Your favorite moral lesson from the Bible

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Matthew 5 NIV - Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount - Bible Gateway

I think people need to remember these passages the next time the subject of war comes up, or in terms of our current wars.

And on a smaller scope, how you treat ppl, even if you don't like how they treat you. The old "kill them with kindness" train of thought.

There is one I'm particularly fond of and which shows Jesus' sarcastic side. The Pharisees and the Saducees would be like say, the Baptists and Evangelicals today. Very involved in politics, used religion as a power base etc... But they were always bickering over who was doing religion right. The only thing they agreed on was that the one group that was to be despised because of their religion, was the Samaritans. They would have been the equivalent of Muslims in The South nowadays.
Thus the Parable of the Good Samaritan is my favorite. The people of the "right" religion justified turning their backs on their fellow man and even used religion to do so. The Samaritan did the right thing.
A thinly veiled "in your face!" to both the self-righteous groups. Mondo coolio. Plus the lesson is a great one.

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

I think people need to remember these passages the next time the subject of war comes up, or in terms of our current wars.

And on a smaller scope, how you treat ppl, even if you don't like how they treat you. The old "kill them with kindness" train of thought.

Thought you were a Christian.

That's OT thinking, lad.

Eye for Eye

Love for Enemies

That's OT thinking, lad.

Oh no I'm not a christian, I don't believe in any god, I'm not sure if Jesus even ever existed and I certainly don't believe in the miracles he performed.

However there are some great moral lessons in the New Testament, the ones I provided for example.

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword. Joshua 6:21

"So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded. And Joshua smote them from Kadesh-barnea even unto Gaza, and all the country of Goshen, even unto Gibeon." Joshua 10:40-41

Good stuff from a self-professed religion of peace..or is it pieces.

Eye for Eye

Love for Enemies

That's OT thinking, lad.

Oh no I'm not a christian, I don't believe in any god, I'm not sure if Jesus even ever existed and I certainly don't believe in the miracles he performed.

However there are some great moral lessons in the New Testament, the ones I provided for example.

Oh yeah, I see.

My error.

Apologies. Dr.D.

Favorite moral lesson in the bible?

Ohh probably the one where God ordered the jews to kill all who did not flee before them in Jericho. Including women and children and even animals I think as well.

I agree there's a lot of horrifying immoral stuff in the OT, respectfully though that's for another thread.

Do you realize that was the way things were done back in the day's of the OT and that was done by every empire there were no peaceful empires.

God had the right to take what belongs to him if his enemies would have simply left when the warning was given they would have been spared.

God also warned at times to not spill innocent blood or it would have been held against he who spilt innocent blood..

Last edited:

Ohh probably the one where God ordered the jews to kill all who did not flee before them in Jericho. Including women and children and even animals I think as well.

Do you realize that was the way things were done back in the day's of the OT and the was by every empire there were no peaceful empires.

God had the right to take what belongs to him if his enemies would have simply left when the warning was given they would have been spared.

God also warned at times to not spill innocent blood or it would have been held against he who spilt innocent blood..

Deu 19:10 so that innocent blood may not be shed in your land which Jehovah your God gives you for an inheritance, and blood may not be on you.

I agree there's a lot of horrifying immoral stuff in the OT, respectfully though that's for another thread.

Do you realize that was the way things were done back in the day's of the OT and the was by every empire there were no peaceful empires.

There's no excuse for Holy War genocide, I don't care when it happened. It's always immoral.

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

And

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

:eusa_eh:

There's no excuse for Holy War genocide, I don't care when it happened. It's always immoral.

Thats how war was fought for many years. There was a reason for God to do it because he judged the ones being put to death man does not have the ability to see in to ones heart as God does.

God is no part of the wars we see now these are mans wars. There is only one more war God will be apart of and that will put an end to all war.

Since you see it as immoral do you believe it is ok for the United States and other countries to go to war with countries commiting genocide ?

