yall need to get ready....for the deep freeze

The greatest drop in one hour at my home station is 32 degrees and this blast may exceed that

Yeah, we had four feet of snow last week. It then froze, so the whole region hasn't topped 25 degrees since then. Right now it is 20, and will probably drop to 18 or so.

But I am over 7000 feet elevation so we are used to it.

Here in Far Northern CA, up in the mountains, 2 to 6 feet of snow is pretty typical. We just went through a couple of weeks of Winter storms. My driveway turned into a bobsled run when the freezing temperatures ensued. Still have berms of ice. Snow can really suck if you have to travel. Good luck to all in the East the next few days. Stay warm!

Yeah, we had four feet of snow last week. It then froze, so the whole region hasn't topped 25 degrees since then. Right now it is 20, and will probably drop to 18 or so.

But I am over 7000 feet elevation so we are used to it.
Yep, we mountain folks know snow!!! I live off a State highway that gets plowed but, my driveway is a couple of hundred feet from the road and on a slope. I have a quad with a snow blade so I can clear the driveway when it first snows. If I wait too long it freezes and plowing it is almost impossible. The County snow plows create a 2 to 4 food berm at the end of my driveway which I have to tunnel through.

Last edited:
Yup. I always crack up when the lowlanders are concerned about a couple of inches.

We get that in half an hour sometimes!

The worst storm we had here we got 10 feet of snow over a 48 hour period.
I hear ya. Man, that's a lot of snow!!! Worst I had was 3 feet and it was really nasty! We're only at 3,500 feet. People here help each other. I helped my neighbor clear their driveway and when I was shoveling snow at the road, some guy came by with a plow mounted on his car, he stopped and helped us.

It won't be as bad as the last one was here. Below freezing for a couple of days then back up over freezing by Christmas day.

They're here.

Knew it was coming. The cold and dynamic gusty wind and blinding blowing snow are here.

My weather station in the back yard logged a 62 mph wind gust. And a 50 degree drop in temperature since yesterday. Yesterday it was over 45 degrees here. Today it's 5 degrees below zero. And it's likely to drop lower than that. Burrrrr.

I don't even want to think about what the wind chill is.

I'm just going to stay indoors at home today as much as I can.

Last edited:
weather-warning-southerners-are-urged-not-to-travel-unless-absolutely-necessary-northerners-you-will-need-your-big-coat-Kzv7Z.jpg
WEATHER-WARNING-Southerners-are-urged-not-to-trav

its coming....20 degrees for a few days ...way into the far south and texas...get ready...bring your pets in and shore up your place...get that shrinkable plastic and cover your windows...get the family in one room....blankets and warm clothes are the key...be careful of running the water to keep it from freezing...if it freezes under the sink...it will flood your kitchen...check your pipes...dont shovel snow...let it be..it will melt..dont drive if you dont have too and if you drive make sure you got stuff in car in case you get stalled..i put a blanket with nabs and water in car...also those chemical hand warmers...be aware of carbon poisoning in house and in car...dont do stupid stuff like trying the stove on high and leaving it for heat...at night..socks and hats..wear them...dont drink in excess....dont linger in wet clothes ...if you have wool now is the time to break it out

snuggle and cuddle...
It’s brutal here in western New York. Feels like -30 in some places. Winds up to 78 miles. Wow hundreds of people stranded stranded in their cars for hours.

When we couple the snowy conditions with the Highwinds it create a dynamic situation. Sometimes people think they can go out go to the gas station get some cigarettes , beer food whatever it might be and all of a sudden a gust of 60 mile an hour wind can kick in and they’re in deep trouble. There’s extreme low visibility in many areas here. So when all is said and done hopefully the death toll is as low as possible here in western New York.

God be with us

Got in my car this morning in Newberry SC, started it up and my car complained about it being so freaking cold. The temp indicator for the outside temp said it was only 14 deg.

My TPMS light even came on. Seems that the cold last night sucked anywhere from 7 to 10 psi out of my tires.

And.....................I'm living here in the lower part of SC rather than being back in Montana so I don't have to deal with cold like this. WTF Mother Nature? Are you bringing the cold to me since I won't go back to MT?

many homes in the deep south and most likely texas and all...are not insulated....people who live in the cold...know that getting yourself in stupid situations...can result in death by freezing...
Most houses today ARE insulated. The same insulation that keeps heat out will keep cold out as well. Insulation is insulation.

Most houses today ARE insulated. The same insulation that keeps heat out will keep cold out as well. Insulation is insulation.

I only halfway agree with that statement. Yes, insulation is insulation, but in warmer climates you aren't as concerned about drafts and cracks where the outside can sneak in. In colder climates, you are. Houses that I lived in up north were much better sealed against drafts than places that I live in down south.

Forum List

Back