Dial M for Murder - 1954
The Picture of Dorian Gray - 1945
M - 1931
Nosferatu - 1922
The Wolf Man - 1941
The Mummy - 1932
Notorious - 1946
Spellbound - 1945

Rather than waste your time creating a long list of movies you like, why not tell us what you liked about one of them. To be brutally honest, no one is really interested in a list of your favorite movies.

who's afraid of virgina wolf
Not a very pleasant movie but one of the best screen plays of the century. On the surface the movie seems to be nothing more than a couple's endless bickering and fighting but there is more to it than that. There's lot of food for thought here.

Last edited:
Just finished The Third Man. I haven't seen it for years. This version is colorized which I think makes the movie better. I have seen the B&W Version and it made the look of the film dreary.

The full movie as much as they could restore it. There are other silent movies I like. Metropolis is a real classic. I am glad there are those who preserve films.

Just finished The Third Man. I haven't seen it for years. This version is colorized which I think makes the movie better. I have seen the B&W Version and it made the look of the film dreary.

I disagree. B&W is the right choice for the film and director Carol Reed agrees. The atmospheric use of black-and-white expressionist cinematograph, with harsh lighting and largely subtle camera tilt techniques, is a major feature of The Third Man. Combined with the iconic theme music of the zither, and seedy locations it creates the perfect atmosphere of an exhausted, cynical post-war Vienna at the start of the Cold War; and yes it is dreary which why it is B&W.

The street scene where police have set a trap for Harry and the final scene lose their impact in color. The final scene with Holly leaning on a cart watching Anna waking past him framed by rows of black tree trucks, a grey sky and fog in the background is one most famous stills from the movie history.

The film won an academy award for best cinematography. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 99%. Robert Ebert said, ""Of all the movies that I have ever seen, this one most completely embodies the romance of going to the movies"

Forum List

Back