You have $100,000.00 to invest

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
and the long term, more than a year, capital gains tax is at 15% now yet possibly will double and go back to 30% soon.
The taxes on your investment dollars will DOUBLE with a change in the capital gains tax structure:
1. Will that affect how much $ you invest in America?
2. Will that cause you NOT to put any of your $ as a capital investment?
3. Will the rise in capital gains taxes affect how much $ is invested in America?
4. Will the rise in capital gains taxes SLOW capital investment?
5. How many jobs will be lost with the slow down in investment capital?

and the long term, more than a year, capital gains tax is at 15% now yet possibly will double and go back to 30% soon.
The taxes on your investment dollars will double with a change in the capital gains tax structure:
1. Will that affect how much $ you invest in america?
2. Will that cause you not to put any of your $ as a capital investment?
3. Will the rise in capital gains taxes affect how much $ is invested in america?
4. Will the rise in capital gains taxes slow capital investment?

gold--gold--gold.

The taxes on your investment dollars will double with a change in the capital gains tax structure:
3. Will the rise in capital gains taxes affect how much $ is invested in america?

gold--gold--gold.

I know gold is popular. But how useful is gold when you don't have anything to eat?

The prospect of the tax increase won't affect the amount I invest in America by a single cent. I started accumulating a stock portfolio when the capital gains tax stood at 28% and when the rate was cut down to 15% it didn't cause me to change my investment habits. My only reaction at all to the change a decade ago, was being ticked off about the added complexity when it came to income tax filing, especially back in those days when I was still doing my taxes manually. (Personally, I'm for a single tax rate that covers all income regardless of where it comes from.)

My guess is that those inclined to pursue low cpaital gains taxes will set their sight on real estate where capital gains are treated much more favorably. Just a guess.

Last edited:
I would buy houses, property & gold.

Houses have fallen most & will recover most. Property has also fallen & has fewer taxes & maintenance. Gold has zero tax or maintenance & if you get in a tight spot & have to go bankrupt, they can't take what they can't find. All three are insurance against government default, credit crisis or currency crisis. None of these will become worthless & will increase in value over time.

The taxes on your investment dollars will DOUBLE with a change in the capital gains tax structure:
3. Will the rise in capital gains taxes affect how much $ is invested in America?
I don’t know where you got 30%, but that is not what is proposed. The president's plan would raise the tax rate on capital gains and dividends to 20 percent from 15 for earners over $200,000.
Budget Would Raise Tax Rates on Wealthy, Limit Deductions - WSJ.com

Increasing capital gains tax from 15% to 20% will have little effect on investments. It certainly will not change my plans since my income is less than $200,000.

I doubt a 5% increase will have much effect on job creation. Capital Gains tax has no effect on the tax sheltered retirement plan which account for 16 trillion dollars in investments. Also, more and more investment dollars, both corporate and individual are going abroad.

http://www.thecfdd.com/files/researchtrends/retmrkt_update.pdf

capital gains is one of the most overrated factors in the economy. most income comes by way of employment and profit from sales of inventories - commerce. most investment, particularly that which spurs employment, depreciates rather than appreciates.

people invest in the US for the merits of our economy, not because there's 5-10% less tax on gains than anywhere else.

the OP left out paranoid profittaking for simpletons who see a predictable tax as the bane of their portfolio - great economic input.

Only an idiot would hold US monopoly money or invest in Murka.
5. ? Who cares. You fuckwads worship Walmart.
It was suicide.

gold--gold--gold.

Silver too.

capital gains is one of the most overrated factors in the economy. most income comes by way of employment and profit from sales of inventories - commerce. most investment, particularly that which spurs employment, depreciates rather than appreciates.

people invest in the US for the merits of our economy, not because there's 5-10% less tax on gains than anywhere else.

the OP left out paranoid profittaking for simpletons who see a predictable tax as the bane of their portfolio - great economic input.

