Zone1 Paul told all women to shut up. Paul was not a nice person.

Who was the one who said Jews are the hypocrites, praying in the synagogue?

Who was the one who said Jews are the hypocrites, praying in the synagogue?
Jesus noted the hypocrisy taking place in his time. He spoke of people who went to the front, thanking God for not making them a tax collector, or needy, or like anyone else who resided in the dregs of society. He compared this to the person at the back quietly asking, "Please God, be merciful to me, a sinner."

Jesus also noted another practice in his own day where some people wanted trumpets blown in the streets as they gave a generous donation. They sought public recognition for this donation.

This is not a matter of targeting an entire congregation or nationality, but a teaching moment

That I believe at once.

He was not married.
And he says: "Women should shut up!"

This Paul was not a nice person.
Hard headed women and soft hearted men have been the cause of trouble ever since the world began.

Jesus noted the hypocrisy taking place in his time. He spoke of people who went to the front, thanking God for not making them a tax collector, or needy, or like anyone else who resided in the dregs of society. He compared this to the person at the back quietly asking, "Please God, be merciful to me, a sinner."

Jesus also noted another practice in his own day where some people wanted trumpets blown in the streets as they gave a generous donation. They sought public recognition for this donation.

This is not a matter of targeting an entire congregation or nationality, but a teaching moment
OK….appreciate this.,,.but still, the writer of that particular gospel did seem to target Jews, noting the word synagogue. I don’t remember which gospel it was, though.

OK….appreciate this.,,.but still, the writer of that particular gospel did seem to target Jews, noting the word synagogue. I don’t remember which gospel it was, though.
None of the Gospel writers targeted Jews as a whole, only some behaviors who I suspect even Jews of today would be nodding along in agreement that the behavior fell below Jewish standards of expected behavior. I can't find any Gospel account that seems to find problems with anyone praying in a synagogue--only the Temple.

I am wondering if it was something Paul ran into and wrote about in one of his letters. While he seemed popular among Gentiles who followed the Hebrew faith (I believe they were called God fearers by Jews?) Paul had several run-ins with Jews in their places of meeting/synagogues. Do you remember any other details?

One memorable lesson in Catholic school religion class was Sister pointing out that Jesus followed the Jewish faith, but did not seem bashful about pointing out hypocrisy. We were asked to name hypocrisies Jesus would find in Christianity today, and how he might address them.

None of the Gospel writers targeted Jews as a whole, only some behaviors who I suspect even Jews of today would be nodding along in agreement that the behavior fell below Jewish standards of expected behavior. I can't find any Gospel account that seems to find problems with anyone praying in a synagogue--only the Temple.

I am wondering if it was something Paul ran into and wrote about in one of his letters. While he seemed popular among Gentiles who followed the Hebrew faith (I believe they were called God fearers by Jews?) Paul had several run-ins with Jews in their places of meeting/synagogues. Do you remember any other details?

One memorable lesson in Catholic school religion class was Sister pointing out that Jesus followed the Jewish faith, but did not seem bashful about pointing out hypocrisy. We were asked to name hypocrisies Jesus would find in Christianity today, and how he might address them.
Thanks. I’m going to look for that verse about the synagogue, and I look forward to discussing it with you further. You’ve always been a respectful person of the Jewish religion, and I continue to appreciate it.

Thanks. I’m going to look for that verse about the synagogue, and I look forward to discussing it with you further. You’ve always been a respectful person of the Jewish religion, and I continue to appreciate it.
No problem as you are a delightful person with whom to enter into any religious discussions.

Because the behavior of a view Catholic priests have some people broad-brushing all Catholics in a negative way, I very much understand your own concern that too many are using New Testament scripture to negatively broad-brush all Jews. There were times in Saint Paul's life that he was no saint, but we can at least figure out what the issue(s) may have been.

No problem as you are a delightful person with whom to enter into any religious discussions.

Because the behavior of a view Catholic priests have some people broad-brushing all Catholics in a negative way, I very much understand your own concern that too many are using New Testament scripture to negatively broad-brush all Jews. There were times in Saint Paul's life that he was no saint, but we can at least figure out what the issue(s) may have been.
Thank you, my dear.

