you, a late-night convenience store and a gang of four: what would you do?

It's 2 a.m. You're working at the Quick Stop when four armed men walk in. Do you ...

• Ask them if they have any gardening tips?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell them J.Edgar Hoover was your great-great uncle?

• Ask them if they managed to catch "The View" today?

• Tell them about your autographed picture of Celine Dion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would depend on other factors besides the fact that they were carrying guns.

Do they look like businessmen or sportsmen? Or do they look like thugs & bikers?

Are they watching the door or parking lot? Are they paying attention to the cameras?

Most likely I would comment on one or more of their firearms. Gun buffs tend to like to talk about their guns. If they aren't interested in talking about them, or they look suspicious, I would reach under the counter.

Do they look like businessmen or sportsmen? Or do they look like thugs & bikers?

Are they watching the door or parking lot? Are they paying attention to the cameras?

If you had ever made a poll here, you would know that none of that excess information fits into the poll's question box.

WinterBorn said:
Most likely I would comment on one or more of their firearms.

Right. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig-ta-ta-TUH.

WinterBorn said:
Gun buffs tend to like to talk about their guns. If they aren't interested in talking about them, or they look suspicious, I would reach under the counter.

It ain't your store, and you ain't allowed to bring firearms to work.

But yeah, I get it: you're tough. Thanks.

If you had ever made a poll here, you would know that none of that excess information fits into the poll's question box.

WinterBorn said:
Most likely I would comment on one or more of their firearms.

Right. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig-ta-ta-TUH.

WinterBorn said:
Gun buffs tend to like to talk about their guns. If they aren't interested in talking about them, or they look suspicious, I would reach under the counter.

It ain't your store, and you ain't allowed to bring firearms to work.

But yeah, I get it: you're tough. Thanks.

I didn't say there was a gun under the counter. Most places that are open all night have an emergency button or panic button. That could also be what I was reaching for. But it also could have been a gun. I was never allowed to have them when I worked the midnight shift at hotels either. I would have been fired if they had caught me. But given the choice between fired or dead, fired isn't so bad.

Yes, the polls don't allow for all the extra stuff I mentioned. But I also notice you did not list a single choice that was pro-gun.

I am also amused that you asked a question, then when you didn't get the answer you wanted you attempt an insult. Very classy.

But the other characteristics I mentioned are valid. Just because someone has a gun there is no need to go crazy.

armed as in "how"? Slung longarms or holstered pistols? I treat them as any other customer gets treated, but keep my eye on them. Of course, I'm black belt and AA rated IPSC match shottist, specializing in ccw draw speed and superfast hits, at 5 yds and less. I can't imagine being so hard up that I'd take such a job, but if I did,especially on the night shift and working alone, I'd be packing and I'd be wearing armor, too. I also wouldn't be working that job for very long.

If the weapons are in holsters or cases? Serve them. People who care for guns properly generally have the manners and money to act as good customers.

If the weapons are being brandished press the silent alarm button on the floor behind the counter and be very polite. Then when you hear the sirens, hug the floor.

Dead heroes generally don't get to attend the funerals of others.

If the weapons are in holsters or cases? Serve them. People who care for guns properly generally have the manners and money to act as good customers.

They are not in holsters or cases. They are in their hands.

The gentlemen are also wearing panty hose — on their heads.

HenryBHough said:
If the weapons are being brandished press the silent alarm button on the floor behind the counter and be very polite. Then when you hear the sirens, hug the floor.

Not every convenience store has a panic button.

HenryBHough said:

That's where the Corn Nuts come in, see.

Last edited:

They are not in holsters or cases. They are in their hands.

The gentlemen are also wearing panty hose — on their heads.

HenryBHough said:

Not every convenience store has a panic button.

HenryBHough said:

That's where the Corn Nuts come in, see.

Oh I see. You just forgot to mention that the guns were in their hands and that they were wearing masks. Yeah, I can't see where that would be a very important detail either.

So let me change my post too. If the store didn't have a panic button and wouldn't let me have my gun, I wouldn't work there.

So let me change my post too. If the store didn't have a panic button and wouldn't let me have my gun, I wouldn't work there.

But let's pretend that you are allowed a gun, then what would you do?

If it was 2am and 4 guys with pantyhose on their heads and guns in their hands started to come in? I'd grab my gun and try to hide in the back. If I couldn't get to the back quick enough, I would start shooting.

Last edited:

If it was 2am and 4 guys with pantyhose on their heads and guns in their hands started to come in? I'd grab my gun and try to hide in the back. If I couldn't get to the back quick enough, I would start shooting.

Great. One less moron in the gene pool....

Maybe 4 less morons.

Would you care to explain why you think my actions would be moronic and why you are so sure I would be dead?

Maybe 4 less morons.

Would you care to explain why you think my actions would be moronic and why you are so sure I would be dead?

1) The only country in the western world where somebody would have a shootout is in the US
2) Most people would just hand over the money or go hide somewhere until they are gone
3) Only the US conservative male thinks it is somehow a pox on their manhood if they don't 'man up' and start shooting the bad guys. Like you handing over the money is somehow a wussy thing to do, or is a blight on your 'freedom'. It is somehow cowardly to let armed robbers take stuff.

Let's look at the outcome your way:
1) 1-5 people possible dead or at least injured - that is a given if you open up
2) Money possibly/likely taken anyway if it's 1 vs 4
3) The owner is insured so he gets his money back

My Way
1) I live, they live (most likely - there is the odd occasion when some meth head might open up anyway, but unlike Hollywood, the actual stats of armed people opening up on victims is very rare)
2) The money is gone
3) The owner is insured
4) I get to describe the bad guys to the cops and it becomes their problem, not mine.

Last edited:

Maybe 4 less morons.

1) The only country in the western world where somebody would have a shootout is in the US
2) Most people would just hand over the money or go hide somewhere until they are gone
3) Only the US conservative male thinks it is somehow a pox on their manhood if they don't 'man up' and start shooting the bad guys. Like you handing over the money is somehow a wussy thing to do, or is a blight on your 'freedom'. It is somehow cowardly to let armed robbers take stuff.

Let's look at the outcome your way:
1) 1-5 people possible dead or at least injured - that is a given if you open up
2) Money possibly/likely taken anyway if it's 1 vs 4
3) The owner is insured so he gets his money back

My Way
1) I live, they live (most likely - there is the odd occasion when some meth head might open up anyway, but unlike Hollywood, the actual stats of armed people opening up on victims is very rare)
2) The money is gone
3) The owner is insured
4) I get to describe the bad guys to the cops and it becomes their problem, not mine.

Ok, the only way you could make these claims is if you ignore what I actually said.

What I said I would do is "I'd grab my gun and try to hide in the back.

It was only if I couldn't get there that I said I would shoot.

I said nothing about protecting the money or not wanting to give up the money. That is your projection or addition to what I have said.

The victim being shit after cooperating, especially in an armed robbery situation is far from rare. Also, since I have stated that I would shoot only if I could not hide, I am simply taking steps to control my own fate. If you wish to leave it up to some thug whether you live or die, that is your choice.

As for your identifying the perpetrators, there are two points. First, with pantyhose on their head, the likelihood of you identifying them is slim. Second, the gunmen KNOW you will try and identify them. Another reason they may shot.

Your logic is far from perfect and your reply ignored what I stated.

Forum List

Back