Businessweek: "The U.S. Labor Market Cools, And It's Not Just the Weather"

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
The U.S. Labor Market Cools, And It's Not Just the Weather - Businessweek
Another disappointing employment report this morning. The economy added just 113,000 jobs in January. The average prediction by economists surveyed by Bloomberg was for a gain of 180,000.
Part of the drag is that the government keeps shedding workers. While the private sector added 142,000 jobs last month, government payrolls shrank by 29,000. Those cuts were pretty evenly distributed between the Federal government, which lost 12,000 jobs, and local government, which cut 11,000 jobs, 8,700 of which were to local education staff.

Overall, not a lot changed over the past month. The number of hours people worked in a typical week stayed at 34.4. Average hourly wages increased by five cents, from $24.16 to $24.21. The number of people without jobs (10.2 million) stayed basically the same, and yet the unemployment rate fell a tick, from 6.7 percent to 6.6 percent. The expiration of emergency unemployment benefits for more than a million Americans seems to have played into that, as more people dropped out of the job hunt and are no longer counted as unemployed. So the unemployment rate continues to tumble, for all the wrong reasons.

The job market cooled not because jobs were lost but because they did not grow as fast "as was expected". Now who set those "expectations"? I wonder. :doubt: But it was below expectations so the stock market will probably take a hit today.

US STOCKS-Wall Street to rise despite disappointing jobs report | Reuters
NEW YORK, Feb 7 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks were set to open higher on Friday even as data showed U.S. employers hired fewer workers than expected in January and job gains for December were barely revised up.

Nonfarm payrolls rose 113,000, the Labor Department said, on an expectation of a 185,000 gain. December payrolls were raised only 1,000 to 75,000.

Strong job gains in construction hint that cold weather was probably not a major factor in January job creation, but traders appeared to expect an upward revision. The data also showed job gains in key sectors including manufacturing.

"If you drill down in the components, jobs created were in the sectors you want to see strength," said Quincy Krosby, market strategist at Prudential Financial in Newark, New Jersey.

U.S. stocks posted their best day of the year on Thursday in the wake of sturdy corporate results and a drop in applications for unemployment insurance, which boosted confidence in the economy.

Now in this completely liberal bias media let us just see which headline screams out shall we?

The job market cooled not because jobs were lost but because they did not grow as fast "as was expected". Now who set those "expectations"? I wonder. :doubt:

Economists set the expectations.

But it was below expectations so the stock market will probably take a hit today.

It's up 50 points at the moment.

Our government totally sucks at creating an environment conducive to job creation. We crossed a significant debt-to-GDP line over a decade ago and that is probably the biggest factor in the plunging labor force participation rate we have been experiencing for quite some time.

Another disappointing employment report this morning. The economy added just 113,000 jobs in January. The average prediction by economists surveyed by Bloomberg was for a gain of 180,000.
Part of the drag is that the government keeps shedding workers. While the private sector added 142,000 jobs last month, government payrolls shrank by 29,000. Those cuts were pretty evenly distributed between the Federal government, which lost 12,000 jobs, and local government, which cut 11,000 jobs, 8,700 of which were to local education staff.

Overall, not a lot changed over the past month. The number of hours people worked in a typical week stayed at 34.4. Average hourly wages increased by five cents, from $24.16 to $24.21. The number of people without jobs (10.2 million) stayed basically the same, and yet the unemployment rate fell a tick, from 6.7 percent to 6.6 percent. The expiration of emergency unemployment benefits for more than a million Americans seems to have played into that, as more people dropped out of the job hunt and are no longer counted as unemployed. So the unemployment rate continues to tumble, for all the wrong reasons.
Business Week LIES! :eusa_liar:

Discouraged workers FELL by 80,000 from 917,000 in Dec to 837,000 in Jan. The Right keeps repeating that LIE because they know their sheep are too STUPID and LAZY to check the facts!

I've started to wonder recently if the reduction in government positions over the past several years has been too much too fast. It was one of the few things I had praised Obama about. But I've come to feel that actually it's just another way he's screwing things up. Many experts have been saying for years that the reduction in government jobs has been the biggest, or one of the biggest, thorns in the side for improving unemployment rates.

I've started to wonder recently if the reduction in government positions over the past several years has been too much too fast. It was one of the few things I had praised Obama about. But I've come to feel that actually it's just another way he's screwing things up. Many experts have been saying for years that the reduction in government jobs has been the biggest, or one of the biggest, thorns in the side for improving unemployment rates.

