Yes, Unemployment Insurance Causes Unemployment

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
Review & Outlook: How to Keep Workers Unemployed - WSJ.com

Maybe it's time to consider whether the big expansion of unemployment insurance has increased joblessness. In 2009 the Obama Administration and Congress extended jobless benefits for up to 99 weeks. The point was to help people through the recession, but now the jobless rate is 7%, down from 10%, and the White House still wants another extension.
More at the source.

Martin Feldstein's suggestion, given at the end of the article, would be a great substitute. It's downside is that it takes power from the state. So it wont happen.

This is another example of this administration and the media talking out of both sides of their mouths.
On one hand "the economy is going oh so much better, isn't it wonderful?"...and then with this - "unemployment is a big problem, people need help".

The WSJ obviously believes that everybody has their Romney Emergency Fund in the Cayman Islands.

The WSJ obviously believes that everybody has their Romney Emergency Fund in the Cayman Islands.

Fucking retard.

Want to see people get off their fat asses? Take the tit out of their mouths.

Work or starve, I sincerely do not give two fucks.

Of course it helps make unemployment worse.

I was laid off a few years ago. Got unemployment payments. The temptation was definitely there to just sit back for a while, instead of going out and pounding the pavement.

I pounded the pavement anyway, and soon had a new (and better) job. But I can see where just letting go, looked like an attractive alternative, and I can see where some people would do it.

If it wasn't an alternative at all - either you find a new job or you exist on the charity of friends, family, and church - then some of the people who might sit back and slide, wouldn't.

If you got that from the editorial you're obviously a hopeless case.
Yes, paying people not to work increases people not working. Generally that ought to be a blinding flash of the obvious.

If you got that from the editorial you're obviously a hopeless case.
Yes, paying people not to work increases people not working. Generally that ought to be a blinding flash of the obvious.

You would think.
But then from the late 1950's all the way to the mid 80's...it took the progressive Democrats over 30 years to realize that free housing, free food, free money - all for nothing also encouraged chronic unemployment.
Annnnnnd...the same progressives have already forgot that lesson and are in full force to repeat it. :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
This should be a no brainer. Of course unemployment insurance increases unemployment, that is a fact. That does not mean that unemployment insurance is inherently a bad thing though. There is nothing wrong with a basic safety net for when you lose your job. It is this new idea that you need that safety net for months on months that is so damn corrosive. I have always found the lefts inability to accept the fact that social nets cost jobs rather inane. Those jobs are the price of that safety net and if you truly believe they are needed then you should be more than willing to face the cost.

Of course there seems to be more people like Pelosi out there who actually believe that unemployment creates jobs rather than costing jobs refusing to accept the costs of their social agendas.

This should be a no brainer. Of course unemployment insurance increases unemployment, that is a fact. That does not mean that unemployment insurance is inherently a bad thing though. There is nothing wrong with a basic safety net for when you lose your job. It is this new idea that you need that safety net for months on months that is so damn corrosive. I have always found the lefts inability to accept the fact that social nets cost jobs rather inane. Those jobs are the price of that safety net and if you truly believe they are needed then you should be more than willing to face the cost.

Of course there seems to be more people like Pelosi out there who actually believe that unemployment creates jobs rather than costing jobs refusing to accept the costs of their social agendas.

Go and read the article. Martin Feldstein makes a brilliant suggestion that basically workers should pay into a fund for their own unemployment. If they never tap it, it's their when they retire. A much better solution.

Go and read the article. Martin Feldstein makes a brilliant suggestion that basically workers should pay into a fund for their own unemployment. If they never tap it, it's their when they retire. A much better solution.

...and what people used to do...save money for a rainy day.
This concept is completely vacant in the minds of almost every single American 45 and younger.

Forum List

Back