Your First Horror Film

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
What was the first horror film you remember seeing?

How old were you?

What effect did it have on you?

Mine was King Kong (1933). RKO released it to TV in 1957, when I was four-years-old. The parents debated whether to let me watch it, but acquiesced after much begging.

I loved it, and after that my Dad took me to every horror film HE wanted to see, including some Mom would have vetoed. :113:

The first horror film I saw in the theaters was The Omen. I was 15 years old. My mother was kind enough to vouch for my friend and I (who was also 15) because it was rated R. And she didn't see it herself! You had to do that back then, have your parent say it was OK. I remember the film scared both my friend and I. And we walked back to the apartment my family was living in after the movie, in the dark part of the way. The first horror film I remember seeing on television was Harvest Home, a two-part TV movie, I believe in 1974. I believe our whole family watched it, even my mother, because she really liked the book by Tom Tryon. It really wasn't that horrific until the last 30 minutes or so. It had a chilling and shocking ending. The ending DID scare me, I was probably 13 at the time.

The first R rated was Alien when I was about 12. The creature was unstoppable, the crew isolated and helpless, and the suspense scenes were well played out.
To add, at that age seeing Sigorny Weaver in her undies was more than memorable.
:hitit:

The first horror movie that really got me was 'Psycho' I saw it in a nearly empty all-night movie theatre at 2am when I was age 12.

How old were you?

Mine was King Kong (1933). RKO released it to TV in 1957, when I was four-years-old. The parents debated whether to let me watch it, but acquiesced after much begging.

I loved it, and after that my Dad took me to every horror film HE wanted to see, including some Mom would have vetoed.
Tough one but the first one I remember seeing was Frankenstein, left quite an impression on me, [one that has stayed with me my entire life]...Not sure of the year but I remember it was black and white with rabbit ears on the TV in Garfield NJ [so it was between 1962 and 1964]...for years I was hooked on horror films...
I'm now a comedy film fan but still like things like Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein...have it recorded as a matter of fact

Carrie. I watched it on TV when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. It upset me so much I would have dreams at night where I changed the ending.

The first horror movie that really got me was 'Psycho' I saw it in a nearly empty all-night movie theatre at 2am when I was age 12.
THAT must have been scary! I finally saw Psycho, late at night, at home, and I watched it by myself. I believe I was 17 at the time. It scared the heck out of me. But I loved it.

The first horror film I saw in the theaters was The Omen. I was 15 years old. My mother was kind enough to vouch for my friend and I (who was also 15) because it was rated R. And she didn't see it herself! You had to do that back then, have your parent say it was OK. I remember the film scared both my friend and I. And we walked back to the apartment my family was living in after the movie, in the dark part of the way. The first horror film I remember seeing on television was Harvest Home, a two-part TV movie, I believe in 1974. I believe our whole family watched it, even my mother, because she really liked the book by Tom Tryon. It really wasn't that horrific until the last 30 minutes or so. It had a chilling and shocking ending. The ending DID scare me, I was probably 13 at the time.
I looked up Harvest Home, the TV movie, it wasn't shown until 1978. It's weird that I remember it as four years earlier. I think this may be because my mother was most likely reading the book in '73 or '74, and she told me how much she liked it. I think I read the book before the TV movie, but I'm not sure.

How old were you?

I loved it, and after that my Dad took me to every horror film HE wanted to see, including some Mom would have vetoed. :113:

Jaws.... saw it when it came out at the drive in..... in 1972. I was about 5 and was on the top of my stepfathers car roof , watching it wrapped in a blanket... hearing everything over all those old metal box speakers they used to hang in the car window.... it was pretty damn terrifying at the time.

th

*****SCARY SMILE*****

:)

My first was a film named Sometimes They Come Back. I don't remember how old I was. I am guessing around 14, but don't hold me to that. If you are wondering if horror films scare me, they don't. They are not my most favorite kind of films, but no, they don't give me nightmares or anything like that.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Friday the 13th. Probably 9 or 10. Been addicted to horror ever since.
Probably why I have such a morbid curiosity and watch videos on sites like best gore dot com lol

How old were you?

The first one I ever saw was the exorcist. Didn't really effect me.

The first one that actually scared me was the shining, when I was a young teen.

How old were you?

Jaws.... saw it when it came out at the drive in..... in 1972. I was about 5 and was on the top of my stepfathers car roof , watching it wrapped in a blanket... hearing everything over all those old metal box speakers they used to hang in the car window.... it was pretty damn terrifying at the time.
Jaws was another one I hated when I was a kid..that music still gets me.

Forum List

Back