I‘ll be back when I can find that verse.

OK, it’s Matthew 6:5. Two points of discussion:

1) Why did Jesus say not be hypocrites, praying in the synagogue? This runs opposite Jewish teachings. It is not only good, but REQUIRED, to gather with the community and pray together. (That’s the purpose of requiring a 10-person minyan.) Why would Jesus want Jews to be isolated? (I have thoughts here, but I’ll wait for your input.)

2) What does it mean that Jews “already have their reward,” also translated as ”Jews will get no more reward”? Antisemites have used the latter to tell Jews they are going to hell.

Thanks….look forward to your thoughts.

Paul told all women to shut up. Paul was not a nice person.​

Until he'd had a few sips from his flask…. Then how he'd be lovey-dovey!
Even to Yoko Ono... Who also lives on, btw.. 90 years old.. Still annoying New Yorkers as we speak..

1) Why did Jesus say not be hypocrites, praying in the synagogue? This runs opposite Jewish teachings. It is not only good, but REQUIRED, to gather with the community and pray together. (That’s the purpose of requiring a 10-person minyan.) Why would Jesus want Jews to be isolated? (I have thoughts here, but I’ll wait for your input.)
In Jesus' day, there were set times for daily prayer. To pray, one stood with his arms outstretched, palms up, head bowed. Jesus was criticizing those who just happened to be out in public at a busy intersection or public square. There were also those who who timed their entrance to prayer time at the Temple so that they just happened to be on the top step just outside the Temple when they had to stop where they were, in plain sight, and begin praying.

I don't know when this was said, but isn't it said that one who prays within his house surrounds his home with iron? Also that if someone views prayer as just a task to perform, that is no prayer.

Jesus had no criticism about that people gathering to pray together. His specific words were directed at those who purpose for joining in prayer was "to be seen by others." Obviously those who gather in a synagogue or church for prayer are going to be seen by others. One's own heart knows whether one is there to pray or there to be seen.

2) What does it mean that Jews “already have their reward,” also translated as ”Jews will get no more reward”? Antisemites have used the latter to tell Jews they are going to hell.
Jews in Jesus day did not have the present-day view of hell. The word that is translated into English as "Reward" and then further used to mean "Heaven" misses the point Jesus was making.

Where is one's heart? It the purpose of the heart to gain worldly recognition and acclaim--is that the form of payment chosen? If so, that person will receive that form of payment/reward in full.

However, if the heart wants to please God alone, one leaves the world to grow more closely towards God. And, one's spirit receives joy and contentment as it grows ever closer to God. That is the payment/reward of choice that one receives in full.

I am not sure what translation you use, but none of the translations I have at hand specify "Jews" as the ones getting no more reward--but says this is true of everyone.

I think it is a Hebrew saying that notes someone who gives in secret is greater than Moses. Perhaps one who gives openly for recognition might be considered as great as Moses...but the one who gives secretly is considered greater than Moses (and closer to God)?

The Scripture Of The Manuscripts NEVER say - " Woman is not permitted to teach " - nor that Woman is to be Silent

never say - that Woman is to not allowed to trim or cut her hair - neither demanding that Woman cover her head

this very idea of keeping woman in SILENCE - keeping women bound in silenced and beneath the male authority of established GOVERNMENT Trinitarian doctrines demanded that the Trinitarian Faith System be promoted AND THAT ALL QUESTIONS BE -
silenced -

OBVIOUSLY, WOMEN HAD QUESTONS - THEREFORE THE TRINITARIANS RESOLVED THESE QUESTIONS BY SILENCING THE

WOMEN.

1Ti 2:12

the original manuscripts do not command a woman to not speak and preach in the Church.....

Γυναικι a woman - δε also - διδασκειν teaching - ουκ not - επιτρεπω I allow - ουδε neither

-
αυθεντειν authorized - ανδρος man / male - αλλ but / unless - ειναι who are - εν in - ησυχια quietness

ησυχια quietness / peacefulness

meaning - 1Ti 2:12

A WOMAN ALSO TEACHING NOT I ALLOW NEITHER AN AUTHORIZED MAN BUT WHO ARE IN QUIETNESS - / PEACEFULNESS / PEACEFULLY

this is exactly - WORD FOR WORD _ exactly what the original manuscripts say.

