What is worse the inflation we have now or the inflation of 1978-1979?

Parker99

May 7, 2017

I would like to know how bad this inflation is compared to the 70s? I also read there was inflation in the 80s but not as bad as the 70s.

There also does not seem to be truth inflation data above 5% or above 10%

I would like to know how bad this inflation is compared to the 70s? I also read there was inflation in the 80s but not as bad as the 70s.

Between 1978 and 1981, the inflation rates were roughly between 8% - 14%, and facing a period of stagflation.

It was crazy high. My first home loan was 13 1/2 interest and my first car loan was 18 percent. But I was also investing in CDs getting 17 percent interest. Now fixed rate CDs are around 4 percent, and home loans are over 7 percent.

It was rough but then again, even with inflation, the dollar was much stronger than today.

When you earned $100.00 back then you had something and it went a lot farther. I was still able to save money for a home down payment too.

$100 in 1976 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $551.05
today.....That's how far we have fallen due to .gov spending and terrible monetary policy over the past 48 years.

I guess that's why leftists hate old people....Too much Pepperidge Farms remembering going on. ;)

The inflation from 1978 through 1990 was far worse, and a worse employment market, to boot.
1716090278306.png

1716090326826.png

1716090368362.png

1716090433529.png

I would say now. Back then it was mainly mortgages.

These days it's everything taking a bigger bite out of everyone's pockets.

I would say now. Back then it was mainly mortgages.

These days it's everything taking a bigger bite out of everyone's pockets.
My first mortgage was 10.5% on a fixed 30 year, and I was lucky to get it.

Well since I wasn't paying for anything in 1978-1979, i am going with now being worse.

The 1972-2000 was far worse, as pointed out already it was a much stronger dollar then, and of course it compounds same as compound interest works. Real inflation is about double what the govt. claims.

It's worth noting that net assets among individuals gained around 15% under Trump adjusted for real inflation while it is averaging zero after 3 years of Biden and will go negative by the end of June.

The inflation from 1978 through 1990 was far worse, and a worse employment market, to boot.
View attachment 948785

View attachment 948786

View attachment 948787

View attachment 948788
That's not what I remember. Everyone I knew had jobs and I rarely saw a homeless person. Carter was a disaster and it took Reagan a couple years to turn it around.

That's not what I remember. Everyone I knew had jobs and I rarely saw a homeless person. Carter was a disaster and it took Reagan a couple years to turn it around.

Reagan just continued Carter's policies. It was Voelcker who turned it around. a Carter appointee. Union busting, cuts in capital gains, easy money from the Fed, rebuilding the Navy, all started by Carter; Reagan merely took credit for it all while doing nothing much but encouraging corruption, swindling, illegal immigration, etc.

Except for AT&T he continue the policy of allowing monopolists and big banks to plunder the economy, allow Japs to dump goods at below costs, etc. He also cut deals with terrorists and ran drugs and sold guns to terrorists.

Reagan just continued Carter's policies. It was Voelcker who turned it around. a Carter appointee. Union busting, cuts in capital gains, easy money from the Fed, rebuilding the Navy, all started by Carter; Reagan merely took credit for it all while doing nothing much but encouraging corruption, swindling, illegal immigration, etc.

Except for AT&T he continue the policy of allowing monopolists and big banks to plunder the economy, allow Japs to dump goods at below costs, etc. He also cut deals with terrorists and ran drugs and sold guns to terrorists.
Sounds like a Reagan hater making up a bunch of stuff to smear his great Presidency.

My first mortgage was 10.5% on a fixed 30 year, and I was lucky to get it.
Sounds like a Carter era mortgage, and the best possible scenario for that.

What are your taxes/electric/food/fuel bill now?

I can understand how memory fails at your age. That is why history charts, graphs, etc, like you used in college are still used by people that actually want to know, now.

Sounds like a Carter era mortgage, and the best possible scenario for that.

What are your taxes/electric/food/fuel bill now?
Nowhere near the old monthly mortgage note.

That must have been in the mid or late 80s. I bought my first home in '82 and 13.5 percent was a builder buy down rate. The average was over 15.
It did suck. Young people have no clue, these days. This is the new good old days, they just haven't been around long enough or studied, to know it.

Forum List

Back