The main problem with education

I disagree.

Many parents are like that but not most.

Gut feeling?

I'd be astonished if anyone had appropriated public funding to conclusively point the finger of blame for drop-out rates and other indicators of poor academic performance at...........

THE PUBLIC => Parents!

So I'm not really surprised there are no lists of citations, showing results of any study in this particular area, however, I wonder how on Earth anyone could conclude that "Many parents [do not actively support their children's education] but not most?"

Not gut feeling, parent meetings with similar complaints about teachers telling us to leave them alone and let the professionals handle the education of their children. Then whenever some scandal comes out about these people acting just like their students we're told that we just don't understand.

The good teachers are hamstrung by a system that's there for the benefit of the staff, not the students.

So by "staff" you mean adinistration.

Having been an administrator as well as a teacher, I can assure you that there is no public school system that there for the benefit of the staff. Most staff, even the most dedicated "Teach For America" do not remain in the system much longer than 5 years.

•By their fifth year, 14.8% continue to teach in the same low-income schools to which they were originally assigned.

It isn't politically correct to say so, but the main problem with education is the parents.

Most parents want their children to "have a childhood" and not have to do too much homework. Most parents don't push their children to learn as much as possible. Most parents want their children to go to college so they can get a good job, but they don't believe that learning knowledge per see is important, and don't teach their children that learning knowledge is important.

So of course, children, egged on by the attitudes of their parents, try to get out of actually learning anything, and the children are successful in resisting school and teachers.

Some people push their children to do well in school, and those children then do well, even when a school isn't very good. New Asian immigrant parents especially push their children to do well in school, and Asian children tend to be at the top in their classes.

Jim

"New Asian immigrant parents especially push their children to do well in school, and Asian children tend to be at the top in their classes."

Yeah, booooyyyyeeeeee!

It's a little more complicated than that.

In how many languages have you been fluent?

"Fluent" is an ambiguous and often misapplied term. The answer to your question is 'a few,' but that is really not pertinent to my comments above.

For either of you to be "pertinent" to the thread, you'd need to recognise that students who have parents that speak a second language at home are more likely to learn that second language than the most deidcated foreign language student attending public school.

:neutral:

But continue the blather about how complicated it is to learn a foreign language.

It isn't politically correct to say so, but the main problem with education is the parents.

Most parents want their children to "have a childhood" and not have to do too much homework. Most parents don't push their children to learn as much as possible. Most parents want their children to go to college so they can get a good job, but they don't believe that learning knowledge per see is important, and don't teach their children that learning knowledge is important.

So of course, children, egged on by the attitudes of their parents, try to get out of actually learning anything, and the children are successful in resisting school and teachers.

Some people push their children to do well in school, and those children then do well, even when a school isn't very good. New Asian immigrant parents especially push their children to do well in school, and Asian children tend to be at the top in their classes.

Jim

"New Asian immigrant parents especially push their children to do well in school, and Asian children tend to be at the top in their classes."

Yeah, booooyyyyeeeeee!

Asian, Black, White.....race is immaterial. Almost all parents that are wholly dedicated to their child's intellectual success will have a successful child in school.

Jim

Yeah, booooyyyyeeeeee!

Asian, Black, White.....race is immaterial. Almost all parents that are wholly dedicated to their child's intellectual success will have a successful child in school.

Then why do Asian kids have higher test scores? More dedicated parents?

Republicans explaining how to improve education always makes me "giggle". Which is not as bad as laughing out loud when they explain science.

If you're not a Republicans, don't worry about it.

In how many languages have you been fluent?

"Fluent" is an ambiguous and often misapplied term. The answer to your question is 'a few,' but that is really not pertinent to my comments above.

For either of you to be "pertinent" to the thread, you'd need to recognise [sic] that students who have parents that speak a second language at home are more likely to learn that second language than the most deidcated [sic] foreign language student attending public school..

Since no one had raised that topic before your post, I can only conclude that this was a pretty pathetic attempt at self-aggrandizement.

The problem in this country is that children take childish beliefs into adulthood, instead of trying to understand science and reality.

For either of you to be "pertinent" to the thread, you'd need to recognise [sic] that students who have parents that speak a second language at home are more likely to learn that second language than the most deidcated [sic] foreign language student attending public school..

Since no one had raised that topic before your post, I can only conclude that this was a pretty pathetic attempt at self-aggrandizement.

Another irrelevant conclusion.

:eusa_hand:

At least you've mastered something.

Yeah, booooyyyyeeeeee!

Yes. Asian cultures generally support intellectual development.

Yes. Asian cultures generally support intellectual development.

And tend to have less all-encompassing superstitions than the average American embraces.

Forum List

Back