In - 1Co 14:28 - it says, concerning speaking in tongues in the church - If there be no interpreter, - “ keep silencein the church; and speak to themselves and to God.

THE TRINITARIAN TRANSLATIONS SAYS
:29
Let the prophets speak two or three and let the other judge. - :30 If anything is revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first - - “ hold their peace. “

LOOK IT UP IN THE MANUSCRIPTS

the original
does not say “ let the first - - - hold his peace -

-
verse :30 literally says - let the first - “ BE SILENT. “ / No Talking. -

This Greek word is “ SILENCE “ ... And verse
:35 is totally mistranslated - it says - And if ( the women who are directly involved ) “ “ WILL OR WOULD ask “ “ A CERTAIN THING.. about what happened - let them ask their husbands IN the home - for it is a shame for women to say in the church. But this is only speaking of the situation directly involving church order, that ALSO involves also the MALES who are also commanded to be - - - - “ SILENT “__ sigaō

the trinitarians lied.

The Greek manuscripts say that the Males also - the entire church is to be " SLIENT ..........

" -
........ The Trinitarian Translators changed the word - " sigaō / silent " - into saying

hold their peace - " hēsuchios - "
'

but the Greek word is " Σιγάω -
sigaō - silence " MEANS SILENCE

but the Greek word - " ἡσύχιος hēsuchios - " MEANS QUIETNESS - / PEACEFULNESS / PEACEFULLY

notice - ONLY when the Greek word is orbiting around - women - do they change the exact same word into " SLIENCE " -
only when addressing the WOMAN

A WOMAN ALSO TEACHING NOT I ALLOW NEITHER AN AUTHORIZED MAN BUT WHO ARE IN QUIETNESS ἡσύχιος hēsuchios - "

QUIETNESS - / PEACEFULNESS / PEACEFULLY

What does the bible really say about covering the head - we can look beyond the Trinitarian Translations that pervert the word of God and see

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT COVERING THE HEAD

The Trinitarians also INSERTED or ADDED the words " having his head covered, " in verse :14

verse :14 says nothing about a man head being covered - the word covered does not exist in the Greek manuscripts - Trinitarians inserted this word into their translation.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

This is a LIE

Please remember that, the authors of the New Testament were men who traveled around to many different cities and territories.
they would write letters and epistles to write entire books in series with many letters.
The authors would write about things that the Holy Spirit had shown to them and also they would answer questions and resolve problems of faith that they received from individuals and churches who would ask the Apostles and Disciples.

1Co 11:13 SAYS TO - Judge in yourselves: is it proper that a woman pray unto God uncovered
and Vs.
:16 But if anyone seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
The main Point that the author was making is that there are certain realities and standards in different parts of the world and among different people and some believe that it is best for a man to have short hair and for the woman to have the longer hair - SOME believe that the woman's head must be covered and some believe that the mans head must not be covered.
IF YOU STUDY - the original Greek manuscripts you will see that the author here is not commanding or suggesting that any of these ideas are good or bad - but that they are all realities that exist in peoples minds and that the conclusion for the Church Of God - is that for all of these customs and standards
we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
disagreement or argument or disputes about cutting hair and headwear and coverings are not something that the author has established a custom about, neither have the churches of God.
we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

I have written out here, an exact word for word translation of the opening lines concerning this topic

please notice that the author is saying in the ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS that a person is SHAMED by their own SHAME - in other words the shame they bring upon themselves is not because of the manner in which they cover their head or wear their hair

here is the opening lines from the original manuscripts.

