10 Commandments

Animal House

Jaws

Godfather 1 + 2

Star Wars original 3

the Exorcist

Goodfellas

^^^round out my top 10.

Halliday Brand- I could not pull up a video on it. It's not your usual western. It's a rather depressing story in Black and White. It is an all-around well-done movie with some fine acting. Viveca LinsFord is the lead actress I am not familiar with her work but she does fine as well as the others. It's not a movie for everyone but a well-done classic. I recommend it.

Halliday Brand- I could not pull up a video on it. It's not your usual western. It's a rather depressing story in Black and White. It is an all-around well-done movie with some fine acting. Viveca LinsFord is the lead actress I am not familiar with her work but she does fine as well as the others. It's not a movie for everyone but a well-done classic. I recommend it.
I vaguely remember it. I think it was a 50s movie with Joseph Cotton. It seems like it was a good movie, but I don't remember it well enough to discuss it.

One excellent movie I've never seen mentioned on these boards.

Out of the Past (billed in the United Kingdom as Build My Gallows High) is a 1947 film noir directed by Jacques Tourneur and starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, and Kirk Douglas. The film was adapted by Daniel Mainwaring (using the pseudonym Geoffrey Homes) from his 1946 novel Build My Gallows High (also written as Homes),[1] with uncredited revisions by Frank Fenton and James M. Cain.[2]

Its complex, fatalistic storyline, dark cinematography, and classic femme fatale garnered the film critical acclaim and cult status.[1] In 1991, the National Film Preservation Board at the Library of Congress added Out of the Past to the United States National Film Registry of “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” films.[3][4][5]

''''

Adaptations​

Out of the Past was remade as Against All Odds (1984) with Rachel Ward in the Greer role, Jeff Bridges filling in for Mitchum, and James Woods as a variation of Kirk Douglas' villain, with Jane Greer as the mother of her original character in Out of the Past and Richard Widmark in a supporting role.

The man who could work miracles

Hobson's choice
I can't say enough about Hobson's choice. It is absolutely delightful Charles Laughton is very funny. John Mills delivers an excellent performance as does Brenda De Banzie. David Lean's cinematography and timing has establishes him as a great director who will go on to delivery some of the best films of the 20th Century, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, and Passage to India.
Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 92%/91%
It is available on Paramount+ and HBO Max.

Hobson's choice
I can't say enough about Hobson's choice. Charles Laughton is very funny. John Mills delivery's an excellent performance as does Brenda De Banzie. David Lean's cinematography and timing establishes him as a great director who will go on to delivery some of best films of the 20th Century, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.

I can't say enough about Hobson's choice. It is absolutely delightful Charles Laughton is very funny. John Mills delivers an excellent performance as does Brenda De Banzie. David Lean's cinematography and timing has establishes him as a great director who will go on to delivery some of the best films of the 20th Century, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, and Passage to India.
Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 92%/91%
It is available on Paramount+ and HBO Max.

Passage to India was very good.

Beautifully acted.

This was another good one. Based on a novel. Edward Norton always puts in a competent performance.

It would take me too long, and I would miss too many if I attempted to make a list.
There are great theatrical ones like Ben Hur, and then great simple ones like Marty!
Bonnie and I fairly often will pick a couple movies out of a decade. Like "1950s night" etc.
I probably enjoy those nights better than watching modern movies.

It would take me too long, and I would miss too many if I attempted to make a list.
There are great theatrical ones like Ben Hur, and then great simple ones like Marty!
Bonnie and I fairly often will pick a couple movies out of a decade. Like "1950s night" etc.
I probably enjoy those nights better than watching modern movies.
Marty is one of my favorite movies as well. Earnest Borgnine was an actor who could play comedy or a nasty bad guy gangster or out law and in this romantic drama. His type of actor is not found too much these days. marty movie 1955 - Bing video

Hobson's choice
I can't say enough about Hobson's Choice. Charles Laughton is very funny. John Mills delivered an excellent performance as did Brenda De Banzie. David Lean's cinematography and timing established him as a great director who would go on to delivery some of the best films of the 20th Century, such as Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Passage to India......

Marty is one of my favorite movies as well. Earnest Borgnine was an actor who could play comedy or a nasty bad guy gangster or out law and in this romantic drama. His type of actor is not found too much these days. marty movie 1955 - Bing video
You just don't see dramatic movies like Marty very often these days. So much of our drama is about huge events, invaders from outer space, demons from the underworld, an apocalypse, murders, wars, terrorism, family disasters, and beautiful people in a fairytale romance.

Marty is a movie about two middle age lonely people seeking a lasting relationship in the 1950s in the Bronx. There is no violence, no sex, no car crashes, and no one dies. It is such a common story, and so uneventful, it's a miracle that the movie ever got made. However, with the skillful direction of Delbert Mann, a screenplay by Paddy Chayefsky, and perfect castling of Marty and Clara, the movie is so real, the audience feels that this could be their story. It is the kind of movie that just makes you feel really good and there are not that
many movies like that these days.

The script is full of great lines. Here is a good example from the end of movie. Marty is talking to his friend Angie about Clara:
"You don't like her. My mother don't like her. She's a dog and I'm a fat, ugly man. Well, all I know is I had a good time last night. I'm gonna have a good time tonight. If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees and I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me."

Last edited:
The Searchers.

That one and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are nearly the only two of his I ever care about seeing over again. I will also watch the one with Dean Martin in it. The latter two I like for the other actors in them.

Forum List

Back