You become a adult, you can buy a car

Next week I'm become a adult, and my father is going to buy a car for me.
of course,I have been using bicycle before.
I think I want A FIAT 500
What about you? what is your first car?
My first car was a 1965 F100 pickup. It was old, and drank a lot of gas, but it got me from point A to point B.

Why is your dad buying you a car? You should be buying for one yourself. If you can't afford one then do without until you can afford one. You should be paying for your own insurance, gas, inspections, repairs, registration too.

sory
For this issue, I am ashamed
This is just a gift, maybe I should have told my father that I will give you money.
But really, I now need a car, maybe I should consider whether or not to accept this gift

Work to repay your dad.

My first car was a red 69 VW Bug. That little critter would go anywhere and do anything. When it went over 200K miles, I got worried, listened to others' advice to replace it before it went bad so bought a 73 VW bug.

Driving it home, the engine locked up because the previous owner never put oil in it. So, had to put a new engine in it. After that, it lasted forever.

Now, I have Toyota's.

Why is your dad buying you a car? You should be buying for one yourself. If you can't afford one then do without until you can afford one. You should be paying for your own insurance, gas, inspections, repairs, registration too.

sory
This is just a gift, maybe I should have told my father that I will give you money.
But really, I now need a car, maybe I should consider whether or not to accept this gift

Work to repay your dad.

My first car was a red 69 VW Bug. That little critter would go anywhere and do anything. When it went over 200K miles, I got worried, listened to others' advice to replace it before it went bad so bought a 73 VW bug.

Driving it home, the engine locked up because the previous owner never put oil in it. So, had to put a new engine in it. After that, it lasted forever.

Now, I have Toyota's.

having a VW 40-some years ago was a work of love... :)

back in 1975, with no prior mechanical experience, I was able to rebuild the engine for my '65 microbus... granted, the parts sat around on a work bench for several months before I was able to put 'em all back together... but dang... I can still remember how sweet it was when I finally got the engine back into the bus... 'n it practically sang once I started it up...

sory

Work to repay your dad.

Now, I have Toyota's.

having a VW 40-some years ago was a work of love... :)

back in 1975, with no prior mechanical experience, I was able to rebuild the engine for my '65 microbus... granted, the parts sat around on a work bench for several months before I was able to put 'em all back together... but dang... I can still remember how sweet it was when I finally got the engine back into the bus... 'n it practically sang once I started it up...

Remember the exploded drawing of the VW engine in this manual -

vw_alive_553.jpg

515c5c0aa5d48c05073bc06362b37b6d.jpg

vw%20craps%20out.jpg

That illustrator died in 2005

Albloggerque: Illustrator for John Muir's VW Manual, Peter Aschwanden, Dead At 63

The People's Car - the one good thing Hitler did.

Fascinating book if you can find it - Small Wonder.

The Bug would go anywhere. I once went to the top of Mosquito Pass in Colorado - mostly because I didn't know I couldn't. And, you could pull stumps with first gear.

Underpowered, ill-handling, poor-braking deathtraps with no functioning heater or defroster and a tendency for vicious snap-oversteer without warning. Worst car ever sold, should have been euthanized twenty years before it finally was.

The Bug was an interesting example of an interesting philosophy of design. Start with a design that is "perfect" at least in your own eyes, then refine it a little bit every year FOREVER.

On the one hand, you might end up with a VW bug that is many generations better than originally conceived, while staying close to the original concept - but is still a piece of crap, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, take the Porsche 911. Refine, refine, refine. It's still a horrific design (rear engine, opposed six), but with all the electronic doo-dads those Germans have turned it into a car for the ages.

Then look at the H-D Electra Glide. Air-cooled pushrod V-2. Constanly refined for the last 100 or so years. Still vibrates like crazy, not very powerful, doesn't handle very well, and quite popular.

The Bug was an interesting example of an interesting philosophy of design. Start with a design that is "perfect" at least in your own eyes, then refine it a little bit every year FOREVER.

On the one hand, you might end up with a VW bug that is many generations better than originally conceived, while staying close to the original concept - but is still a piece of crap, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, take the Porsche 911. Refine, refine, refine. It's still a horrific design (rear engine, opposed six), but with all the electronic doo-dads those Germans have turned it into a car for the ages.

Then look at the H-D Electra Glide. Air-cooled pushrod V-2. Constanly refined for the last 100 or so years. Still vibrates like crazy, not very powerful, doesn't handle very well, and quite popular.

I had a 74 Beetle. Was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Pretty spartan, but it always got me from point A to point B.

Uh, you DO know who designed the bug, right?

But, the bug is an example of being improved right out of existence.

Forum List

Back