1Co 11:4

πας ALL - ανηρ MEN - προσευχομενος PRAYING - η OR - προφητευων PROPHECYING - κατα AS - κεφαλης THE HEAD - εχων HAVING - καταισχυνει SHAME - την THAT κεφαλην HEAD - αυτου IS

verse :5

πασα ALL - δε ALSO - γυνη WIFE - προσευχομενη PRAYING - η OR προφητευουσα PROPHECYING - ακατακαλυπτω UNCOVERING - τη OF - κεφαλη THE HEAD - καταισχυνει SHAMES - την THIS - κεφαλην HEAD - εαυτης HERSELF -
εν
IN - γαρ FOR - εστιν BEING - και ALSO - το THIS - αυτο HERSELF - τη THE - εξυρημενη UNSHAVEN

SO the author is saying that people shame their head themselves not the way they dress their head
AS THE MANS HEAD HAVING SHAME, SO THAT HEAD IS
ALSO THE WIFE SHAMES, THIS HEAD
HERSELF

this is the message of the original manuscript - not what you see in the Trinitarian Translations - that have added words and altered the meaning and intent - this is why this passage is a total contradiction in the Trinitarian Translation.
The original manuscripts are very, very basic and simple to read and understand
- the Trinitarians have come along and invented extra ideas and
intentionally inserted contradictions to mold and form to their own Catholic / Protestant Government ideologies.
And the conclusion matches perfectly with the opening line if you take it for what it says in the ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS
Everyone has a style of writing and the style of writing is very important - Trinitarians eliminated and destroyed the creative style of the authors and inserted their own style to conform to their imaginations

REMEMBER AS I HAVE POSTED ABOVE

in 1Co 11:5 the author is saying that people shame their own head themselves not in the way they dress their head

Verse 5 AS THE MANS HEAD HAVING SHAME, SO THAT HEAD IS ALSO - THE WIFE SHAMES, THIS HEAD HERSELF

And here is the next verse - 6

1Co 11:6
ει IF - γαρ FOR - ου NOT - κατακαλυπτεται WHEN COVERED - γυνη WOMEN - και ALSO - κειρασθω HAVING SHORN - ει THIS - δε ALSO - αισχρον SHAMES - γυναικι A WOMAN - το THAT - κειρασθαι IS SHORN - η OR - ξυρασθαι SHAVED - κατακαλυπτεσθω WHEN COMPLETELY COVERED.

manuscripts meaning

- :6
IF FOR NOT WHEN COVERED WOMEN ALSO HAVING SHORN , THIS ALSO SHAMES A WOMAN THAT IS SHORN OR SHAVED WHEN COMPLETELY COVERED.

Paul is saying that it is not changing anything by covering your head - if a woman's head is shamed by cutting the hair - what does it matter concerning wither or not she covers her head or not.

AS THE MANS HEAD HAVING SHAME, SO THAT HEAD IS

ALSO - THE WIFE SHAMES, THIS HEAD HERSELF

Trinitarians completely pervert and mistranslate these passages - just compare the original manuscript message to what Trinitarians have in verse
6 :

Manuscript - :6 IF FOR NOT WHEN COVERED, WOMEN ALSO HAVING SHORN , THIS ALSO SHAMES A WOMAN THAT IS SHORN OR SHAVED WHEN COMPLETELY COVERED.

Trinitarian
perversion - 1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

:4 - ALL MEN PRAYING OR PROPHECYING AS THE HEAD HAVING SHAME - THAT HEAD IS

:5 - ALL ALSO WIFE PRAYING OR PROPHECYING UNCOVERING OF THE HEAD SHAMES THIS HEAD HERSELF - IN FOR BEING ALSO THIS HERSELF THE UNSHAVEN

:6 IF FOR NOT WHEN COVERED, WOMEN ALSO HAVING SHORN , THIS ALSO SHAMES A WOMAN THAT IS SHORN OR SHAVED WHEN COMPLETELY COVERED.

Judge in yourselves: is it proper that a woman pray unto God uncovered ?

But if anyone seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

you will find that Trinitarians go trough the entire Bible making changes and they completely pervert the w\entire Bible.

these passages are such a disgrace and perversion in the Trinitarian Translation.

and finally 1Co 11:7 ανηρ MEN - μεν TRULY - γαρ FOR - ουκ NOT - οφειλει SHOULD - κατακαλυπτεσθαι WHEN COVERING - την THE - κεφαλην HEAD - εικων IMAGE - και AND - δοξα GLORY - θεου GOD - υπαρχων BEING - γυνη WOMEN - δε ALSO - δοξα GLORY - ανδρος THE MEN - εστιν WHO ARE.

