Library

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I'm starting my most advanced classes on a research paper project, and this morning I took the first group to the library to begin their research. The librarian was kind enough to put together a presentation on how to use the library database and about MLA formatting of sources. What was amazing and somewhat disheartening for me and the librarian was that for many of the students it was their first time in the library! Most had no idea how to look up and find real, physical books in a library, and these were mostly sophomores and juniors. The librarian was very patient and helpful in working with individual students to begin finding the materials they will need for background information and to obtain and cite quotations to complete their research papers. Gotta start somewhere.

It was pretty rewarding to see all the students sitting at wide library tables with 3-4 books open in front of them, jotting notes in notebooks and typing out citations on their laptops. At one point during the first period, a student commented "I didn't know we were in college" with a grin. During the last period of the day the librarian surveyed the scene and said something along the same lines.

They say that most Americans over here in academia have no idea how to research when first arriving .

I'm starting my most advanced classes on a research paper project, and this morning I took the first group to the library to begin their research. The librarian was kind enough to put together a presentation on how to use the library database and about MLA formatting of sources. What was amazing and somewhat disheartening for me and the librarian was that for many of the students it was their first time in the library! Most had no idea how to look up and find real, physical books in a library, and these were mostly sophomores and juniors. The librarian was very patient and helpful in working with individual students to begin finding the materials they will need for background information and to obtain and cite quotations to complete their research papers. Gotta start somewhere.
I suppose the blame for no library exposure would fall on your feeder schools, would it not?

It's great to hear that you're taking proactive steps to guide your students through the research process! The shift towards digital resources in recent years has indeed left many students unfamiliar with traditional library skills.

Forum List

Back