You are exactly right but "no new taxes" and the baby boomers retiring out of the labor market means the government gets cut. Education, R&D, infrastructure, and all other discretionary spending programs have to keep getting smaller despite any long term affect it might have on the future of this country. We will lose to other countries if we continue this path. There is just no denying that. You can thank all those voters who got TEA Party and many Republican members into Congress. Several of those voters are right here on this board.

You are exactly right but "no new taxes" and the baby boomers retiring out of the labor market means the government gets cut. Education, R&D, infrastructure, and all other discretionary spending programs have to keep getting smaller despite any long term affect it might have on the future of this country. We will lose to other countries if we continue this path. There is just no denying that. You can thank all those voters who got TEA Party and many Republican members into Congress. Several of those voters are right here on this board.

What? 7 trillion Fucking dollars spent in 5 year's and you all say that's not enough?

What? 7 trillion Fucking dollars spent in 5 year's and you all say that's not enough?

Yeah, pretty much, that is what I am saying. Wait, no, that is exactly what I am saying. When you invest in a good thing you get good things back. I am sorry if you don't feel that way about America. I do.

Yeah, pretty much, that is what I am saying. Wait, no, that is exactly what I am saying. When you invest in a good thing you get good things back. I am sorry if you don't feel that way about America. I do.

Well that's one way of not accepting accountability for failed policies... I guess.

I'd like to see it done like Harding Coolidge, where we get a boom rather than like Obama/FDR where we remain in a permanent crap economy with historic deficit spending.

The problem is, that money actually could have helped American. Instead, it went to helping the Democrats.

People who believe that government spending is the single best way to improve an economy, really don't understand economics....They're also usually the same people who think that being compassionate is based on how much money you throw at the poor.

The job market cooled not because jobs were lost but because they did not grow as fast "as was expected". Now who set those "expectations"? I wonder. :doubt: But it was below expectations so the stock market will probably take a hit today.

US STOCKS-Wall Street to rise despite disappointing jobs report | Reuters
NEW YORK, Feb 7 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks were set to open higher on Friday even as data showed U.S. employers hired fewer workers than expected in January and job gains for December were barely revised up.

Nonfarm payrolls rose 113,000, the Labor Department said, on an expectation of a 185,000 gain. December payrolls were raised only 1,000 to 75,000.

Strong job gains in construction hint that cold weather was probably not a major factor in January job creation, but traders appeared to expect an upward revision. The data also showed job gains in key sectors including manufacturing.

"If you drill down in the components, jobs created were in the sectors you want to see strength," said Quincy Krosby, market strategist at Prudential Financial in Newark, New Jersey.

U.S. stocks posted their best day of the year on Thursday in the wake of sturdy corporate results and a drop in applications for unemployment insurance, which boosted confidence in the economy.

Now in this completely liberal bias media let us just see which headline screams out shall we?
Th labor force increased, the labor force participation rate went up, And whether or not someone collects UI benefits is irrelevant to their classification of unemployed

It's not robust, but to be fair I think you gotta figure in govt still contracting in number of workers.

Part of the drag is that the government keeps shedding workers. While the private sector added 142,000 jobs last month, government payrolls shrank by 29,000. Those cuts were pretty evenly distributed between the federal government, which lost 12,000 jobs, and local government, which cut 11,000 jobs, 8,700 of which were to local education staff.

Overall, not a lot changed over the past month. The number of hours people worked in a typical week stayed at 34.4. Average hourly wages increased by five cents, from $24.16 to $24.21. The number of people without jobs (10.2 million) stayed basically the same, and yet the unemployment rate fell a tick, from 6.7 percent to 6.6 percent. The expiration of emergency unemployment benefits for more than a million Americans seems to have played into that slightly, as more people dropped out of the job hunt and are no longer counted as unemployed.

It's not robust, but to be fair I think you gotta figure in govt still contracting in number of workers.

Part of the drag is that the government keeps shedding workers
. While the private sector added 142,000 jobs last month, government payrolls shrank by 29,000. Those cuts were pretty evenly distributed between the federal government, which lost 12,000 jobs, and local government, which cut 11,000 jobs, 8,700 of which were to local education staff.

Overall, not a lot changed over the past month. The number of hours people worked in a typical week stayed at 34.4. Average hourly wages increased by five cents, from $24.16 to $24.21. The number of people without jobs (10.2 million) stayed basically the same, and yet the unemployment rate fell a tick, from 6.7 percent to 6.6 percent. The expiration of emergency unemployment benefits for more than a million Americans seems to have played into that slightly, as more people dropped out of the job hunt and are no longer counted as unemployed.

Funny that.

Because the government ADDED JOBS during the time of Reagan and George W. Bush.

Now?

Conservatives want to send government workers packing.

As in PACKING THE UE.

Forum List

Back