Your Mileage May Vary...Fuel Economy Thread

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I'm transcribing this from a Road and Track Magazine...I thought some of y'all may enjoy the read. Know that i'm picking and choosing parts of the piece.

Aero vs A/C

The importance of aero has given rise to a good folk legend: You're better off, so goest the myth, running with your car's Air Conditioning (AC) on and the windows up, rather than invoking the added drage of what we used to call "440 a/c" (that is, 4 windows down, 40mph).
The tradeoff is car-and velocity-sensitive, but my sources tell me that it's generally not beneficial at anything resembling legal speeds. Air conditioning can be as much as a 20-percent hit in fuel consumption. Unless heat and humidity call for it, you're better leaving the AC off and the windows rolled down (Purely as an aside, do young people wonder why we "roll down" a window?)

There's a corollary to all this concerning a climate control's Defrost setting. This mode typically activiates the AC as a dehumidifier and is certianly essential in clearing the windshield and side windows. Once they're clear, though, you're better off switching the system from Defrost to Heat; otherwise you may be running the AC all winter long.

Revs aren't Free - and alas, Neither is Speed
It's only in racing - and with execptions even there- that "revs are free." In fact, entertaining though they may be - and sonorous though they may sound - revs pay a penalty in fuel consumption and in wear.

Also, among the things under your control, one with a most profound effect on fuel consumption is your car's speed. Power requirements gro with the square of vehicle velocity (e.g., double the speed, quadruple the required power). And, obviously, power demand is directly related to fuel consumed.

Whatever is an enthusiast to do?
When I'm canyon running, corner strafing or, just for the fun of it, beating that fellow next to me across the intersection, I think of my earlier comment about 'Liquid entertainment'. And certainly we have the least expensive gasoline anywhere I'd want to live.
On the other hand, a lot of my motoring is rather more mundane. And there's genuine satisfaction in performing it efficiently.

WOT/Short-Shifting

Remember Coah Grimbly's dictum about "driving with an egg under your foot"? Forget it. The most efficient way to reach cruising speed is wide-open-throttle (WOT) short shifting. That is, not only do revs cost money, but so does prolonged motoring in lower gear, when throttling and pumping losses are at their greatest.

WOT/Short-shifting can save as much as 20 percent in city driving, worst to best case. In actual practice, rarely does traffic allow full WOT, but it's certianly fun - and efficient as well - to accelerate briskly through the lower gears to whatever the ambient speed happens to be.

Once there, the appropriate choice of gear is one that offers modest RPM with relatively large (and constant!) throttle. Here, Coach Grimbly is vindicated. Dithering the accelerator is a pure waste of fuel, as is a slice-and-dice driving style. Read the traffic and go with the flow. Said one of my sources, "In fuel-economical mode, never request more power than is necessary to get to the next deceleration." There's a good enthusiast message here: Once up to speed, maintain it.

And, of course, avoid last-instant braking that wastes both fuel and brake hardware. A word on hybrid braking; It's useful to 'shape the stop', that is, not to overwhelm the instantaneous capacity of regeneratvie braking. What's optimal is a relatively gentle initial pedal, followed by increased pressure as speed diminishes. Some hybrids have regen gauges that help in perfecting this technique.

Last, a lot of this is manual-shift-oriented, but thoughtful mimicking with an automatic can yield benefits as well.

I've got this neat fuel-saving gizmo!

What of fuel gizmos? Briefly, save your money. Noted one of my sources, "The engine burns fuel with 99-percent efficiency. The inefficiencies are heat-induced, not related to fuel burn." Said another, "Such gizmos enhance the financial transfer from your pocket to the seller's."

Automakers have tremendous incentive to improve their products. Anything with legitimate cost/benefit ratio - and thus, real advertising advantage - would be accepted in an instant.

For example, driving aids, gizmos giving information that aguments fuel frugality, can be of real benefit. One example is tire-pressure monitoring. Another is a hybrid's regen meter to help the driver optimize braking techniques.

Drove our just broken in Ford 500 from Winston-Salem (elevation 800) to our vacation home in the mountains (elevation 5000). On the way up I averaged 22.4 mpg (according to the dash display). For the 180 mile round trip I averaged 26.8. That means that I got 31.2 on the way down.

The car has AWD and a CVT. Advertised highway milegae is 27 for this combo, vs 29 for the FWD 6 speed auto.

Drove our just broken in Ford 500 from Winston-Salem (elevation 800) to our vacation home in the mountains (elevation 5000). On the way up I averaged 22.4 mpg (according to the dash display). For the 180 mile round trip I averaged 26.8. That means that I got 31.2 on the way down.

The car has AWD and a CVT. Advertised highway milegae is 27 for this combo, vs 29 for the FWD 6 speed auto.

My car is rated at 18 city/23 highway, although I never get better than 17 in town, and never better than 20 highway. Other RX8 owners are seeing mpg in the 10-15 range. :(

My car is rated at 18 city/23 highway, although I never get better than 17 in town, and never better than 20 highway. Other RX8 owners are seeing mpg in the 10-15 range. :(

That's because of the rotary turd under the hood. Oh, and because Mazda is personally out to get you. ;)

:D

That's because of the rotary turd under the hood. Oh, and because Mazda is personally out to get you. ;)

:D

And it's cuz Mazda is COMPLETELY full of shit when it comes to most engine-related specs. Check that - they are full of shit when it comes to two of the most important engine-related specs :)

And it's cuz Mazda is COMPLETELY full of shit when it comes to most engine-related specs. Check that - they are full of shit when it comes to two of the most important engine-related specs :)

It's because you like cake. :thup:

Mazda absolutely cannot stand the fact that you like cake.

