Yoy do realize that Republicans pushed prohibition and enabled the rise of FDR .

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Interesting to note that the party of personal liberty pushed prohibition and their actions resulted in the rise of Democrats and FDR dominating the govt for some time.

Is this one of those "all Republicans today are hypocrites," threads?

Nope. Many of todays right wingers are hypocrites. But that has nothing to do with this thread.
Just a factoid that refutes right wing mythology.

Republicans of today are not the Republicans of the early 20th century or even of the mid 20th century.
the only mostly constant has been their support of big business and not wanting to pay taxes.

Last edited:

Nope. Many of todays right wingers are hypocrites. But that has nothing to do with this thread.

Republicans of today are not the Republicans of the early 20th century or even of the mid 20th century.

I suppose no Democrats supported the Shepard Act or the Volstead Act?

the only mostly constant has been their support of big business and not wanting to pay taxes.

You just killed your thread by posting your addendum.

Ohh as with everything some did, but mostly the Republicans and religious right rode the political wave of prohibition. It is how Hoover got elected.

Prohibition was progressive. Personally, I think we should have actually obeyed it. But people weren't ready to be free of alcohol in their lives. It's a shame. This nation would be much better sober. But then Im always for a we should do it voluntarily and not because we are forced to be government.

Actually prohibition began with the racism against Germans promoted by the Woodie Wilson administration during WW1. According to Wilson too many Germans were in the beer brewing industry and patriotic Americans needed to shut down the American German beer industry to make way for organized crime and Al Capone.

Interesting to note that the party of personal liberty pushed prohibition and their actions resulted in the rise of Democrats and FDR dominating the govt for some time.

hello, only 2 states voted against the amendment, 46-2, over 4 years and the democrats went 3-1 for it, senate and 2-1 house......... :eusa_eh:

Last edited:

Ohh as with everything some did, but mostly the Republicans and religious right rode the political wave of prohibition. It is how Hoover got elected.

some? :lol:

Actually, Prohibition had little to do with the rise of FDR.

Prohibition was approved because the Temperence Movement used anti-German and anti-Immigrant hysteria during World War I to get people to approve an amendment they had no idea would actually apply to them. "Why, we need to close those taverns, where those German immigrants are doing....ummm... German things. Like wearing Liederhosen!"

When the law was actually imposed, most people ignored it. And finally, sheepishly, they repealed it.

Which should have been a lesson to the idiots who push the war on drugs, the idiots who want to ban handguns, the people who want to ban abortion, the people who support prostitution laws.

But it wasn't.

I don't think you folks realize how much people drank before prohibition.

Not that I support that law, then or now, but people SERIOUSLY drank back in the day.

For many people, and I do not mean drunks I mean many respected citizens, drinking wasn't a social event, it was an every day all day event.

Men who drank, for example, a quart of whiskey a day weren't uncommon, and they had jobs and they weren't thought especially unusual.

And people drank hard liquor, too, not a whole lot of wine and beer.

Preprohibition alcohol use that was tolerated back thenm made the alcohol use of the 1950's look like tea tottling.

Forum List

Back