You're Still Not "Selectively Editing".. Shape Up...

Think I've received about 52 notifications from that one thread alone about the President and First Lady catching the bug. That's including the previous 14.

Still, though, not one person actually said anything to me. I tell ya. Some people...

I'd say most members ARE helping with our helpless situation of having a bug in Xenforo S/Ware that Xenforo has no interest in fixing apparently.. You're POUNDING THE REPLY button like a set of trained lab monkeys. STOP IT !!!

If you have no idea what I'm screeching about -- you're probably in the 15 to 20% who have not read this...

Tempted to put some targeted alerts in here -- can't do it because I've got a principle or two -- but like in any COMMUNAL REQUEST -- about 5% of the people are causing 75% of the problems..

So here's what we're gonna do --- I'm asking members who are contacting ME about their inboxes filling up with alerts -- sometimes 100s of them overnight (mine also) when they LEFT the thread DAYS ago -- I'm telling those members to answer a few of those alerts and just politely request that they read the link above.. And then just leave please.. Don't derail the thread.. MAKE THE POINT THAT YOU ARE NOT PICKING ON THE PERSON you're responding to in the post. Because they are JUST ONE of maybe 4 or 5 that are so invested in poking each other they don't REALIZE they are editing a reply with 20 or 30 previous quotes in the message..

If you SEE even 10 or 15 quotes in the REPLY editing box -- YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG.. Please help..

Kat Meister AyeCantSeeYou Dont Taz Me Bro Coyote

"If you have no idea what I'm screeching about -- you're probably in the 15 to 20% who have not read this..."

I am doing it right or not right? Tell me yes or no.

I'd say most members ARE helping with our helpless situation of having a bug in Xenforo S/Ware that Xenforo has no interest in fixing apparently.. You're POUNDING THE REPLY button like a set of trained lab monkeys. STOP IT !!!

If you have no idea what I'm screeching about -- you're probably in the 15 to 20% who have not read this...

Tempted to put some targeted alerts in here -- can't do it because I've got a principle or two -- but like in any COMMUNAL REQUEST -- about 5% of the people are causing 75% of the problems..

So here's what we're gonna do --- I'm asking members who are contacting ME about their inboxes filling up with alerts -- sometimes 100s of them overnight (mine also) when they LEFT the thread DAYS ago -- I'm telling those members to answer a few of those alerts and just politely request that they read the link above.. And then just leave please.. Don't derail the thread.. MAKE THE POINT THAT YOU ARE NOT PICKING ON THE PERSON you're responding to in the post. Because they are JUST ONE of maybe 4 or 5 that are so invested in poking each other they don't REALIZE they are editing a reply with 20 or 30 previous quotes in the message..

If you SEE even 10 or 15 quotes in the REPLY editing box -- YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG.. Please help..

Using a phone isn’t exactly easy. Sw sucks

Having these long "quote nests" make mobile EVEN TOUGHER.. If folks HELP with this editing bug -- it will improve things on mobile..

Having these long "quote nests" make mobile EVEN TOUGHER.. If folks HELP with this editing bug -- it will improve things on mobile..
I agree. I was merely pointing out that I'd bet that would be most of the excuses.

about 5% of the people are causing 75% of the problems..

But, will everyone get a chance to see my brilliant posts? What if someone misses one? There lives will be, so much lesser than they could have been.

Sure. FIne, I will give it a shot.

about 5% of the people are causing 75% of the problems..

But, will everyone get a chance to see my brilliant posts? What if someone misses one? There lives will be, so much lesser than they could have been.

Sure. FIne, I will give it a shot.

You're "brilliance" will NOT be lost in a mile long river of sludge... It will stand out and LIGHT the way for the entire country... :eek:

" Opinion In Favor For Making Them Learn To Manually Multi-Quote "

* Multi-Quote Administrator Option *

Think I've received about 52 notifications from that one thread alone about the President and First Lady catching the bug. That's including the previous 14.
Still, though, not one person actually said anything to me. I tell ya. Some people...
There is not a justifiable necessity of space resources for a default multi-quote option , given that the basic user is too lazy , or too incompetent , and usually to poorly educated to make succinct references to a particular point of issue .

