Yes, we do have bugs in the South!

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
A few days ago I was eating in my favorite chair. In the living room, sue me.
A meal of vegetables, Black-eyed peas, Butter beans and fresh home made Corn bread. No, I’m not a vegetarian.

Anyway, I’m in my chair, a lazy boy recliner, and I dropped a pea off my folk. It rolled back between my back and the lodged between the top and bottom cushion of the chair. Well, I just slide my fingers between them and pulled it out, no problem. I thought I had dropped two though, so I slide my fingers between the two cushions again to find the second one and BINGO, I had it! I pulled it out to dispose of it and saw it was not a Black-eyed pea at all, it was a SCORPION! Right between my fingers I’m holding a SCORPION! I dropped it fast, right on my lap!

My easy chair became a rocket and launched me to the middle of the living room in one giant leap! It didn’t let go! I danced around a bit before running outside brushing it off and squishing it! That’ll teach em to get in my chair!

Nope, it never tagged me.

Yes, this is a TRUE story.

A meal of vegetables, Black-eyed peas, Butter beans and fresh home made Corn bread. No, I’m not a vegetarian.

Anyway, I’m in my chair, a lazy boy recliner, and I dropped a pea off my folk. It rolled back between my back and the lodged between the top and bottom cushion of the chair. Well, I just slide my fingers between them and pulled it out, no problem. I thought I had dropped two though, so I slide my fingers between the two cushions again to find the second one and BINGO, I had it! I pulled it out to dispose of it and saw it was not a Black-eyed pea at all, it was a SCORPION! Right between my fingers I’m holding a SCORPION! I dropped it fast, right on my lap!

My easy chair became a rocket and launched me to the middle of the living room in one giant leap! It didn’t let go! I danced around a bit before running outside brushing it off and squishing it! That’ll teach em to get in my chair!

Gotta love those little buggers---remember to shake your shoes out in the AM !

I believe you! The con side of moving to a warmer clime. Sure we have windy hot. We have windy cold. We have windy rain. Alas, we have windy snow and ice. We have tornadoes.

As for critters, mostly mammals, with mosquitoes, flies, and bees thrown in. At least in the burbs the rodents are pretty limited to field mice, ground squirrels. I remember DisneyWorld at Grand Floridian, the rainbow colored cockroach! Over $300 bucks per night, more than 10 years ago!

That was hysterical.

I lived in this house down in Apache Junction, Arizona Mr. P, and got stung by a Scorpion on the inside of my left hand index finger, because the damn thing was crawling up my back. My cat, whom are imune to Scorpion stings, caught and killed three more in that house, that I was aware of, before I moved out.

But hey, you're down south, do you know what kind of Scorpion it was? What color was it? And are there a lot of Scorpions down there?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn I laughed so hard the soda went down the wrong pipe and got spit back up.

If you ever live in twentynine palms learn to shake your boots out. Yuma has huge pale green scorpians that look meaner than two mothers in law on crack.

I believe you! The con side of moving to a warmer clime. Sure we have windy hot. We have windy cold. We have windy rain. Alas, we have windy snow and ice. We have tornadoes.

As for critters, mostly mammals, with mosquitoes, flies, and bees thrown in. At least in the burbs the rodents are pretty limited to field mice, ground squirrels. I remember DisneyWorld at Grand Floridian, the rainbow colored cockroach! Over $300 bucks per night, more than 10 years ago!

Here, it's very hot and humid. We have so many different varieties of biting bug and such a long season for them that we could keep Off! in business by ourselves. Nature's vicious here. Before I moved to a bit more urban area, I had to chase off coyotes, possums, racoons, and even stray cows, and believe me, possums are about a nasty as a wolverine.

I lived in this house down in Apache Junction, Arizona Mr. P, and got stung by a Scorpion on the inside of my left hand index finger, because the damn thing was crawling up my back. My cat, whom are imune to Scorpion stings, caught and killed three more in that house, that I was aware of, before I moved out.

But hey, you're down south, do you know what kind of Scorpion it was? What color was it? And are there a lot of Scorpions down there?

It was most likely Vaejovis Carolinianus. We have them in Alabama as well. They aren't particularly dangerous, but I wouldn't want sit on one.

Forum List

Back