Really? Seems to me I'm getting right AT their specs. The high spikes were 100% highway driving roadtrips (once there, once back), the rest is a mix, prolly 60-70 city and 30 highway on average.

291445213233900cd.jpg

Really? Seems to me I'm getting right AT their specs. The high spikes were 100% highway driving roadtrips (once there, once back), the rest is a mix, prolly 60-70 city and 30 highway on average.

Have you had your car on the dyno? (to get AF readings?) My car runs...pretty rich.

Can't complain TOO Much, because it does make pretty good power - for an RX8. W/ my intake and catback, I'm only about 10hp shy of what the car SHOULD have made, stock. :)

:(

I read a study a few weeks ago that concluded the advertised mpg was typically 10% higher than the real mpg. I think we all know whats on the sticker, for the most part, is BS anyway.

Have you had your car on the dyno? (to get AF readings?) My car runs...pretty rich.

Can't complain TOO Much, because it does make pretty good power - for an RX8. W/ my intake and catback, I'm only about 10hp shy of what the car SHOULD have made, stock. :)

:(
Alls I knows is I drives my car ands I gets the advertised mileage.

I've always got better than advertised mileage. Heck, when I was in college driving my old '72 LTD "hotel lobby on wheels" I got 18. Maybe you need to be more gentle on the gas peddle. Or use the brake less often- that's the real gas waster.

I've always got better than advertised mileage. Heck, when I was in college driving my old '72 LTD "hotel lobby on wheels" I got 18. Maybe you need to be more gentle on the gas peddle. Or use the brake less often- that's the real gas waster.

It's not 'me' - it's the car. Most RX8 owners get measurably-less-than-advertised mileage. I don't drive my car for mileage, anyway - I drive it for fun. And my car getting only a couple mpg less than advertised is no big deal, IMO...because, again, I drive for fun quite often - Floor the air pedal, then shift about 9000 thru the first two gears. :)

It happens my 'normal' style of driving "Flooring the Air pedal, but shifting VERY low - around 3-3500 RPMS" seems to be the best way to increase/get good mileage. :)

It's not 'me' - it's the car. Most RX8 owners get measurably-less-than-advertised mileage. I don't drive my car for mileage, anyway - I drive it for fun. And my car getting only a couple mpg less than advertised is no big deal, IMO...because, again, I drive for fun quite often - Floor the air pedal, then shift about 9000 thru the first two gears. :)

It happens my 'normal' style of driving "Flooring the Air pedal, but shifting VERY low - around 3-3500 RPMS" seems to be the best way to increase/get good mileage. :)
But wouldn't it be logical to assume most of those rx8 owners also drive for fun?

You get decent mileage based on how you describe your driving habits.

I used to own a '98 Mustang GT 5.0/ 5 speed that was advertised at 25 mpg, when I drove "for fun" would get under 20. You could steer it with the gas pedal. But it would also do 70 at about 1700 rpm and I got easily get 27 or 28 on long trips.

You get decent mileage based on how you describe your driving habits.

It's my 'normal' driving which SAVES me from 12-15mpg I think...the occasional (like, twice a day?) WOT until I get the shift Light hasn't seemed to had too bad an effect.

I used to own a '98 Mustang GT 5.0/ 5 speed that was advertised at 25 mpg, when I drove "for fun" would get under 20. You could steer it with the gas pedal. But it would also do 70 at about 1700 rpm and I got easily get 27 or 28 on long trips.

My car? 70mph = 3600 rpms :(

It's my 'normal' driving which SAVES me from 12-15mpg I think...the occasional (like, twice a day?) WOT until I get the shift Light hasn't seemed to had too bad an effect.

D have you ever taken your car and driven it 350 or so miles @ 65 mph and recorded the MPG? I've noticed that start-ups hurt my mileage the most. If I only drive to and from work vs. to and from work plus going out to lunch there is a noticeable MPG difference.

D have you ever taken your car and driven it 350 or so miles @ 65 mph and recorded the MPG? I've noticed that start-ups hurt my mileage the most. If I only drive to and from work vs. to and from work plus going out to lunch there is a noticeable MPG difference.

350 miles? That'd require more than a tank-full of gas. On a cruise - about 270 miles - for a weekend getaway, I recorded my best mpg of 20.9.

I've never driven a rotary, so I can't comment on 3500 rpm being too "busy" or not. The Mustang was a 4.6L OHC V8 with gobs of torque. It was very easy to tool around at 1000 rpm without lugging the motor. I think red line was something like 6000 or so.

I'd love to get one of the new ones, as the chassis has been updated (the '98 chassis was from the late 70's!), plus the GT has gone from 225 HP to 290 or so.

I'm sure that it is a very different experience than your RX8. Is it RWD IRS?

I've never driven a rotary, so I can't comment on 3500 rpm being too "busy" or not. The Mustang was a 4.6L OHC V8 with gobs of torque. It was very easy to tool around at 1000 rpm without lugging the motor. I think red line was something like 6000 or so.

I'd love to get one of the new ones, as the chassis has been updated (the '98 chassis was from the late 70's!), plus the GT has gone from 225 HP to 290 or so.

I'm sure that it is a very different experience than your RX8. Is it RWD IRS?

In order to make usable power, the gearing is fairly short. Even then I have to keep the engine on the boil to take advantage of the low torque/short gears. :(

yeah - rear wheel drive, independant rear suspension.

350 miles? That'd require more than a tank-full of gas. On a cruise - about 270 miles - for a weekend getaway, I recorded my best mpg of 20.9.
What speed? 270 straight with no breaks? No stop-n-go traffic?

Forum List

Back