Zappa Music

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I was first introduced to Zappa music at Adlai Stevenson HS in the South Bronx in the early 1970's. A friend of mine gave me the "Uncle Meat" vinyl to take home. I was overwhelmed. I had no musical training but it felt like there were layers upon layers of music that was different from FM radio. I was huge fan of Cream, Led Zeppelin, then later Deep Purple and Rainbow. I was somewhat frustrated and felt that you just had to have some musical background and knowledge to "get it" with FZ

Later, in Manhattan College, another friend gave me the "Overnight Sensation" album, I was fucking hooked with an addiction that continues to this day.

When I come across a FZ piece of music I like, I will listen repeatedly. For example, I've listened, very intently to the "Heavy Duty Judy" from ShutUpNPlayYerGuitar probably 500 times. I will focus on the guitar, then another listen to the bass, etc.

I came across the following analysis of "Alien Orifice", it's a jazzy piece with so much going on. In fact, it's an 1 hour 38 minutes to explain an 4 minute song! It's amazing! If it sounds like there's a lot going on musically - it's because there is!

I can't tell a minor second from a ham sandwich, but it's fun and enjoyable to understand the composition

Need an algebra class to unpack the note phrasing. :laugh2:

Gbmaj7(#11) Fmaj7(#11) Emaj7(#11) Ebmaj7(#11)

I heard an interview regarding the time signatures, FZ said that he come up with the melody first, without regard to the timing and only when he wrote it out or had someone transcribe it were the "odd" signatures revealed

I was first introduced to Zappa music at Adlai Stevenson HS in the South Bronx in the early 1970's. A friend of mine gave me the "Uncle Meat" vinyl to take home. I was overwhelmed. I had no musical training but it felt like there were layers upon layers of music that was different from FM radio. I was huge fan of Cream, Led Zeppelin, then later Deep Purple and Rainbow. I was somewhat frustrated and felt that you just had to have some musical background and knowledge to "get it" with FZ

Later, in Manhattan College, another friend gave me the "Overnight Sensation" album, I was fucking hooked with an addiction that continues to this day.

When I come across a FZ piece of music I like, I will listen repeatedly. For example, I've listened, very intently to the "Heavy Duty Judy" from ShutUpNPlayYerGuitar probably 500 times. I will focus on the guitar, then another listen to the bass, etc.

I came across the following analysis of "Alien Orifice", it's a jazzy piece with so much going on. In fact, it's an 1 hour 38 minutes to explain an 4 minute song! It's amazing! If it sounds like there's a lot going on musically - it's because there is!

I can't tell a minor second from a ham sandwich, but it's fun and enjoyable to understand the composition

Didn't realize it for a long time, but he was a genius for sure, looking at his whole catalog and hearing all the great stories about him.

Didn't realize it for a long time, but he was a genius for sure, looking at his whole catalog and hearing all the great stories about him.

MY introduction to Zappa was Bongo Fury on which the track "Muffin Man" appears.

Mine was Shut up n Play.

I'd heard all the 'radio Frank' but until around 84 hadn't heard much of his other work so I bought the 3 record vinyl set 'Shut up n play Yer Guitar' and it was fairly eye-opening. Jean Luc Ponty, Steve Vai and all the other great musicians on there too.

I was first introduced to Zappa music at Adlai Stevenson HS in the South Bronx in the early 1970's. A friend of mine gave me the "Uncle Meat" vinyl to take home. I was overwhelmed.

Uncle Meat was a great introduction to FZ. I have a mint copy original pressing of that album as well as his first release with the Mothers.

Bongo Fury is another great album I simply adore.

I never saw any of his live shows :(

When we lived in Bayside Queens and had one of those cassette answering machines. I took the section of Sofa starting at about 1:35 and talked over it for our "leave a message" We were looking for window blinds and I called a few local companies. One guy called back and his message was "I loved Zappa! I saw every show in NY, NJ and CT every time he toured." Dan P and I are still friends to this day. I texted him a picture of my in my Zappa covid mask.

I never saw any of his live shows :(

When we lived in Bayside Queens and had one of those cassette answering machines. I took the section of Sofa starting at about 1:35 and talked over it for our "leave a message" We were looking for window blinds and I called a few local companies. One guy called back and his message was "I loved Zappa! I saw every show in NY, NJ and CT every time he toured." Dan P and I are still friends to this day. I texted him a picture of my in my Zappa covid mask.

Me neither, well, except on Youtube--too young. :( My eldest uncle (54) turned me on to him about six years ago.

Forum List

Back