You're Still Not Selectively Editing.. Get on Board..

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
I'd say most members ARE helping with our helpless situation of having a bug in Xenforo S/Ware that Xenforo has no interest in fixing apparently.. You're POUNDING THE REPLY button like a set of trained lab monkeys. STOP IT !!!

If you have no idea what I'm screeching about -- you're probably in the 15 to 20% who have not read this...

Tempted to put some targeted alerts in here -- can't do it because I've got a principle or two -- but like in any COMMUNAL REQUEST -- about 5% of the people are causing 75% of the problems..

So here's what we're gonna do --- I'm asking members who are contacting ME about their inboxes filling up with alerts -- sometimes 100s of them overnight (mine also) when they LEFT the thread DAYS ago -- I'm telling those members to answer a few of those alerts and just politely request that they read the link above.. And then just leave please.. Don't derail the thread.. MAKE THE POINT THAT YOU ARE NOT PICKING ON THE PERSON you're responding to in the post. Because they are JUST ONE of maybe 4 or 5 that are so invested in poking each other they don't REALIZE they are editing a reply with 20 or 30 previous quotes in the message..

If you SEE even 10 or 15 quotes in the REPLY editing box -- YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG.. Please help..

Last edited:
How about instead of replying to a specific poster and hitting the reply button, we just holler "Hey So and So! I think you are incorrect, blah blah La La" and not use the reply button at all? At least until it can be squished (the bug). And if you REALLY need someones attention to respond to whatever they said, use the @ button. Like I said....until you find a good flyswatter.

I'd say most members ARE helping with our helpless situation of having a bug in Xenforo S/Ware that Xenforo has no interest in fixing apparently.. You're POUNDING THE REPLY button like a set of trained lab monkeys. STOP IT !!!

If you have no idea what I'm screeching about -- you're probably in the 15 to 20% who have not read this...

Tempted to put some targeted alerts in here -- can't do it because I've got a principle or two -- but like in any COMMUNAL REQUEST -- about 5% of the people are causing 75% of the problems..

So here's what we're gonna do --- I'm asking members who are contacting ME about their inboxes filling up with alerts -- sometimes 100s of them overnight (mine also) when they LEFT the thread DAYS ago -- I'm telling those members to answer a few of those alerts and just politely request that they read the link above.. And then just leave please.. Don't derail the thread.. MAKE THE POINT THAT YOU ARE NOT PICKING ON THE PERSON you're responding to in the post. Because they are JUST ONE of maybe 4 or 5 that are so invested in poking each other they don't REALIZE they are editing a reply with 20 or 30 previous quotes in the message..

If you SEE even 10 or 15 quotes in the REPLY editing box -- YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG.. Please help..

Exactly, thank you, helloOooo...

How about instead of replying to a specific poster and hitting the reply button, we just holler "Hey So and So! I think you are incorrect, blah blah La La" and not use the reply button at all? At least until it can be squished (the bug). And if you REALLY need someones attention to respond to whatever they said, use the @ button. Like I said....until you find a good flyswatter.

Because that reply just starts a NEW "thread nest".. If ya want to remove the hornets -- you go for the nest.. LOL.. Besides picking out ONE PERSON when 6 or 10 are responsible for the 100 alerts in your inbox isn't fair and will start a fight..

But we need help from the membership to remind folks when they see it.. It RUINS the whole mobile experience to have a post edit box with a dozen or more quoted replies already in it...

Funny I just turn off alerts and there is NO problem. I guess that is just to easy. I mean all ya gotta do is log on and check what is current and new. But instead you demand we alter things and do stupid shit.

Why not just take away the quote feature. If someone wants to comment on what someone else says, they can cut and paste it, then respond. Right?

How about "reply all" and "reply only" buttons. Problem solved.

Funny I just turn off alerts and there is NO problem. I guess that is just to easy. I mean all ya gotta do is log on and check what is current and new. But instead you demand we alter things and do stupid shit.

If you turn off your alerts, then you don't see the interesting topics you are involved in that some mods constantly remove. With the alerts, you can still follow the conversation because responses to it appear in the alerts window.

How about "reply all" and "reply only" buttons. Problem solved.

I don't know if it will solve anything because people will continue to hit reply all. Flacaltenn told me about this over a week ago, and because I've been here so long and doing things the same way for five years, I still accidentally do it for long threads. It's especially easy to forget when you are in a very active topic and trying to respond fast enough to keep pace with everybody else.

Forum List

Back