The Thin Man--Powel and Loy

Scarlett Street--Robinson and Duryea

Yankee Doodle Dandy--Cagney

Lemon Drop Kid (favorite Christmas movie--Hope

Arsenic and Old Lace (favorite Halloween movie)--Grant

Angels in the Outfield--Paul Douglas/Janet Leigh

Harvey--Jimmy Stewart

Last edited:
Lawrence of Arabia. Godfather. Longest Day. those are some of my favorite old classics.
I think you need to define what you call a classic movie. My grandkids consider anything older than they are as classic. I consider classic movies as movies before 1970.

Lawrence of Arabia. Godfather. Longest Day. those are some of my favorite old classics.
Like them all. I would add the rest of David Leans masterpieces, Dr. Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai, Ryan's Daughter, A Passage to India, Hobson's Choice, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.

Prior to 1955, you're going to lose a lot of people. Generally movies made before people were born are not going to be their favorites. I'm the exception I like them all way back to silent movies.

Last edited:
This was called "An Episode of Sparrows" but became "innocent Sinners" for the US market.

Delightful!!!

Greg

If The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones is considered a classic, that is one of my favorite films. :) :) :)

God bless you and Harrison and Tommy Lee always!!!

Holly

I have a lot of favorite films, but I don't know what is considered a classic.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Any movie made before you were born. However, most consider moves before 1970 as being classic but classic is not just about age. Movies that transcended time and trends, with indefinable quality are typically considered a classic.

Last edited:
Casablanca, it's almost a cliche but it still resonates. On the Beach, a doomsday movie that made sense even in B&W without any special effects. To Have and Have Not, I just like vintage Bogie.

Born Free
Thomasina
All Doris Day movies
All Charlie Chan movies
All Ma and Pa Kettle movies
All Blondie movies
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Victor Victoria
Thuroughly Modern Millie
Mame (Lucille Ball)
All the Thin Man series
Mildred Pierce
Pandoras Box (silent movie)
Joan of Arc (silent movie)
Metropolis (silent movie)
Some Like It Hot
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Do these count as "classic" yet?

Galaxy Quest
The Santa Clause (Tim Allen)
Amadeus
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Ferris Beuller
Big Trouble in Little China
Overboard (Russel and Hawn)
Bless the Beasts and the Children

Why are you interested in what classic movies I like? I mean what's the point in having lists of hundreds of movies from people you don't even know. I can understand if you want to know why people like a movie, where it can streamed, or you want to discuss the movies, etc but just list after list of movies, what's the point it?

However, since you asked, all Bogart Movies, Movies with Sidney Greenstreet, Greta Garbo, Carol Lombard, Gregory Peck, Ginger Rogers, Greer Garson, Barbara Stanwyck, Charles Laughton, John Wayne, Barbra Streisand, Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, Harrison Ford, and movies directed or written by Preston Sturges, Orson Welles or Carl Reiner.

Forum List

Back