The federal government should have NOTHING to do with student loans

Then leave it at that. Trying to "pick" majors is just the kind of thing the government fucks up all the time.
I’m only suggesting a way to help the country by allowing some student loan forgiveness for things we really need. While I don’t agree that it’s the governments job, I’ll at least make some concession for people going into careers that benefit the country as a whole.

Make a list of critical degrees. Then offer to repay/forgive student loans of those people who will work for the gov't for a few years. It used to be done with doctors all the time.

I’m only suggesting a way to help the country by allowing some student loan forgiveness for things we really need. While I don’t agree that it’s the governments job, I’ll at least make some concession for people going into careers that benefit the country as a whole.

Like a major in economics?

Same answer…if it’s not an in demand subject that can benefit society as a whole, then no.
Do you know what a great many Political Science majors go on to do?

Do you know what one Economics major went on to become?

Do you know what a great many Political Science majors go on to do?

Do you know what one Economics major went on to become?

Ya know, you’re right. I don’t even know why I’m arguing this. I was trying to make an exception for some majors, but even that gets met with resistance..so I’ll go back to my original stance…the federal governments job is not to pay for people’s college so…no student loan forgiveness for anyone…

Ya know, you’re right. I don’t even know why I’m arguing this. I was trying to make an exception for some majors, but even that gets met with resistance..so I’ll go back to my original stance…the federal governments job is not to pay for people’s college so…no student loan forgiveness for anyone…

There ya go!

My Dialysis nurse said his $18,000 loan was forgiven. I always thought it was $10,000. He said he had been paying on it for years. I personally am against it because Biden skirted around the rules and there are plenty who have been paying on their loans and paid them off.

Make a list of critical degrees. Then offer to repay/forgive student loans of those people who will work for the gov't for a few years. It used to be done with doctors all the time.
That sounds benign, but it indulges the notion that the government is there to assess our needs and then try provide them. And government that "provides" is, inevitably, government that dictates.

That sounds benign, but it indulges the notion that the government is there to assess our needs and then try provide them. And government that "provides" is, inevitably, government that dictates.

It is benign. And to act like every degree is equally valuable is simply naive.

My point is the state shouldn't be deciding which degrees are valuable and which aren't.

If our tax dollars are paying for the education, then the state has a duty to not waste tax dollars on a degree in Basket Weaving.

Forum List

Back