The multi-quote options of " +Quote " and " -Quote " are resulting in the same data being entered upon selecting " Reply " , so perhaps it is possible to get that option working and also making " -Quote " the default setting to weed out the dummies .

Alternatively , the Xforo discussion boards indicate that a nested quote option only returns the last response ; and , if one wants to add additional responses it is necessary to manually nest the quotes by retrieving the sections by replying to the other posts .

The previous steps to manually generate the nested posts takes more effort to extract content from the breadcrumb trail but it is not any more difficult than the low level learning curve to strip out unnecessary comments or to target specific comments for response .

[URL='https://xenforo.com/community/threads/nested-quotes.15625/post-205281' said:
Nested Quotes[/URL]"]I realize for most multi-quote is more desirable than nested and nested are disliked.
My site is the opposite. We hardly ever use multi-quote but we do have long posts with a lot of detail within each where nested quotes keep the conversation flowing and making sense.
So, is there a way I can set nested quotes to at least 3 deep?

I really need it. On vB I had the Nested Quotes. I don't care if mutli-quote works right or not.
Thanks.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/nested-quotes.15625/post-205373 said:
XenForo supports nested quotes, but the reply form only quotes one-level deep. That's not to say you can't manually nest the quotes. It will work.
If you want the editor to automatically do fully nested quotes then you need to modify the code:
library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Post.php
This is the relevant code:

Last edited:
The multi-quote options of " +Quote " and " -Quote " are resulting in the same data being entered upon selecting " Reply " , so perhaps it is possible to get that option working and also making " -Quote " the default setting to weed out the dummies .

THis is EXACTLY why when I did the tutorial -- I AVOIDED using the +quote option.. It's obscure and difficult.. INSTEAD I suggested using the easiest method of going to post you want to quote from and simply HIGHLIGHTING the section you want to respond to.. The S./Ware sees the highlight and gives you a smaller "reply" option that adds that material to where the edit cursor currently is.. You can use this INSTITUTIONALLY and REPETITIVELY for breaking up the post you're responding to.. Can even use it to respond to MULTIPLE posts in the same reply...

It's the same END result as +quote, but the "highlight" method inherently trains you to position the editing cursor directly where you want the next section to go.. So that you're not managing chunks of quotes with the +quote and -quote options..

Alternatively , the Xforo discussion boards indicate that a nested quote option only returns the last response ; and , if one wants to add additional responses it is necessary to manually nest the quotes by retrieving the sections by replying to the other posts .

There's the issue.. A DISCUSSION board needs thread context.. Without being able to see a short history of the convo -- the discussion part just degrades to shit.. Also moderation NEEDS the link backs provided in deep nested quotes to trace back where that food fight began..

So the DEPTH of nesting is the issue.. There used to be MORE CHOICES. NOW -- in the latest version Xenforo version -- the ONLY CHOICES are 1 previous quote OR EVERYTHING in the chain of replies.. Potentially INFINITELY long quote nests or virtually NOTHING...

We can't run USMB and not look like Twitter with ONE previous quote.. Even Twitter has nesting.. Don't get me started on this because I think we've been SCREWED by Xenforo by not addressing this promptly.. They've "moved on" from building "Discussion Forum" S/Ware to making XForo do EVERYTHING and fit EVERY market -- from FAQ boards to Polling services to Auto parts inventory..

I'd say most members ARE POUNDING like monkeys And poking each other YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG.
How did I do?

I tried to be as selective as I could without distracting from the original post.

At some point - it's always been the case that if you snip TOO LITTLE -- you might be purposely misrepresenting what the poster was saying.. Kinda like sound bites on TV that all the networks have mastered to tell a different story.. Don't "under snip" just to harass folks...

Forum List

Back