There HAS to be life on other planets..

Still arguing with that ignorant strawman
Nope, not arguing with anyone at all.

Stating my point.

you said the rules were arbitrary, and I disagree ... our purpose in life is to love our brothers as we love ourselves, which includes protecting the weak and relieving the oppressed ... healing the sick and feeding the multitudes ... the rules written for these purposes are hardly arbitrary ...
All arbitrary. 100%. Arbitrarily chosen by you. Another person chooses different meaning.

Nope, not arguing with anyone at all.

Stating my point.

All arbitrary. 100%. Arbitrarily chosen by you. Another person chooses different meaning.
Sigh.

Didn't I explain this all already?

"Purpose" is not the correct word

NICHE is the correct word.

Niches are opportunities provided by nature. In most cases they are fleeting, temporary.

They stabilize through dynamic processes, and maybe eventually they reach an equilibrium.

"Purpose" is ex post facto.

When a new niche is occupied, other niches adjust in response.

Sigh.

Didn't I explain this all already?

"Purpose" is not the correct word
I don't disagree. But the semantics don't change the point. So I will avoid such trifling by using purpose, as that is the word others are using.

And the "niche" of which you speak is merely incidental to the only, actual "purpose": reproduction.

I don't disagree. But the semantics don't change the point. So I will avoid such trifling by using purpose, as that is the word others are using.

And the "niche" of which you speak is merely incidental to the only, actual "purpose": reproduction.

Not at all. Nothing in biology stands in isolation.

Niches frequently regulate the amount of reproduction.

Game of life. Foxes, chickens, corn. Hungry chickens don't reproduce.

Everything in biology is dynamically regulated by something else. Even the genes. There's no such thing as a selfish gene, it's just more ex post facto anthropomorphism.

The niches help determine whether and how much of its programming the cell can actualize. That's why there are "bodies", which insulate the cell from the effects of remote niches.

Human beings alter niches faster and more thoroughly than any other organism. Such alteration can be positive )like husbandry) or negative (like rat poison).

Nature has conveniently made organisms "die", which means many of the niches remain fluid. There is no "need" for any particular organism, no "purpose" outside of niche dynamics.

I’m not talking about little green men, and I’ve never been a believer in aliens, I’ve never seen any evidence to prove to me that there are. However…there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, some say even trillions of galaxies. The odds that when the universe formed, that our planet is the ONLY one that ended up being able to sustain intelligent life would have to be astronomically high. It would almost seem impossible that what happened on on earth didn’t also happen somewhere else, or in many different places.

My thought on this is that if earth is the only place where humans ended up, you’d almost have to believe in creation to believe that.

Thoughts?
From one of my top ten favorite movies:

Whether you accept it or not everything is part of the ecosystem and serves a purpose within that ecosystem. Same goes for stellar structures. Think of the universe as a single organism with many parts because that's what it is.

Whether you accept it or not everything is part of the ecosystem and serves a purpose within that ecosystem.
I accepted that. I explicitly agree with it.

Because of course it does. Life is fine tuned to its environment. Again, this is incidental to the selfish genes.

Forum List

Back