Is it wrong savory oatmeal sounds delicious?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri

I think I'm making this for lunch.

Nah, cinnamon, butter, cream and vanilla for my oatmeal. Mushrooms with barley sounds good though.

Nope, sorry, have at it.........., ain't gonna happen in this house.

Interesting.
I just cant wrap my head around it. But then I love bacon in my grits so I guess I can see it working.
The texter is what I think I'd find off putting.
Let us know how it comes out.
Grits with bacon, cheese and butter is how to properly serve grits............ Unless you're a New Englander..........

Interesting.
I just cant wrap my head around it. But then I love bacon in my grits so I guess I can see it working.
Grits with bacon, cheese and butter is how to properly serve grits............ Unless you're a New Englander..........

I like it with cheese as well. And of course a heavy dose of pepper.

Interesting.

I like to think of grits as Redneck Tofu.
It takes on the flavor of whatever you put into it.

Interesting.

I like to think of grits as Redneck Tofu.
It takes on the flavor of whatever you put into it.
Redneck Tofu..........
:rofl: :lmao: :rofl:

Hmmmm..... can't do it. I'll try it. One bite.

Interesting.
It wasn't bad...but it was missing something.

Might try it again making the oatmeal with a little chicken broth.

On St. Patty's the local diner stirs some whiskey into their oatmeal. It's pretty good, a little unusual.

Tried it again today with some changes.

Into the 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal...

1/3 teaspoon Wyler's granulated chicken powder, pinch o' salt, pinch of powdered ginger and a shake or two of Mrs Dash Herb and Garlic.

Everything else was the same...except garnished with soy sauce, hot sauce and Old Thompson Everything Seasoning for bagels.

Now that was good...

...but...

...I think it would be just as good with grits or cream o' wheat or barley or even rice.

....not quite as convenient though...

Picture below...not exactly instagramable if you know what I mean...

20201102_152123(1)~2.jpg

Tried it again today with some changes.

Into the 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal...

1/3 teaspoon Wyler's granulated chicken powder, pinch o' salt, pinch of powdered ginger and a shake or two of Mrs Dash Herb and Garlic.

Everything else was the same...except garnished with soy sauce, hot sauce and Old Thompson Everything Seasoning for bagels.

Now that was good...

...but...

...I think it would be just as good with grits or cream o' wheat or barley or even rice.

....not quite as convenient though...

Picture below...not exactly instagramable if you know what I mean...

View attachment 410242

So the texture is okay?
It sounds like you're right about that combo working with rice.
Do you make the oatmeal a little dryer than normal?

Interesting.
In SC it's shrimp n creamy style grits. Personally I like them fried best. Pour the cooked grits into a greased loaf pan and set them in the fridge overnight to set up. Next morning dump the loaf pan and slice the grits into thin slices then pan fry in bacon grease. Serve with a little syrup or even. Molasses. Now that's southern cooking the deep south way.

So the texture is okay?
Oh yeah. No problem there.

I mixed it 2:1 water to oats (1 cup water to a half cup oats). Mine is Wal-Mart brand 1 minute style.

It is drier than I'd personally choose oatmeal. It sticks together like instant mashed potatoes with a tad too much water. It wasn't liquid enough to ever find its own level like the way I would want a bowl of sweet oatmeal breakfast.

Interesting.
In SC it's shrimp n creamy style grits. Personally I like them fried best. Pour the cooked grits into a greased loaf pan and set them in the fridge overnight to set up. Next morning dump the loaf pan and slice the grits into thin slices then pan fry in bacon grease. Serve with a little syrup or even. Molasses. Now that's southern cooking the deep south way.

Now I've had shrimp grits living on the Gulf Coast but I've never had grits like you described them.
Definitely going to have to try that.

So the texture is okay?
Oh yeah. No problem there.

I mixed it 2:1 water to oats (1 cup water to a half cup oats). Mine is Wal-Mart brand 1 minute style.

It is drier than I'd personally choose oatmeal. It sticks together like instant mashed potatoes with a tad too much water. It wasn't liquid enough to ever find its own level like the way I would want a bowl of sweet oatmeal breakfast.

Perfect description thanks.

Interesting.

Now I've had shrimp grits living on the Gulf Coast but I've never had grits like you described them.
Definitely going to have to try that.
They're delicious that way. I always have trouble with them sticking to the bottom of the frypan, though.

Forum List

Back