WSJ Says Huntsman’s Economic Plan Best Yet from GOP Contenders

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
FWIW

John Huntsman rolled out his economic proposal this week. It includes

• Lowering personal tax rates to 8%, 14% and 23%
• Eliminating all deductions and credits.
• Eliminate the double taxation of dividends and capital gains
• Eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax
• Lower the corporate tax from 35% to 25%
• Corporate profits made abroad would not be subject to tax
• Repeal health care reform
• Repeal Dodd-Frank
• Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
• Restrict the EPA
• Reduce the power of independent agencies such as the NLRB
• Streamline testing at the FDA
• Privatize Freddie and Fannie
• Increase drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska and shale deposits. Encourage imports from the Canadian Oil Sands
• Make free trade a priority again

Review & Outlook: Huntsman's Good Economic Plan - WSJ.com
Time To Compete - An American Jobs Plan | Jon Huntsman for President

I like the tax reform, deregulation and energy parts (except drilling off Florida!). He doesn’t say what he’d do with health care other than repeal the law. Repealing Sarbanes-Oxley is a good idea. Dodd-Frank is a monster, and should be reformed, but there are good laws that should not be repealed.

I don’t agree with everything, but it’s pretty decent. I could live with it.

It looks good, even drilling off of Florida. We should be producing our own energy.

It looks good, even drilling off of Florida. We should be producing our own energy.

Why would you think that drilling off of Florida would increase America's energy?

If they allowed more drilling, they'd lease to rights to a foreign company, most likely.

Even if they did lease it to an American company, they'd just put the oil on the world market. China would probably benefit more than America.

Did you know that our oil resources are not nationalized? If they were, then yes, America would see an increase in enegry, but we're not nationalized, so only the oil companies would benefit.

I don't know if I want a repeal of Sarbanes/Oxley. I would like a substantial overhaul. The whole point of S/O is that we wouldn't have bogus valuations of assets on company books. And lo and behold the driving force for the farce of the meltdown of 2008 was the bogus valuations of the bonds and assets of Fannie/Freddie.
Fannie and Freddie have got to be totally privatized and tightly regulated. So that Fannie and Freddie are subject to S/O type regulation.

And heath care has to be substantially fixed. The Ryan plan is a good start.

Getting rid of AMT is a good start

Getting a fix on double taxation would be nice, but it is a third rail issue. Total ignorami love it.

Dealing with repatriation of US funds stuck overseas would be a huge kick in the accelerator for US investment.

And Free Trade as a priority would be an even bigger help. I would like to see perfect free trade between the US and Canada. It might even be a bigger deal to the North American economy and politics than the Zolverien of the 19th Century was to Germany.

FWIW

• Repeal Dodd-Frank
• Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
• Restrict the EPA
• Increase drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska and shale deposits. Encourage imports from the Canadian Oil Sands

I like the tax reform, deregulation and energy parts (except drilling off Florida!). He doesn’t say what he’d do with health care other than repeal the law. Repealing Sarbanes-Oxley is a good idea. Dodd-Frank is a monster, and should be reformed, but there are good laws that should not be repealed.

If this grand plan were to fail and cause massive poverty, suffering and death in the U.S., you would object if we went Stalinist on you would you?

Why would you think that drilling off of Florida would increase America's energy?

If they allowed more drilling, they'd lease to rights to a foreign company, most likely.

Even if they did lease it to an American company, they'd just put the oil on the world market. China would probably benefit more than America.

Did you know that our oil resources are not nationalized? If they were, then yes, America would see an increase in enegry, but we're not nationalized, so only the oil companies would benefit.

More oil in the market is better for everyone.

If that were true, all oil producers would always run at maximum production, which they do not.

Has it ever occured to you that having America preserve it's oil resovoirs is strategically in the best interest of America's long term future?

Last edited:

If that were true, all oil producers would always run at maximum production, which they do not.

Has it ever occured to you that having America preserve it's oil resovoirs is strategically in the best interest of America's long term future?

The hold back because they are an oligopoly, but cheaper oil is best for consumers and businesses.

It is not in our best interest to cut back. That is economic suicide.

I heard his 1/2 hr speech yesterday hoping for some rationality/sanity but it sounds eerily like the rest of the wing-nuts round-up. Sad that :( He seemed very stiff-necked/cold too. Women won't vote for him.

Not bas as long as the lost revenue is made up by eliminating the deductions & credits
Not bad as long as it makes up for all the other lost revenue.
Taxing half as capital gains, then half as dividends encourages companies to reinvest their profits rather than declaring them as dividends. But you've probably never looked at it that way.

I've never paid the AMT so I don't know much about it.

Fine as long as the lost revenue is made up for thru other means.

You hate American workers don't you?

And replace it with what? Fully socialized health care? Great idea!
• Repeal Dodd-Frank
Oh great we can have another banking industry collapse!

• Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
I hate Sarb-Ox, it's a royal pain in my butt, but stock holder deserve some protection.
• Restrict the EPA

Great! Then we can go back to the days of polluted rivers, garbage strewn streets and barely breathable air! Brilliant!
Once again, you do hate American workers!

Great, now you want to spread disease all over the place! The FDA, like other fed agencies were created for very good reasons!

Freedie and Fannie were privitized years ago.

Oil sands are great. Let's save America's reserves for as long as possible. I suppose that the long term strategic interests of America don't matter for you.
Once again: you really, really hate American workers, don't you!

FWIW

• Repeal Dodd-Frank
• Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
• Restrict the EPA

I could vote for Huntsman...These are some really good idea's. I believe the corporate tax should be lowered even more.

I could vote for Huntsman...These are some really good idea's. I believe the corporate tax should be lowered even more.
Yeah, they're great ideas.

I also remember a certain guy running for president, touting a "humble foreign policy" and who decried the bloat of federal bureaucracy.

How'd that one work out?

Using your logic, you should never vote again since you cannot believe every single word a politician says.

Besides 9/11 happened and changed the game.

Huntsman is a RINO. He's the guy who supports Cap and Trade. The odds that he would actually push for any of this if he got elected are nil.

He can't be trusted.

FWIW

• Repeal Dodd-Frank
• Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
• Restrict the EPA

New Topics

Forum List

Back