Zealot

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've just finished reading the historical book, "Zealot: The Life and times of Jesus of Nazareth," by Reza Aslan.

To summarize the book in a couple of sentences, Aslan has reviewed scores of documents and manuscripts about the history of the times, as well as source material originating with the Apostles and early church leaders, Paul (of course), the Romans, Greeks, and other cultures that wrote about the period and the following couple hundred years.

His historical speculations about Jesus' early life are fascinating and appear to be fact and reality based. For example, the town of Nazareth never had more than a couple hundred inhabitants, it had no synagogue, and there was certainly not enough population to support a family of "carpenters" or other craftsmen. Jesus spoke only Aramaic, and neither he nor any of the Apostles could read or write, nor could they speak Hebrew, Greek, or any other language besides Aramaic.

His conclusion is that Jesus and the Apostles remained "orthodox" jews for their entire lives, albeit jews who accepted Jesus as the Messiah (and not "a Messiah). The Christian faith that we now know was basically the invention of Saul/Paul, whose knowledge of Jesus' teachings arose out of mystical meetings and conversations - he never actually met Jesus.

Furthermore, James the Just (younger brother of Jesus) was the undisputed head of the Jerusalem-based sect, superior to Peter and all the others. Indeed, James called Paul "on the carpet" in Jerusalem after hearing for a decade or more about the conflicting teachings of Paul, and James ordered Paul to participate in a purification ritual at the Temple, to publicly affirm his being subject to the Laws of Moses.

The church of Paul was more oriented to the Roman and Greek audience, who had to be convinced that Jesus was NOT a rebel who promoted insurrection against Rome, but rather a God-man who preached a "Kingdom of God" that was not of this world. Had any of these details been different, the religion would have been quashed by the Romans immediately.

Anyway, interesting, thought provoking stuff.

One thing it does explain (among scores of other things) is the contrast which still sparks fights among Christians today, between Paul's "Christianity" in which faith (alone) can save you, and the more Apostolic view that faith necessarily includes good works.

I've just finished reading the historical book, "Zealot: The Life and times of Jesus of Nazareth," by Reza Aslan.

To summarize the book in a couple of sentences, Aslan has reviewed scores of documents and manuscripts about the history of the times, as well as source material originating with the Apostles and early church leaders, Paul (of course), the Romans, Greeks, and other cultures that wrote about the period and the following couple hundred years.

His historical speculations about Jesus' early life are fascinating and appear to be fact and reality based. For example, the town of Nazareth never had more than a couple hundred inhabitants, it had no synagogue, and there was certainly not enough population to support a family of "carpenters" or other craftsmen. Jesus spoke only Aramaic, and neither he nor any of the Apostles could read or write, nor could they speak Hebrew, Greek, or any other language besides Aramaic.

His conclusion is that Jesus and the Apostles remained "orthodox" jews for their entire lives, albeit jews who accepted Jesus as the Messiah (and not "a Messiah). The Christian faith that we now know was basically the invention of Saul/Paul, whose knowledge of Jesus' teachings arose out of mystical meetings and conversations - he never actually met Jesus.

Furthermore, James the Just (younger brother of Jesus) was the undisputed head of the Jerusalem-based sect, superior to Peter and all the others. Indeed, James called Paul "on the carpet" in Jerusalem after hearing for a decade or more about the conflicting teachings of Paul, and James ordered Paul to participate in a purification ritual at the Temple, to publicly affirm his being subject to the Laws of Moses.

The church of Paul was more oriented to the Roman and Greek audience, who had to be convinced that Jesus was NOT a rebel who promoted insurrection against Rome, but rather a God-man who preached a "Kingdom of God" that was not of this world. Had any of these details been different, the religion would have been quashed by the Romans immediately.

One thing it does explain (among scores of other things) is the contrast which still sparks fights among Christians today, between Paul's "Christianity" in which faith (alone) can save you, and the more Apostolic view that faith necessarily includes good works.

Sounds thought-provoking. However, I cannot stomach Reza Aslan—no pun intended; he once ate human brains. I despise cannibals.

Sounds thought-provoking. However, I cannot stomach Reza Aslan—no pun intended; he once ate human brains. I despise cannibals.

Can't trust former CNN host Reza Aslan. He's off his rocker. He called for the shooting of Fox host Kellyanne Conway and killings of Trump Supporters.

As I recall, the main point of the book was that Jesus wanted to free the Holy Land, land promised to the Jews by God, from the pagan Romans. I suspect he would be appalled to learn his followers turned the religion of Jesus into a religion about Jesus.

His conclusion is that Jesus and the Apostles remained "orthodox" jews for their entire lives

First century Jews were all "orthodox". Alternative classifications of Jewish theology all date from the 19th Century, except for Hasidim, which dates from the late 18th century.

His conclusion is that Jesus and the Apostles remained "orthodox" jews for their entire lives

First century Jews were all "orthodox". Alternative classifications of Jewish theology all date from the 19th Century, except for Hasidim, which dates from the late 18th century.
I'd bet that there were as many different flavors of Judaism then as there are now. Maybe more.

I'd bet that there were as many different flavors of Judaism then as there are now. Maybe more.

In terms of observance, you may be right. Different people tend to have different ideas on how observant they chose to be and, I suspect no two people are alike on that.

Because Judaism doesn't hold the threat of Hell over the heads of Jews, the only thing really enforcing observance is community pressure and how much a person chooses to adhere to community standards which, in the First Century CE, were pretty strict.

I merely point out that the term "Orthodox" has no meaning in relation to First Century Jews and simply being a Jew obligated you to follow the laws of observance.

I accept the book on its own terms. The source material is well documented. What he has said and advocated in the past does not interest me.

He portrays Judaism of the first century (before 70 AD) as mainly focused on ceremonies and rituals taking place at the temple in Jerusalem, and specifically the blood sacrifice rituals overseen by the Sanhedrin and the priests. When Rome literally destroyed Jerusalem in 70 AD Judaism was forced to adapt to completely changed circumstances, which it has. As did the followers of Jesus/Paul. Paul's "Christianity" won out over that of James the Just, Peter, and the others.

I accept the book on its own terms. The source material is well documented. What he has said and advocated in the past does not interest me.

He portrays Judaism of the first century (before 70 AD) as mainly focused on ceremonies and rituals taking place at the temple in Jerusalem, and specifically the blood sacrifice rituals overseen by the Sanhedrin and the priests. When Rome literally destroyed Jerusalem in 70 AD Judaism was forced to adapt to completely changed circumstances, which it has. As did the followers of Jesus/Paul. Paul's "Christianity" won out over that of James the Just, Peter, and the others.
I don't know why this Aslan fellow would have thought Jesus was an Orthodox Jew. Jesus taught contrary to orthodoxy. Not only did he foretell the destruction of the temple and some of the circumstances surrounding it (armies surrounding Jerusalem, the flight of the Christians, etc.), but he also taught a resurrection contrary to what orthodoxy taught. The Pharisees and their scribes, the elders, and the chief priests were all indignant at the thought of their age coming to an end, and even more indignant to hear that resurrection was not new life in land or temple but rather new life in God. Jesus and Paul both taught these things; the Jews wanted to kill both of them.

I think James (and Peter) eventually came around to Jesus and Paul's thinking. Certainly, according to Galatians, they were on the same page as Paul regarding Christ's own resurrection, having nothing to add to his message (2:6). And if they extended to him the right hand of fellowship (2:9), they were probably pretty much in sync with him generally speaking.

Forum List

Back