Well, people have to work to get income for capital. And most investment does not depreciate. The only depreciation is on the books for tax reasons and that lowers your basis long term. When you sell that basis is the low point and what you sell it for minus the basis is the gain. Equipment and cars and such does depreciate but those get worn out. Capital investing in brick and mortar goes up. I am talking about individual investing by the average American. They do not invest their $ in depreciating assets. Do you?
Capital investing is risk taking. Your risk goes up the higher the capital gains tax. If your risk goes up 25% or 50% then you weigh that into OTHER investments to be made.
The more the risk the less $ goes into the Amercian economy for capital investing because the more risk there is the lower the capital gain.
LOw capital gains taxes spurs growth. Higher capital gains taxes forces people to hold their $ already invested in capital, sends present capital away to lower risk investments and sends more proceeds from the sale of future capital gains to Washington as increased taxes.
Increased capital gains taxes leaves LESS $ in the economy for investing. The higher the tax the more cash goes to Washington and less stays in our pockets for future investing.
Econ 101.

Last edited:
Land. Not in the US though. We (as a family) are investing in a 5 star hotel resort in the Caribbean.
I'm shocked ! The bimbo and the flag had me convinced you worshiped Murca:eek:
" We" seem very intelligent.
I hope the " Caribbean" dealio is not the US of fallen Mpyre's Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico ? If so, you guys are fucking up.

you have confused investment and profittaking. the latter is the target of capital gains tax, their being income and all.

certainly what you've just stated is not econ 101.

if monies were earmarked for 'future investing', an investor concerned about paying on his gains would simply invest them right then. there's no tax on that.

your presumption that the economic activity from profittaking is superior to that of the government's expenditure is not econ 101, but a conjecture of your own making. can you support that? econ 101 explores the woes of hoarding in an economy, can you preclude uninvested profits from this characterization?

lastly, one is hard pressed to draw a correlation between capital gains tax cuts and an increase in investment. there is only an increase in profittaking, in fact, converse to investment, buddy.

as for me, i invest in depreciable assets often for the tax shelter and the function of my business. i invest in inventory habitually. that's not for everyone, but with respect to economic input, commerce is superior to capital gains-derived profit.

i feel there's an inevitable onus to increase government revenues and reduce expenditure. the burden of this austerity is best to avoid superior economic inputs like commerce, rather falling on shit like capital gains. the 5-10 points slated for that does not present the barrier to investment you've claimed it to. you really mean to say capital investors will restructure their living over that? was there no prosperity before 1994 or 2003?

Land. Not in the US though. We (as a family) are investing in a 5 star hotel resort in the Caribbean.
I'm shocked ! The bimbo and the flag had me convinced you worshiped Murca:eek:
" We" seem very intelligent.
I hope the " Caribbean" dealio is not the US of fallen Mpyre's Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico ? If so, you guys are fucking up.

or the BVI, T&C, the NA, aruba, belize, bahamas, barbados... if you are like chicken little over the dollar, the caribbean is not the place to hide.

land values in the islands are slave to those in the states as anyone whose had a position there for the last decade would know.

Yes, raising the capital gains tax will be a disaster, but try explaining that to the idiots currently running our country: Obama/Pelosi/Reid.

The tax on capital gains directly affects investment decisions, the mobility and flow of risk capital . . . the ease or difficulty experienced by new ventures in obtaining capital, and thereby the strength and potential for growth in the economy.

-- President John F. Kennedy, 1963

Only an idiot would hold US monopoly money or invest in Murka.
5. ? Who cares. You fuckwads worship Walmart.
It was suicide.
I do not worship Walmart. Do you always make claims by pulling them out of your ass?

When you need repairs on your air conditioning where do you get the parts or the new unit?
From America and you have to import that into the country there. A friend of mine owns property in Bahamas and St. Thomas. NIGHTMARE is how he describes it.
He has to pay 100% duty for these new parts in Bahamas and close to that in St.Thomas. AND grease the local inspectors which includes everyone's brother in law in power where ever.
And then the local management robs him blind.
Good luck.

Buy a house and rent it out.

That is also subject to capital gains when you sell that house down the road.
A rise of 15% to 20% represents A 33% RISE IN YOUR EXPENSES on that investment property.
I have owned rental property.NEVER AGAIN.
They destroy it, run off with the washer and dryer and pipes, owe back rent, etc.
Raw land in an area where the zoning is changing is where I have about 300K tied up in my investment corporation.

Forum List

Back