You know what's hard? Picking a party.

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
There are really only two viable parties here. There are still a few token others, like the CPUSA and the Greens, but they're pretty much irrelevant and just let the real ones fight their battles for them. I've been trying to pick one or the other for a while. The problem, though, is that they're more or less evenly split on the few issues I care about.

The GOP is against abortion, but they're for capital punishment. The Democrats are for amnesty for refugees of the drug wars, but they're pretty much for letting in anyone and everyone anyway. The GOP is about making your wealth through hard work and drive, but only because so many of them more or less worship Ayn Rand. The Democrats are for leveling the economic playing field, but only if wealth redistribution and discrimination is used to do it. The GOP talks so much about ensuring this nation's future, but they can't really do that when they set themselves up against science. The Democrats talk about as much about the same thing, but they can't really do that when they set everyone against each other through divisive identity politics. The GOP wants to reserve civil rights - like voting - for citizens, but then they approve of violating citizens' civil rights on the basis of things like race and religion. The Democrats oppose those excesses, but only because they want non-citizens to have the vote too since they're growing increasingly reliant on the votes of illegal immigrants, felons, and dead people to win elections. The GOP jailed my home state's last Democratic governor on transparently false charges and burned down the home of the lawyer who tried to investigate. The Democrats have this odd problem of appointing and being supported by people with awesome backgrounds in things like black supremacy and left wing terrorism. The GOP doesn't really seem all that diverse - I don't really see many openings for those who aren't rich white Christians. The Democrats love all diversity except diversity of opinion - gay, Latino, black, whatever, so long as you have the right opinions and nothing but the right opinions.

How did you pick your party? Why did you pick either one at all?

Last edited:
There are really only two viable parties here. There are still a few token others, like the CPUSA and the Greens, but they're pretty much irrelevant and just let the real ones fight their battles for them. I've been trying to pick one or the other for a while. The problem, though, is that they're more or less evenly split on the few issues I care about.

The GOP is against abortion, but they're for capital punishment. The Democrats are for amnesty for refugees of the drug wars, but they're pretty much for letting in anyone and everyone anyway. The GOP is about making your wealth through hard work and drive, but only because so many of them more or less worship Ayn Rand. The Democrats are for leveling the economic playing field, but only if wealth redistribution and discrimination is used to do it. The GOP talks so much about ensuring this nation's future, but they can't really do that when they set themselves up against science. The Democrats talk about as much about the same thing, but they can't really do that when they set everyone against each other through divisive identity politics. The GOP wants to reserve civil rights - like voting - for citizens, but then they approve of violating citizens' civil rights on the basis of things like race and religion. The Democrats oppose those excesses, but only because they want non-citizens to have the vote too since they're growing increasingly reliant on the votes of illegal immigrants, felons, and dead people to win elections. The GOP jailed my home state's last Democratic governor on transparently false charges and burned down the home of the lawyer who tried to investigate. The Democrats have this odd problem of appointing and being supported by people with awesome backgrounds in things like black supremacy and left wing terrorism. The GOP doesn't really seem all that diverse - I don't really see many openings for those who aren't rich white Christians. The Democrats love all diversity except diversity of opinion - gay, Latino, black, whatever, so long as you have the right opinions and nothing but the right opinions.

I am not registered with either party and don't vote for either party. I am in a conundrum. I am a Social Conservative but Economic Liberal...neither party represents me.

Don Siegelman. The lawyer was Dana Jill Simpson. A Whistleblower s Tale The Nation can tell the story better than I can.
After leaving the site you posted and looking into it on other sources it seems to me he was pretty corrupt and everyone around him was corrupt and in the end 7 years doesn't seem that bad for someone like him. His convictions were upheld and he pretty much deserved what he got.

It's easier if you abandon simplistic slogans and first determine where YOU stand. For example, if you think any abortion, up to and including delivery, for any reason, should be legal, you should be a Democrat. If you don't, you should be a Republican. If you oppose the death penalty for any crime, including terrorist murder of innocents, you should be a Democrat. If you think the border should be secured before considering the status of illegal immigrants, then you should be a Republican. As far as alleged excesses, check your facts and consider their source.

You know what's hard? Picking a party.

Yes it is, they all suck. I'm a libertarian and the Libertarian part sucks too. That's why I am and will always be an independent. That is until the Republicans stop sucking, then I'll go back. LOL, sorry, amusing myself. The Republicans will never stop sucking...

In America today, you either pick a party, and vote with them, or your vote simply becomes something the GOP and DNC will need to work around to minimize the impact to their results...and one of them will win...so many of us vote for the party that is the least unlike us

I'm pro gun, pro gay marriage/abortion, pro business, and a secular non interventionist. My voting conscience seems most comfortable voting Libertarian, but the party is infested with conservative evangelicals and racist militia types. Furthermore, my vote is wasted that way. Moreover...in California, the Presidential elections have been decided before I get off work to vote, and California will go Hillary anyway.

All this in mind, I'll still vote so I can bitch, in all good conscience with you fine folks.

Maybe someday there will be a viable third party alternative...but countries like Turkey and Greece that have 10 distinct parties, can't get anything done because they lack any form of definitive consensus to act.

Meh........good topic, thanks for the thread....maybe someday.....

Forum List

Back