You can't yell wolf in a crowded theater!

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Nancy Pelosi, defending the left's new mission to tear down the First Amendment, said in a recent interview, "You can't yell wolf in a crowded theater!"

Forget about, "how did this woman become an elected official?"... how the hell does she manage to make it through the day without drowning in the bathtub or walking in front of a bus? I realize she is from California but don't they have some sort of procedure you have to go through to get your name on the ballot? How can someone this utterly stupid know how to run for office? Seriously!

Now, of course, what the dingbat meant was "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater." But that's not really true either... You CAN yell fire in a crowded theater, especially if there is a fire! The saying comes from the landmark case from 1919, Schenck v. United States and actually had nothing to do with yelling fire in a crowded theater. Ironically, it was a case about draft protesters having the First Amendment right to advocate draft dodging. SCOTUS ruled unanimously, they had no such right and their convictions under the Espionage Act were constitutional.

Since 1919, we've had several other landmark cases regarding the parameters of the First Amendment. The left now wants to advocate censoring free speech on the basis of deeming it "hate speech" or those who speak as "hate groups." This is contrary to the very essence of the First Amendment.

I honestly, never in my life, thought I would see the day when the liberal left openly advocated censoring free speech. It's just blowing my mind. Do they think this is a one way street? That only speech they find offensive will be squelched? That only their authoritarians will ever be in charge of defining "hate speech" and "hate groups"?

This is a dangerous slippery slope the left is dancing around on. Better be careful what you wish for. You never know when a pack of wild wolves might invade your local theater. Just saying!

Do they think this is a one way street? That only speech they find offensive will be squelched? That only their authoritarians will ever be in charge of defining "hate speech" and "hate groups"?

Seriously guys answer this.

Nancy Pelosi needs a lobotomy.

She is a special kind of stupid.

How are you going to yell "wolf" inside a theater?????

That's beyond ridiculous!

Given some of her recent statements and obvious confusion she has something going on, or not going on upstairs

Sure you can ...

abbott_and_costello_wolf_man_chaney.jpg

Not the first time the left has attacked free speech. I remember Tipper Gore and the PMRC campaign against satanic lyrics perceived in the heavy metal of the mid 1980's.
Frank Zappa, John Denver and Dee Snyder testified before congress against the PMRC.
This battle was the reason for explicit lyric labels added to albums.

New Topics

Forum List

Back