Since you see it as immoral do you believe it is ok for the United States and other countries to go to war with countries commiting genocide ?

Genocide no, genocide is when you kill everyone in a town, men, women, children, babies, etc. Kinda like the story in your Bible, or when Hitler did it, or in Rwanda. If you believe the story in the Bible, all these situations are similar.

Using the excuse "God knew what were in all the kids and babies hearts so he murdered them all" is pretty revolting.

Genocide no, genocide is when you kill everyone in a town, men, women, children, babies, etc. Kinda like the story in your Bible, or when Hitler did it, or in Rwanda. If you believe the story in the Bible, all these situations are similar.

Using the excuse "God knew what were in all the kids and babies hearts so he murdered them all" is pretty revolting.

It don't matter really what you think.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on Him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day.

1Jn 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God. And everyone who loves Him who begets also loves him who has been born of Him.

Not good for those who deny him.

Mat 10:33 But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in Heaven.

It don't matter really what you think.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on Him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day.

1Jn 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God. And everyone who loves Him who begets also loves him who has been born of Him.

Not good for those who deny him.

Mat 10:33 But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in Heaven.

You asked me a question, I answer it, and you tell me it doesn't matter what I think?

I can tell you must be the king of manners in the real world.

Lately I seem to be pulled back into Genesis and the stories of the earliest patriarchs of the Old Testament. The story that is most often used by advocates of government 'benevolence' is in the story of Cain and Abel based on this verse shortly after Cain murdered Abel:

Genesis 4:9 - Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

In my opinion most people incorrectly interpret this to mean that the 'evil' Cain was shrugging off any responsibility for Abel with the moral lesson that we are obligated to care about and care for others.

I believe that is not what he was saying at all.

The moral lesson to be had here is that in Old Testament language, the word for 'keeper' in the ancient Hebrew implied ownership and responsibility for good stewardship. In this case it would apply to the sheep and goats in their father's flocks. To imply that Cain was the 'keeper' of Abel would imply that Abel was a slave or subserviant to Cain. Cain was actually saying that Abel was his own man, fully capable of being responsible for himself.

The moral lesson is when we see ourselves as the 'keeper' we are subjugating people to second class, inferior, incapable, or victim status and that is wrong.

Too often government does exactly that.
i disagree....mainly because of what you think ''keeper'' means....

Lately I seem to be pulled back into Genesis and the stories of the earliest patriarchs of the Old Testament. The story that is most often used by advocates of government 'benevolence' is in the story of Cain and Abel based on this verse shortly after Cain murdered Abel:

Genesis 4:9 - Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

In my opinion most people incorrectly interpret this to mean that the 'evil' Cain was shrugging off any responsibility for Abel with the moral lesson that we are obligated to care about and care for others.

I believe that is not what he was saying at all.

The moral lesson to be had here is that in Old Testament language, the word for 'keeper' in the ancient Hebrew implied ownership and responsibility for good stewardship. In this case it would apply to the sheep and goats in their father's flocks. To imply that Cain was the 'keeper' of Abel would imply that Abel was a slave or subserviant to Cain. Cain was actually saying that Abel was his own man, fully capable of being responsible for himself.

The moral lesson is when we see ourselves as the 'keeper' we are subjugating people to second class, inferior, incapable, or victim status and that is wrong.

Too often government does exactly that.
i disagree....mainly because of what you think ''keeper'' means....

:eusa_eh:

Finders= Keepers?
Losers = Weepers?

BTW: Every time Lucy Loveless appears nude in Spartacus, I think of Care4all.:redface:

lucy-lawless-spartacus-blood-and-sand-blonde.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite passages:

Luke 7 (New International Version)

Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman

36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. 38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. 39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”
40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”
“Tell me, teacher,” he said.
41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[c] and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”
43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”
“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.
44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”
50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

And the parable of the sheep and the goats is my other one....i'll get it to post in a minute....

The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Forum List

Back