Out-of-Touch Fuddyduddy Thread

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I was a Yoot, weddings were held between two people who were currently living with their respective parents, and just starting out on their adult lives. The wedding would be costly, but not so costly that the parents of the bride (who were obliged to pay the bulk of it) would have to go into debt. It would be held at a convenient venue, close to the vast majority of people who would be attending.

The Bride and Groom were typically penniless. Maybe the Groom owned a car, that's it.

Friends of the Bride (often the bridesmaids) would hold a "wedding shower" for the Bride, which was an informal party at which small gifts were given...the sort of things that someone starting a new household would need, like towels, flatware, sheets and pillowcases, even cleaning supplies. Nothing big. It was unthinkable that the Bride's mother would hold the wedding shower; it was supposed to be a spontaneous event held by close friends, with little fanfare.

I will shortly be attending a wedding shower (men and women invited), held at a country club by the parents of the Bride. The Bride and Groom are both college grads in their 30's and well-established in their careers; neither has any college loans to pay off. They have been living together for a couple years, including overseas vacations, and a nice suburban, highly mortgaged home. The Bachelor and Bachelorette parties will be held in Cancun.

They live a thousand miles from either family and have chosen to get married THERE, because it's more convenient for THEM. Everyone else will have to fly to the wedding location, rent cars and hotel rooms, and of course give substantial cash gifts.

Neither Bride nor Groom has been inside a church (other than funerals and friends' weddings) for years, but of course their wedding will be held in an opulent church, in front of a prominent minister.

This is bullshit. If ever there were an instance where a couple should just run down to the County Courthouse, get married, and send out announcements of what they have done, this is it. But we live in the age of Entitlement. Who could deny the darlings their day in the limelight?

Will you be getting dressed up?

value_main__41541-1.jpg

Interesting question. I'm attending ANOTHER wedding this summer where the invitation stipulates "Beach Formal" as the mens' attire. What the ever-loving fuck is that? [It will be at least a thousand miles from the nearest beach]

When I was a Yoot, weddings were held between two people who were currently living with their respective parents, and just starting out on their adult lives. The wedding would be costly, but not so costly that the parents of the bride (who were obliged to pay the bulk of it) would have to go into debt. It would be held at a convenient venue, close to the vast majority of people who would be attending.

The Bride and Groom were typically penniless. Maybe the Groom owned a car, that's it.

Friends of the Bride (often the bridesmaids) would hold a "wedding shower" for the Bride, which was an informal party at which small gifts were given...the sort of things that someone starting a new household would need, like towels, flatware, sheets and pillowcases, even cleaning supplies. Nothing big. It was unthinkable that the Bride's mother would hold the wedding shower; it was supposed to be a spontaneous event held by close friends, with little fanfare.

I will shortly be attending a wedding shower (men and women invited), held at a country club by the parents of the Bride. The Bride and Groom are both college grads in their 30's and well-established in their careers; neither has any college loans to pay off. They have been living together for a couple years, including overseas vacations, and a nice suburban, highly mortgaged home. The Bachelor and Bachelorette parties will be held in Cancun.

They live a thousand miles from either family and have chosen to get married THERE, because it's more convenient for THEM. Everyone else will have to fly to the wedding location, rent cars and hotel rooms, and of course give substantial cash gifts.

Neither Bride nor Groom has been inside a church (other than funerals and friends' weddings) for years, but of course their wedding will be held in an opulent church, in front of a prominent minister.

This is bullshit. If ever there were an instance where a couple should just run down to the County Courthouse, get married, and send out announcements of what they have done, this is it. But we live in the age of Entitlement. Who could deny the darlings their day in the limelight?
Bullshit is accurate. They're full grown adults. They've been "living in sin" and are already "married". Now they want the approval of a "church."

Your feelings are valid.

Why are you even going if you feel this way?

They're smart. They didn't get married while not having much money. They've got financial stability. Getting married in one's 20s while just starting bout together without much is simply a dumb idea.

Though single, I support the institute of marriage

Weddings, on the other hand, are fucking retreaded wastes of money. One of woman-kind’s biggest flaws and weaknesses is their bizarre obsession with opulent weddings.

I love weddings and am a strong proponent of marriage, but weddings are out of control. My parents had the most gorgeous wedding--a "candlelight" ceremony at 7:30 followed by cake and punch in the church basement. That was the reception. Cake and punch.

Now even the bachelorette/bachelor parties are whole events. Even when I married 30 years ago it was just a night at the club. Now it's a destination event.

It's just too much.

Though single, I support the institute of marriage

Weddings, on the other hand, are fucking retreaded wastes of money. One of woman-kind’s biggest flaws and weaknesses is their bizarre obsession with opulent weddings.
I've been to several such weddings. Great fun for everyone. If it can be afforded go for it.

Forum List

Back