And.

If anybody has a more logical, true list, please aim me at it.

try this one from Digital Dream Door....this is voted by fans and the artist.....

100 Greatest Male Rock Vocalists

100 Greatest Female Vocalists of Rock 'n' Roll

100 Greatest Rock Vocal Performances

The guy from Rush sucks. Dylan, Cocker and Steve Tyler suck. Freddy Mercury definately sucks. That's probably what got him killed. Sly Stone? Did he even show up to sing? Lou Reed doesn't even sing, he talks. Bono, fuckin' give me a break.

If you want to talk about good singers, here's who I'd put before anyone on that list (except for maybe Aretha, or Otis, or Gregg)

Greg Lake

Greg Lake - Still You Turn Me On - YouTube

Ian Gillan

Deep Purple video Made in Japan 1972 Rare (part 3) Strange Kind Of Woman - YouTube

Ian Anderson

Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath - YouTube

ian gillan definitely one of the best. he was even great in Jesus Christ Superstar

I don't remember seeing this one on the list either.

Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie - Original (High Quality) - YouTube

mebbe it's 'cause, when all things are said and done, most everything Neil Diamond ever did blew chunks...

jes' sayin'... :)

really?..... yet he still sold over a hundred million of those chunks....only 25 artist have him beat......hey.....just sayin....

Yeah well Bruce Springstein sold records by the bucketful too so clearly that's no measure of talent.

Whoever put the list together musta been on the next barstool

FRANK SINATRA failed to make the list????

I know!!!

And.

try this one from Digital Dream Door....this is voted by fans and the artist.....

Thanks. Like these lists quite a bit more than the Rolling Stone list.

No Frank Sinatra.
No Diana Ross.
No Barbra Streisand.
No Nat "King" Cole.
No Judy Garland.

#45: Kurt "mumblemumbleRAAAAARRRRRmumble" Cobain.

Yeah, this list is :cuckoo:.

It's funny, how I thought Carly Simon was completely lame when I was young. Ray Charles as well. And then I reached a certain age, and I finally got it.

Especially this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7HgO9QhAc]Carly Simon - That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be - 1971 - YouTube[/ame]

mebbe it's 'cause, when all things are said and done, most everything Neil Diamond ever did blew chunks...

jes' sayin'... :)

really?..... yet he still sold over a hundred million of those chunks....only 25 artist have him beat......hey.....just sayin....

Yeah well Bruce Springstein sold records by the bucketful too so clearly that's no measure of talent.

hey as long as someone out there is buying your shit.....and you reach a hundred million in sales....you are going to be considered successful....and you are going to be called ..."great"....what ya going to do?.....fucking Madonna has sold 300 million records....do you consider her a great rock n roller?.....

Last edited:
It's funny, how I thought Carly Simon was completely lame when I was young. Ray Charles as well. And then I reached a certain age, and I finally got it.

On a similar note, I didn't really like Gladys Knight and the Pips' "Midnight Train to Georgia" when I was young. Then, one day about 15 years ago, I listened to it again and was completely blown away. :eek:

hey as long as someone out there is buying your shit.....and you reach a hundred million in sales....you are going to be considered successful....and you are going to be called ..."great"....what ya going to do?.....fucking Madonna has sold 300 million records....do you consider her a great rock n roller?.....

Good point. She is not a great singer, never was. But she knew how to reinvent herself, and she put on a great show.

On a similar note, I didn't really like Gladys Knight and the Pips' "Midnight Train to Georgia" when I was young. Then, one day about 15 years ago, I listened to it again and was completely blown away. :eek:

I KNOW!! It's the strangest feeling. But it rocks. I probably heard this song a hundred times when I was a kid, and then I heard it a couple of decades later and couldn't stop crying, lol!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNlz5P2pbk8]Ray Charles - You don't know me (original) - YouTube[/ame]

I know!!!

And.

Thanks. Like these lists quite a bit more than the Rolling Stone list.

some of these havent been updated to now.....but when i was in their forums some of the maintainers of the lists said they update them only if there are a lot of names being added or voted on.....otherwise some have not moved for a few years.....but they claim a few hundred thousand votes for all the lists....

Leonard Cohen, his voice; whatever. But man. He makes me FEEL.

Johnny Cash, too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go]Johnny Cash Hurt - YouTube[/ame]

The guy from Rush sucks. Dylan, Cocker and Steve Tyler suck. Freddy Mercury definately sucks. That's probably what got him killed. Sly Stone? Did he even show up to sing? Lou Reed doesn't even sing, he talks. Bono, fuckin' give me a break.

If you want to talk about good singers, here's who I'd put before anyone on that list (except for maybe Aretha, or Otis, or Gregg)

saw Freddy 3 times in the 70's live....the guy was a pretty dam good singer.....

Forum List

Back