MEN TRULY FOR NOT SHOULD WHEN COVERING THE HEAD IMAGE AND GLORY GOD

BEING WOMEN ALSO GLORY THE MEN WHO ARE.

Paul is saying that men and women are not imaging and glorifying God by covering their head.

The Trinitarian Translations will tell you that it is a shame for a woman to pray with her uncovered head

Yet the Translation contradicts itself - Judge in yourselves: is it proper that a woman pray unto God uncovered ?

But if anyone seem to be contentious, we have no such custom
, neither the churches of God.

it is a shame ?

or judge for yourself -
we have no custom in the church of God.

This is why Trinitarians can flood the idea with their own personal OPINIONS

but their Translation is a complete contradiction - there is nothing scripturally that a Trinitarian can provide concerning the topic - Trinitarians have no manuscripts for their entire faith system.

in fact they have nothing but dislike for anything regarding the manuscripts. Father King James Of England and the Pope of Rome has already decided.

this is one of the many, many reasons why Trinitatarians waited nearly 2000 years to translate the Bible into a modern language

Last edited:
their translations are such ignorance to the basic concept of reality and basic simple truth.

I HAVE BEEN GIVEN ETENAL SALVATION BY THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WHO SPOKE THROUGH A WOMAN - PREACHING - TEACHING
AND LEADING ME TO GOD.

never, ever trust a trinitarian to teach you about the original message of the Greek and Hebrew manuscripts inspired

by the Spirit Of The Holy.

Thank you. That’s a nice interpretation, and one I am glad you explained - and of course believe.

The problem comes in when the word “synagogue” is used as an example of where one finds hypocrites, as antisemites have grasped onto that to confirm their hostile attitudes toward Jews.

I have another interpretation, which you may or may not like - but since we are talking respectfully, I hope it’s OK: I think Jesus‘ words were twisted by the Gospel writer, and that it was done so to DISCOURAGE Jews going to pray, together as a community as Gd wants, so as to weaken the resolve of Jews who did not want to convert to the new Christian religion. One gets strength and support in numbers.

One can see this in cults, such as the Moonies when I was in college (yes….I’m ooooold). They always went after the loners, ones without the support of their family. (That’s also why they targeted colleges in the first place - lots of insecure freshmen.)

This is not to say that Christianity is a cult, but it does explain why new Christians would want to discourage the strength that Jews get by praying together with other Jews, and that is done in a synagogue.

Last edited:
Jews in Jesus day did not have the present-day view of hell. The word that is translated into English as "Reward" and then further used to mean "Heaven" misses the point Jesus was making.

Where is one's heart? It the purpose of the heart to gain worldly recognition and acclaim--is that the form of payment chosen? If so, that person will receive that form of payment/reward in full.

However, if the heart wants to please God alone, one leaves the world to grow more closely towards God. And, one's spirit receives joy and contentment as it grows ever closer to God. That is the payment/reward of choice that one receives in full.

I am not sure what translation you use, but none of the translations I have at hand specify "Jews" as the ones getting no more reward--but says this is true of everyone.

I think it is a Hebrew saying that notes someone who gives in secret is greater than Moses. Perhaps one who gives openly for recognition might be considered as great as Moses...but the one who gives secretly is considered greater than Moses (and closer to God)?
There may not have been a concept of hell in Jesus’ day, as there isn’t really one in modern-day Judaism: the focus, to the extent it exists at all, is on The World to Come (or, loosely, Heaven).

That said, it is reported that Jesus said that only those who believe in him get to The Father. (Most Jews today, including me, would say he never said such a thing, since it is antithetical to Jewish belief.)

Now….on to the idea of “reward.” I’m still not sure what is meant by that, but, as you say, it well could mean reward by Gd for one’s good deeds and mitzvot during his or her lifetime - if one does them with the right spirit. That goes along with the idea, as Jesus is saying, that one gets no reward if the giving is for one‘s own recognition.

That matches with traditional Judaism - in that the highest form of charity is when the donor remains anonymous. On a personal note, I remember when our shul was trying to raise a lot of money for a building repair, and how my dad, of blessed memory, contacted the rabbi and said he would donate the full amount needed. The rabbi of course was delighted and said he would announce from the bimah my father’s (.and mother’s) generous gift, and my dad insisted no: he wanted it to be anonymous.

