CDZ Wrongfully jailed people. How much compensation money should they receive?

imisslily

Sep 11, 2018
Wrongfully jailed people - should they receive financial compensation and how much?

After reading this I was outraged. Taking away 25 years of someones life and only paying them $670,000. I think they deserve at least $100k a year for ever year wrongfully locked up. Going to jail can traumatise people and destroy their ability to invest and earn money etc.

Chinese man gets US$670,000 payout after he was wrongfully jailed for 25 years

• Compensation package includes record US$277,000 for ‘mental harm’ caused
  • Liu Zhonglin, now 50, was exonerated in April over the murder of an 18-year-old woman. He had maintained his innocence throughout his imprisonment

Unless the government behaved badly (IE hid exculpatory evidence etc etc) they shouldn't receive anything.

Juries sometimes make mistakes, but it's pretty rare, and in the case of new evidence exonerates someone, well again unless it is new evidence due to malfeasance on the part of the government at the time, oops. I mean okay it sucks if DNA evidence clears someone 20 years after the fact, but how is that anyone's fault really?

Unless the government behaved badly (IE hid exculpatory evidence etc etc) they shouldn't receive anything.

Juries sometimes make mistakes, but it's pretty rare, and in the case of new evidence exonerates someone, well again unless it is new evidence due to malfeasance on the part of the government at the time, oops. I mean okay it sucks if DNA evidence clears someone 20 years after the fact, but how is that anyone's fault really?
Real life is nothing like CSI.

Real life is nothing like CSI.

And I mean I obviously feel for someone who has spent time in prison for a crime they did not commit. But that doesn't mean they are entitled to compensation.

95% of the people america incarcerates never got a trial. Oh so quick to blame and lock up, for profit even. But hey, the system is no one's fault, we just watched.

95% of the people america incarcerates never got a trial.

Nonsense

The only people in prison without a trial are those who reached a plea agreement.

Now jail, awaiting trial or what have you, that's a different matter, but long term incarceration? Surely you don't really believe that stat?

Hell it's not even your fault if you murder someone, or the police do, while you're/they're scared.

95% of the people america incarcerates never got a trial.

Nonsense

The only people in prison without a trial are those who reached a plea agreement.

Now jail, awaiting trial or what have you, that's a different matter, but long term incarceration? Surely you don't really believe that stat?

Yes. 95% are intimidated into copping the plea; often those who cannot afford a trial defense. Rather the point. No justice, just us, the unsubstantial people.

You people who believe do not question, I don't follow your crowd.

The Mirage of Justice
The Mirage of Justice

The Guardian newspaper reported: “The Innocence Project has kept detailed records on the 337 cases across the [United States] where prisoners have been exonerated as a result of DNA testing since 1989. The group’s researchers found that false confessions were made in 28 percent of all the DNA-related exonerations, a striking proportion in itself. But when you look only at homicide convictions—by definition the most serious cases—false confessions are the leading cause of miscarriages of justice, accounting for a full 63% of the 113 exonerations.”

Oh they are ENTITLED to compensation. How about one hundred grand per year they have been in jail. Ten years? One million. Seems fair.

Wrongfully jailed people - should they receive financial compensation and how much?

After reading this I was outraged. Taking away 25 years of someones life and only paying them $670,000. I think they deserve at least $100k a year for ever year wrongfully locked up. Going to jail can traumatise people and destroy their ability to invest and earn money etc.

• Liu Zhonglin, now 50, was exonerated in April over the murder of an 18-year-old woman. He had maintained his innocence throughout his imprisonment
1 million per year. Mistakes of this nature should be costly. Very costly...

I think it should be like this......if an innocent is jailed and held by the government....

--tax free life....no state taxes if jailed by state, no federal taxes if jailed by feds.

--a million dollars for each year he was held.

-- a free home up to 250,000 dollars

--a free car up to 49,000 dollars

--free counseling for the rest of their life

There is no way to repay an innocent citizen who is unlawfully held in prison.....but this would be a start....

Guarantee a million bucks a year and people will find a way to scam the system by getting themselves falsely prosecuted.

Guarantee a million bucks a year and people will find a way to scam the system by getting themselves falsely prosecuted.
That would be a crime. People have been committing fraud since forever. It would only require a more thorough justice system.

Forum List

Back