Your Favorite

Terry

Shut the $%$ Up!
Jan 15, 2009
Fast food?

Mine....is this:

300740-Taco-Salad.jpg

On a more serious note. My 20 year old son is 5ft 4inches, he only weighs 98 lbs and wants to get up to 115 pounds at least. He has for months been using that stuff weight trainers use. You know that yucky stuff you mix. He eats constantly too. I buy him the big containers of peanuts so he can munch on those while at work.

He also has been doing push-ups and free weights but my gosh the boy cannot gain a pound. Any suggestions?

I increased his diet to include beans, whole grains about 5 months ago. NOTHING!

On a more serious note. My 20 year old son is 5ft 4inches, he only weighs 98 lbs and wants to get up to 115 pounds at least. He has for months been using that stuff weight trainers use. You know that yucky stuff you mix. He eats constantly too. I buy him the big containers of peanuts so he can munch on those while at work.

He also has been doing push-ups and free weights but my gosh the boy cannot gain a pound. Any suggestions?

I increased his diet to include beans, whole grains about 5 months ago. NOTHING!

Add Bacon in everything. :eusa_drool:

Serious?

Serious?

Very.

No, but in all seriousness.. make him eat foods that are high in protein.. Like steaks.

Steaks, eggs, whole grain, nuts, beans, banana's are all what he has increased.

I'm very thin too so it is probably genetics here. When he was young he had to take growth hormone shots because he wasn't producing enough growth hormone. He is proportioned so he isn't a dwarf or even has that in the gene.

I never could gain weight either when I tried. I just thought there might be something else out that that someone knows that works.

Well I play Junior Hockey and workout at the rink each day except Saturdays. So i eat pretty much anything i want without the consequences..

Maybe it is Genetic.. But keep feeding him Proteins and maybe something will change..

Grouse is probably the fastest food I eat.

I tried White Castle and it went thru me the fastest.
I have never heard of Grouse! I can tell you if we could buy a franchise it would be White Castle but they won't let anyone buy one now.

First, knock off the peanuts. At some point he's going to gain.

The best sources of protein are canned tuna (albacore in water) and chicken breasts. Beef worked best for me. He needs protein and carbs, not fat and peanuts are high in fat.

Scratch the pushups. Bodybuilding will put on the most muscle mass. Pushups are aerobic. Bodybuilding is anaerobic. Aerobics are detrimental to building muscle mass.

The best sources of protein are canned tuna (albacore in water) and chicken breasts. Beef worked best for me. He needs protein and carbs, not fat and peanuts are high in fat.

Scratch the pushups. Bodybuilding will put on the most muscle mass. Pushups are aerobic. Bodybuilding is anaerobic. Aerobics are detrimental to building muscle mass.
OH wow, Thank you Gunny!!!!!!!!!

So just keep doing his free weights?

I'm not a chicken person at all. All the fast food places around me are about 10 to 18 miles away, so I don't get to eat it much. We don't even have any pizza delivery where I live :(

There's a difference. What's he doing with them? You can powerlift, weightlift, and bodybuild. The first two will make you stronger and somewhat bigger, but not necessarily put on a lot of muscle mass. Bodybuilding, which centers around 8-15 reps per set and 3 sets of two different exercises per bodypart twice a week will put on the most mass.

If he's taking the bodybuilding products, a generic can of milk and egg protein worked better for may than ANY of the designer, brand name products that cost 3 times as much. That, and a whole round steak for supper every night.

Naturally, genetics come into play, but I was pretty skinny when I started out. He just has to try it out and see what works best for him.

I'm not a chicken person at all. All the fast food places around me are about 10 to 18 miles away, so I don't get to eat it much. We don't even have any pizza delivery where I live :(

I don't like bird at all. I ate an entire can of the aforementioned tuna for lunch every day and the round steak for supper.

There's a difference. What's he doing with them? You can powerlift, weightlift, and bodybuild. The first two will make you stronger and somewhat bigger, but not necessarily put on a lot of muscle mass. Bodybuilding, which centers around 8-15 reps per set and 3 sets of two different exercises per bodypart twice a week will put on the most mass.

If he's taking the bodybuilding products, a generic can of milk and egg protein worked better for may than ANY of the designer, brand name products that cost 3 times as much. That, and a whole round steak for supper every night.

Naturally, genetics come into play, but I was pretty skinny when I started out. He just has to try it out and see what works best for him.
I'm not smart on weight lifting. All I know is he has a set of weights in his room, a high bar, and sit up bar. I do know that product we bought was very expensive. We bought 3 of them and stopped. He eats non stop but cannot gain weight. He is trying to join the military but they won't even look at him until he can gain that weight. He has been trying for a year or more.

Him working isn't helping either because his hours are so screwy. They'll have him working from 3pm til 2 am, and have him come back at 7 am. This doesn't help to keep his routine going. I know this has hampered his efforts a little.

Hard to believe you were once Skinny! I'll have him read this thread so he can see for himself from an expert on what to do. Sometimes as kids always do, they think MOMMY doesn't know...RIGHT MICHAEL? (put that there cause when he reads it.) lol

Forum List

Back