Shenandoah County (Virginia) School Board votes to restore the Confederate memorial names of schools ...

It officially freed the slaves. You are a true idiot and an example why Sherman should have burned the entire South to the ground.
Just another episode of Sinkworrier concerned about his dishes instead of the truth. It officially freed slaves only in the areas controlled by the Union Army in states in rebellion. It freed no slaves in the border states and none in the areas controlled by the Confederate army.

Look up the history of the Juneteenth holiday if you want to know the reason it was celebrated. Why isn't the Emancipation Proclamation celebrated with a holiday if it freed the slaves?

funny blacks are more the reason there own people were put into slavery and never admit it. they also still practice it in africa today. they out ti take time reading the stories of those blacks in slave by there own and learn how these real people who were once slaved looked down an america blacks today as spoiled. it is entresting

That has never been a reason for erecting a statue. Confederate memorials are unique among war memorials in this country.

Most were mass produced and erected well after the war, even in states that were not part of the confederacy or did not exist at the time of the war.

Other war memorials are aldo typically either in cemetaries or to commemorate battle ground sites. Not so the Confederate ones which were often large and prominantly displayed in town centers..

When ever there was a major racial upheavel (Jim Crowe, civil rights) there wasa sudden surge of new monuments, often in towns with a significant Black population.

Should Germany put up memorials to the Nazis? Should they be put in towns whith significant Jewish populations?

Just food for thought here but why not treat them like other war monuments....place them in cemetaries and historic sites?

I think that is a valid concern given the tendancy of people to go too far in either direction. BUT Washington did not participate in the Civil War did he? I don't agree with removing statues simply because the person had slaves, historical context matters and if the reason for the monument had nothing to do with slavery, why remove it?

I don't it is that blurred in the case enslaving peopme and fighting for that "right" or similarly, what the Nazi's did. There might compmex reasons for war, but that doesn't mitigate the fundamental evilbeing fought to preserve. Again, it is a bit like making a casethatGermanyshoyld etect statues honoring major Nazi commanders and figures.
most people are so smal lminded about these confederates and civil war in general . try researching there lives instead of judging and hating them.

most people are so smal lminded about these confederates and civil war in general . try researching there lives instead of judging and hating them.

The Confederacy was an Evil Empire of which there is nothing to celebrate

There was nothing good about the confederacy

Another sign that We the People, the Posterity, have had enough.

Slowly, inch by inch, reclaiming our birthrights. But the battle will take years and we must not grow weary.

Mr America, you now want to restore the names of racist, slave owning, traitors. I thought these folks were Democrats, why do you want to honor Democrats.

You do realize naming schools, highways,monuments, military bases after Confederate heroes was done as an insult to blacks to keep them in their place?
I live in the same region. Do you think Lee Mansion which overlooks Arlington Cemetery was done to keep Blacks in their place?

The most explicit acts to literally keep Blacks in their place I have seen in my life are enlightened Democrats in the Northeast in the 1970s fighting tooth and nail to keep Blacks out of their schools; including, an up and coming US Senator from Delaware ranting at the notion of his kids going to schools with Blacks as “a racial jungle”.

I’d rather my brown kids go to school named after a dead person whose views I don’t agree with vs. going to school in communities that secretly long for racial segregation.

I live in the same region. Do you think Lee Mansion which overlooks Arlington Cemetery was done to keep Blacks in their place?

The most explicit acts to literally keep Blacks in their place I have seen in my life are enlightened Democrats in the Northeast in the 1970s fighting tooth and nail to keep Blacks out of their schools; including, an up and coming US Senator from Delaware ranting at the notion of his kids going to schools with Blacks as “a racial jungle”.

I’d rather my brown kids go to school named after a dead person whose views I don’t agree with vs. going to school in communities that secretly long for racial segregation.

The Shenandoah School Board sent a message

They are still deeply racist and do not care for the opinions of its black residents.

The area is still rich in Civil War heritage and that deserves to be noted. But to celebrate those who fought to enforce slavery is poor judgement

Forum List

Back