Zero Interest on 13-Week T-bills

Pavel Svinchnik

Jan 28, 2018
When one of my 13-week T-bills rolled over last week, the replacement only paid 0.29%. I had moved my savings account money into T-bills last year because the credit union is only paying 0.30% interest. This week's auction was a shocker; the interest rate is zero! Even so, they sold about $56 Billion of them. My guess is that the big investors are expecting another stock market crash in a few months and are just parking their funds in a safe place until equities are a bargain. If the rates stay at zero, I may cancel my April roll-over and put the money back into the savings account.

When one of my 13-week T-bills rolled over last week, the replacement only paid 0.29%. I had moved my savings account money into T-bills last year because the credit union is only paying 0.30% interest. This week's auction was a shocker; the interest rate is zero! Even so, they sold about $56 Billion of them. My guess is that the big investors are expecting another stock market crash in a few months and are just parking their funds in a safe place until equities are a bargain. If the rates stay at zero, I may cancel my April roll-over and put the money back into the savings account.
/——/ If you want to hedge against another crash, buy this Bear ETF: TZA. It goes up when the Russell goes down.

Forum List

Back