Yemen: Chaos, Conflict And Revolution – OpEd

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Some interesting facts about Yemen that we all probably never knew unless we were a Yemini or a scholar of the Saudi Peninsula.

Yemen: Chaos, Conflict And Revolution – OpEd

By Sufyan bin Uzayr

December 9, 2013

Yemen. The very name of this country brings many thoughts to one’s mind. It happens to be one of the oldest centres of civilization in the region, and is currently the second largest country in the Arabian Peninsula. If that does not impress you, Yemen is also the only state in the Arabian Peninsula to have a purely republican form of government, and was the first country in the region to grant voting rights to women.

A nice resume, indeed! Sadly, of late Yemen has not made it to the papers for the right reasons. As harsh as it may sound, present-day Yemen is far from perfect.

Some Historical Context
Yemeni unification occurred back in 1990 when North Yemen (officially Yemen Arab Republic) was united with South Yemen (PDR of Yemen). What seemed to be a peaceful unification later on led to an atmosphere of civil war and the quest for power-grab ensued — you know how it goes!

While there were signs of insurgency in late 1990s and early 2000s, the actual ‘revolution’ happened in 2011. In fact, the Yemeni Revolution almost coincided with the Arab Spring mass protests. The initial issues that the Revolution focused on included unemployment, dismal economy and corruption.

Finish reading at:

Yemen: Chaos, Conflict And Revolution - OpEd Eurasia Review

It read like an apologetic travel brochure. "For experienced travelers who venture beyond the beaten path, you may be kidnapped, de-skinned and have your balls stuffed down your throat."

I got as far as "As harsh as it may sound, present-day Yemen is far from perfect." then I had to go clean some lint from my navel.

Last edited:
It read like an apologetic travel brochure. I got as far as "As harsh as it may sound, present-day Yemen is far from perfect." then I had to go clean some lint from my navel.

Poor you, we know that you are not interested in what is happening in the rest of the Middle East so of course you wouldn't want to finish readubg an article that was probably written by a Yemeni. Perhaps the comics are more your speed.

Thanks, Alf, for letting everyone know just how little you care about the continuing suffering of people in Yemen. It shows what a true humanitarian you are.

This guy is hilarious...

As expected, insurgency did not perish. Yemen today stands divided between various groups (who in turn are divided between Sunni and Shi’ite sects), both violent and peaceful, as well as pro-government factions. Add to it the fact that USA does not know how to keep its drones and bombs away from civilians, and you will get a fair idea about the chaotic situation that Yemen is currently experiencing.

I think I'm beginning to like him.

It read like an apologetic travel brochure. I got as far as "As harsh as it may sound, present-day Yemen is far from perfect." then I had to go clean some lint from my navel.

Poor you, we know that you are not interested in what is happening in the rest of the Middle East so of course you wouldn't want to finish readubg an article that was probably written by a Yemeni. Perhaps the comics are more your speed.

ABOUT
Page
Hey! My name is Sufyan bin Uzayr. I am a writer and if you are reading this, there is a good chance that you came to my blog via one of my articles elsewhere on the internet, or may be my own magazine Brave New World.

I spend my nights trying to write (and my days procrastinating, don’t ask why!). In terms of topics, the options are varied: I write primarily about web design and development, Linux and other open source software, database management and everything that has anything to do with computers. I also write a fortnightly political article, published on Brave New World and republished by several other websites.

And where exactly do I write? I am the News Editor at SpeckyBoy. Earlier, I was the Editor-in-Chief at 1stWebDesigner.com, and also the WordPress/CMS Expert at Noupe Design Magazine.

I have authored a book, which was published back in 2012. Plus, I regularly write articles for YangPress, Torque Magazine and Design Instruct.

In the past, I have written for 1stWebDesigner, WPMU, Mobile Magazine, Digital Art Empire, WP Lift and several other websites. I was also (briefly) associated with The Times of India, until I got tired of the work schedule and decided that freelance lifestyle was the only thing meant for me.

I am the Editor of Brave New World, a political and current affairs magazine. While we are at it, how about you check out my column over there? This fortnightly piece, by the way, is republished by some progressive websites of repute, for instance International Policy Digest, Eurasia Review, Foreign Policy Journal, The Balkan Chronicle, GlobalPolitician.com, CounterPunch.org and PoliticalBlindspot.org

Among other things, I have above-average photography skills, a never-ending love for coffee, a degree in English Literature, and a tolerable level of expertise with Perl, Ruby on Rails and OpenJDK development, though nowadays I work entirely as a writer and the only time I turn towards coding is when I am writing an article or a tutorial about web development.

I am open for freelance writing and editing. If you want me to write for your blog/website/magazine, drop me a word. I generally stay aloof from unpaid writing, so I apologize in advance if that’s what you’re looking for.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain he is yemeni...

Thanks, Alf, for letting everyone know just how little you care about the continuing suffering of people in Yemen. It shows what a true humanitarian you are.

The pathetic part is that Alfalfa thinks he is fooling everyone reading this forum that he is such a caring person. I guess we should leave him to his delusions because that might be the only thing he has in his life.

Actually, my opposition to zionism shows what a true humanitarian I am.

The pathetic part is that Alfalfa thinks he is fooling everyone reading this forum that he is such a caring person. I guess we should leave him to his delusions because that might be the only thing he has in his life.

I never said I was a caring person.

Yemen......a recipe for chaos.

First, have the U.S. back a puppet dictator with money and weapons.

Then launch drone strikes killing innocent Yemen citizens and enraging the Yemen people.

Add finally add a dash of Mossad/CIA covert destabilization and false flag operations.

And then the American people wonder why Yemen is a breeding ground for terrorism?? .... :cool:

Yemen......a recipe for chaos.

First, have the U.S. back a puppet dictator with money and weapons.

Then launch drone strikes killing innocent Yemen citizens and enraging the Yemen people.

Add finally add a dash of Mossad/CIA covert destabilization and false flag operations.

And then the American people wonder why Yemen is a breeding ground for terrorism?? .... :cool:

And you simply cut and paste excerpts of every nonsensical conspiracy theory you read on the web, none of it supportable.

You're a gullible stooge.

.......True story

...............:cool:

Sad, very sad. You probably take the change out of the tip jars when no one is looking.

Sad, very sad. You probably take the change out of the tip jars when no one is looking.
You are just upset because he usually gets his hand in the jar before you. .... :lol: :lol:

And you simply cut and paste excerpts of every nonsensical conspiracy theory you read on the web, none of it supportable.
Cut & Paste seems to be your forte. .... :lol: :lol:

As expected, your claims are a fraud. You can't defend them so you're left to juvenile attempts at insults. Even those you can't get right.

.......True story

.............:cool:

I haven't seena tip jar in 20 years. What trailer community do you live in.

Forum List

Back