You aren't legally allowed to know which variant gave you COVID-19 in the US, even if it's Delta

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013

You aren't legally allowed to know which variant gave you COVID-19 in the US, even if it's Delta​

Aria Bendix
Mon, August 23, 2021

• Most people with COVID-19 in the US are legally prevented from knowing which variant infected them.
  • That's because sequencing tests have to be federally approved for results to be disclosed to doctors or patients, and most are not yet.
  • Lab scientists say the process of validating the tests for approval is too costly and time-consuming.
  • See more stories on Insider's business page.
Sam Reider, a musician from San Francisco, got a call from the California Department of Public Health in June. Though fully vaccinated, Reider had recently tested positive for COVID-19 after teaching music at a summer camp. The health department asked him to take a second test at a local Kaiser Permanente.

Reider assumed it was because authorities wanted to find out whether he had a Delta infection. He, too, was curious - but when he got the test results back, he was surprised to learn that doctors couldn't give him any information about his variant.

"When I got the follow-up from Kaiser, they said it's positive, but they didn't have any of the sequencing information," Reider told Insider. That "felt odd to me," he said.

Several legal barriers prevented Reider and his doctors - as well as nearly all Americans who have tested positive for the coronavirus - from knowing which variant was to blame.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service (CMS), which oversees the regulatory process for US labs, requires genome-sequencing tests to be federally approved before their results can be disclosed to doctors or patients. These are the tests that pick up on variants, but right now, there's little incentive for the labs to do the work to validate those tests.

So, nooooow hear this. Isn't that just great?

I suppose you ran off to confirm this little bit of info you have passed... Maybe a link to help support you accusation... Thanks in advance...

The accusation is in the OP using bullshit "Business Insider" (great medical journal that IT is) to back it up.

Meanwhile I work in a hospital four nights a week; never...not once...have we informed any staff members that they can't tell a patient what has caused their illness.

From what I read it is a costly process for a lab to get federally qualified and once a new variant comes along the process starts over from scratch.

Becker's Hospital Review:

Last edited:
From what I read it is a costly process for a lab to get federally qualified and once a new variant comes along the process starts over from scratch.

Becker's Hospital Review:

That may be the case.

What isn't the case is that if you are suffering from X disease; you are told in very plain language that you are suffering from X disease. There is no law anywhere that prohibits a doctor or any other medical professional from telling a patient what their disease is, what caused the disease, the name of a virus, bacteria, germ, parasite, etc...

The OP is flat out false.

That may be the case.

What isn't the case is that if you are suffering from X disease; you are told in very plain language that you are suffering from X disease. There is no law anywhere that prohibits a doctor or any other medical professional from telling a patient what their disease is, what caused the disease, the name of a virus, bacteria, germ, parasite, etc...

The OP is flat out false.

The OP is talking about people being able to receive information on testing showing which variant caused their COVID. The "science" has lost the trust of a large portion of the people because of science putting politics ahead of Science. So if they want people to get the JAB based on "variants" a large majority are going to want to see prof of the variants.

The OP is talking about people being able to receive information on testing showing which variant caused their COVID. The "science" has lost the trust of a large portion of the people because of science putting politics ahead of Science. So if they want people to get the JAB based on "variants" a large majority are going to want to see prof of the variants.

The title mentions some absolute bullshit about not legally being able to divulge information. It's nonsense.

Forum List

Back