Rest in peace, Dad.

I have another interpretation, which you may or may not like - but since we are talking respectfully, I hope it’s OK: I think Jesus‘ words were twisted by the Gospel writer, and that it was done so to DISCOURAGE Jews going to pray, together as a community as Gd wants, so as to weaken the resolve of Jews who did not want to convert to the new Christian religion. One gets strength and support in numbers.

One can see this in cults, such as the Moonies when I was in college (yes….I’m ooooold). They always went after the loners, ones without the support of their family. (That’s also why they targeted colleges in the first place - lots of insecure freshmen.)

This is not to say that Christianity is a cult, but it does explain why new Christians would want to discourage the strength that Jews get by praying together with other Jews, and that is done in a synagogue.
I don't mind talking interpretations all day. :)

Jesus spoke a lot about not doing something for public recognition, insisting the left hand should not know what the right hand is doing. Matthew's Gospel does state "Pray in synagogue to be recognized."

Now Matthew's Gospel was most likely written in Antioch in the 80s. The community--at first--was made up of Jews who were Christian--and in those days, it truly did mean both practices. But here is where the interpretation you present does make sense. Matthew's community of Christians who were Jews, over time became a community of Gentile Christians. I haven't found any historical information beyond this, but this alone speaks of a division that formed in Matthew's church. Did Jews quietly withdraw as Gentiles came in? Perhaps because keeping Jewish traditions meant so much to them. I

n very early Christianity, Christian Jews attended synagogue as faithfully as they did Christian meetings.

The saying of, "The more things change, the more they remain the same" comes to mind. Today we hear an excuse from people who do not attend church as saying, "I am more spiritual than religious." So...did Christian Gentiles say of Christian Jews who attended synagogue, "They are just doing that to be seen", essentially dismissing a huge part of who the early Christian Jews were. The other thing that "changes yet remains the same" is find something Jesus said, and then announce what he "really" meant.

That said, it is reported that Jesus said that only those who believe in him get to The Father. (Most Jews today, including me, would say he never said such a thing, since it is antithetical to Jewish belief.)
When we let go of the idea Jesus was speaking of Dante's Inferno and when we remember Annas and Caiphas were the Temple authorities in Jesus day. What Jesus said makes sense. Remember, Jesus was teaching the Kingdom of God/Heaven was within everyone's reach in his/her own life in their present day.

Annas and Caiphas were pushing the idea of Temple sacrifices and Temple taxes as the way to God and the forgiveness of sins. Jesus was adamant (and I believe this is also found in early Hebrew scriptures) to turn away from sin, that God desires mercy over sacrifice in the forgiveness of sins. He also taught one should discern the will of God--and follow it. I believe this is also an old Hebrew tradition?

If this is correct, then what we often see in Jesus a man of Hebrew traditions combating the Temple authorities idea in his own time that Temple sacrifice and taxes were the way to God Annas and Caiphas cared more about power and lining their own pockets with money given by those much poorer than they.

Jesus was adamant the way into God's Kingdom in the here and now was not through Temple sacrifice and Temple taxes but by his way, which seems is based on an older Hebrew tradition? Jesus way was sins are forgiven when one turns away from them. Jesus' way was one sees God and enters the kingdom of God in the present is by discerning the will of God and following it.

I suspect it was hundreds of years later when the idea of a hell began to permeate Christianity that people decided that unless a person believes in Christ they go to hell and will never see God. When we remain in Jesus' own time and culture, an entirely different picture emerges. What say you?

That matches with traditional Judaism - in that the highest form of charity is when the donor remains anonymous. On a personal note, I remember when our shul was trying to raise a lot of money for a building repair, and how my dad, of blessed memory, contacted the rabbi and said he would donate the full amount needed. The rabbi of course was delighted and said he would announce from the bimah my father’s (.and mother’s) generous gift, and my dad insisted no: he wanted it to be anonymous.

Rest in peace, Dad.
That is not only a beautiful story but a fine story of what Judaism is, teaches, and practices.

Forum List

Back