Your favorite Tom Cruise movies.

Cruise's last two really good films in which he was the star were Jerry Maguire and The Last Samurai. Add to those two Rain Man, Far and Away, and A Few Good Men and you have his five best films to date. You could make an argument for Risky Business being on the list, it is always a good watch.

If you've never seen Taps, he turned in a good performance, but wasn't the star.

As for cameos, who can forget his brilliant turn as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder?

Generally speaking, however, I do not seek out a Tom Cruise film these days. He seems to have chosen money over substance when it comes to his projects. He could have had both, in my opinion, but I guess it's easier to run through a movie than act. Add to that his ties to that reprehensible, disturbing cult known as Scientology, and I just don't care for his shit.

Come to think of it, he probably chose the money over substance so he could pay that scumbag David Miscavige...

You ever see Bill Hader's impression of him ? He even makes himself look like him- pretty crazy.

Old funny bit! I Had trouble on who Hader was. Cruise is definitely a strange guy, especially the Scientology thing. He is OK, if looking for an action figure in a movie and is competent at what he does. Not sure if he would meet expectations on "substance" much more than Nicolas Cage, although cruise has landed a lot more steady stream of his action figure type movies, that were well received than cage trying to be a deep thinker introspective wannabe type movies.

Edge of Tomorrow and The Last Samurai are probably my favorite 2 of Cruise. Both are excellent, rewatchable movies. Interview With The Vampire was good, even if he didn't strike me as having the right look for Lestat.

Cruise peaked with the movie Top Gun and has been sliding ever since. The 2012 movie "Rock of Ages" is on the top ten list of the worst movie ever made.

Edge of Tomorrow and The Last Samurai are probably my favorite 2 of Cruise. Both are excellent, rewatchable movies. Interview With The Vampire was good, even if he didn't strike me as having the right look for Lestat.
The Last Samurai was very good. I didn’t think I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised. Interview with a Vampire is another good one. Haven’t seen Edge of Tomorrow. Might have to look into that one.

The Last Samurai was very good. I didn’t think I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised. Interview with a Vampire is another good one. Haven’t seen Edge of Tomorrow. Might have to look into that one.

Edge of Tomorrow is a sci-fi action type movie. If you like that sort of thing you might enjoy it. :)

Yeah, he's a scientology nut and everything, but I think he's a pretty good actor and film producer. Thomas Cruise Mapother IV...

He's been in close to 50 films, starring in most of them. I've liked him since The Outsiders and Risky Business, then Top Gun was his leap into superstardom .But haven't seen many of his recent ones, to be honest. So my top 5 are fairly old school ;
Rainman
The Color of Money
A Few Good Men
Knight and Day
Mission Impossible

:up:

Here he is giving a speech at the white house
He'd forgotten his lift shoes.
podium.png

Ugh.... started out with strong promise to be one of the greats.
But his monumental ego got in the way and all he wanted to do was rerun "super man" roles.

90% of ALL Tom Cruise films can be accurately described with the following pattern:
1) Smart alack cracker jack, best of the best at [enter what he does for a living] blow everyone's mind with his skill and confidence.
2) Enter female who plays hard to get, super hot chick no one has a chance with... but Tom's good looks and hot shot skills impresses her and has super hot sex on the first date, and falls madly in love with him.
3) Enter some kind of problem that no one can fix...and they need superman Tom to use his superior skills to accomplish.
4) Tom doesn't want to because he is acting like a baby
5) But Tom comes around and easily solves the huge problem brilliantly and the movie ends.

But his monumental ego got in the way and all he wanted to do was rerun "super man" roles.

90% of ALL Tom Cruise films can be accurately described with the following pattern:
1) Smart alack cracker jack, best of the best at [enter what he does for a living] blow everyone's mind with his skill and confidence.
2) Enter female who plays hard to get, super hot chick no one has a chance with... but Tom's good looks and hot shot skills impresses her and has super hot sex on the first date, and falls madly in love with him.
3) Enter some kind of problem that no one can fix...and they need superman Tom to use his superior skills to accomplish.
5) But Tom comes around and easily solves the huge problem brilliantly and the movie ends.
To remain a viable A lister, actors need to stay relevant and make money in films. So the superman style movies that Cruise does...has some success so he could make other movies if he chooses. Actors make a few movies in a row that flop and they could drop off the radar.

Edge of Tomorrow is a sci-fi action type movie. If you like that sort of thing you might enjoy it. :)
I’ve seen War of The Worlds and I liked that....so I will probably enjoy it.

To remain a viable A lister, actors need to stay relevant and make money in films. So the superman style movies that Cruise does...has some success so he could make other movies if he chooses. Actors make a few movies in a row that flop and they could drop off the radar.
Haha... that is not what Tom Ego did.... nearly ALL of his films fit the same pattern I listed. There might be only 2 or 3 at most that don't.
Take Born on the 4th of July... magnificent job. That movie alone showed he has what it takes to be in the elite few... but he isn't even close. All due to only wanting to do films where he could play the big hero that gets the girl. Most are terrible movies. Entertaining maybe...but forgotten in a single generation. Less really

Haha... that is not what Tom Ego did.... nearly ALL of his films fit the same pattern I listed. There might be only 2 or 3 at most that don't.
Take Born on the 4th of July... magnificent job. That movie alone showed he has what it takes to be in the elite few... but he isn't even close. All due to only wanting to do films where he could play the big hero that gets the girl. Most are terrible movies. Entertaining maybe...but forgotten in a single generation. Less really
There are several actors that play the same character in every movie a few examples out of many...

Kevin Costner
Robert Downey Jr
Tessa Thompson

There are several actors that play the same character in every movie a few examples out of many...

Kevin Costner
Robert Downey Jr
Tessa Thompson
I agree, but at least the movies themselves are different.
Take Clint Eastwood... across his entire career, almost every movie was the same guy really. Same guy but in completely different stories. Who would say that Bridges of Madison County and Gran Torino are the same story? Or that either of those are like Mule?
My point, is that Tom Cruise is the same guy... same plot... same beginning/middle/end... it is the same damn story with only topographical changes. One he is a hot shot jet pilot [enter movie pattern] the next a hot shot nascar driver [enter movie pattern] the next hot shot detective.... enter movie pattern.
He is capable of great films... like I say Born on the 4th July... Collateral was actually quite good.
All I am saying he is capable of greatness... but is instead ridiculed and considered a joke for both his ridiculous ego off stage and the pattern movies.

Forum List

Back